It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 04:49 PM   #1
(female)

leeanne172 HB User
Being sent for a P.E.E test

Not a pee test .. lol

I'm sure many know what this is 'Transesophageal Echocardiogram' .. my Dr says it most likely won't be for awhile (they figure Feb) but wanted to know if anyone has had any experiance with this test? I have been doing quite a bit of reading on it but of course different articles vary on details .. some say it takes 30 minutes for the test and others say 60 to 90 minutes.

Anyone have any good/bad experiances? I am not afraid of the test but just want a better understanding from people who have had it done rather then just read about what will be done

Old 12-19-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Being sent for a P.E.E test

I had one done but I was really young so (1) I don't remember much and (2) the whole process might be different on a young child. I know I had to take antibiotics for a couple of days beforehand, and before the test I had an IV put in my hand and had to gargle some bubble-gum flavored stuff that made my mouth and everything numb. Then I just had to lay on my side and be still while they stuck this thin tube down my throat, but I was pretty sleepy and it was nowhere near as bad as having a oxygen tube stuck down your throat. Sorry but I don't remember a lot else about it, except that apparently it didn't take very long because I know I left school just before lunch and was home in time to watch afternoon cartoons.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Hey Leeanne, why are you getting a TEE? Do they think you have an infection in your heart? Or do you have some other problem with one of your valves?

Old 12-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #4
(female)

leeanne172 HB User

Thanks for the info Kitten1980

Yes butterflytrans, I have a narrowing of the aotic valve and I am in the process of finding out if it needs surgery or not .. going through the shortness of breath (it's constant not just when active) chest pains and heaviness in the chest, dizziness. My cardio Dr told me they are confident they can "fix it" .. I have also found the cold makes my breathing worse where I thought it would have relaxed it a bit and made it easier, anyway I was told I most likely won't be getting the test til at least Feb because of the backlog of others also waiting for it

Old 12-21-2004, 09:59 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User

Don't they prioritize who needs the test? You sound like you're having quite a few symptoms from this.

The cold air causes you shortness of breath, probably, another reason. Cold air is quite an irritant to lung tissue, and it actually causes bronchoconstriction which is somewhat like an asthma attack. In fact, people with serious asthma can have attacks precipitated by cold air.

Anyway, sounds like you have aortic stenosis..am I right?

Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 PM   #6
(female)

leeanne172 HB User

Yes, just found out about it last month .. was quite the shock although I wasn't completely surprised because my Mom also had it. My cardio Doc is on Christmas vacation til after the new year but I am hoping I hear from them sooner then later and the test is not as far into the future as they say

Old 12-22-2004, 06:26 AM   #7
Inactive

jpos HB User
Post Re: Being sent for a P.E.E test

Hi,

I didn't answer earlier because of the "P", I just stumbled on it today and realized you meant TEE.

Anyway, some cardios will knock you out and some won't. My cardio said he would knock me out and then some idiot in his office sched. me with his partner who wasn't qualified enough or confident enough to knock me out. Fortunately, I was really upset and unwilling to just swallow the transducer/tube and the mgr. of the endoscope lab got wind of my story and found out I was indeed supposed to be sched. with my cardio and knocked out. So they resched me for the following morning with him.

He knocked me out and I only had one moment of pain in my chest and it didn't bother me, because I went right out again. No problems whatsoever during or after the procedure.

Good luck

Old 12-22-2004, 05:59 PM   #8
(female)

leeanne172 HB User

Yeah I guess I should change the title eh? LOL

Thanks for the info

Closed Thread