It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 08:17 AM   #1
(male)

btpoy HB User
Do they ever not proceed with triple bypass

I lost my dad a little more than a year ago after triple bypass surgery. I have been looking for a place to pose some questions about the whole thing and hope this may be a place to provide some insight. My dad had advanced coronary heart disease. The blockages in his three arteries was 90% 90% and 100%. The doctor indicated after the surgery that the veins used were terrible "sausages" from his legs but he had to use them. Additionally he said the blockages were so extensive that he really had to work to find a place to perform the bypasses. Subsequent to that operation they had to insert a pacemaker. He died two days later. My question is once they determined that his veins were so unsuitable could they have just decided there was nothing more they could do for him and not proceed with the surgery or was it a case of once he was on the table given his situation they had to proceed and could not turn back. I want to believe the latter. I forgot to ask the doctor after dad was gone. Thanks for any insights you can provide.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Do they ever not proceed with triple bypass

I guess they would have to weigh the ethics of having performed major surgery on a man with serious blockages which would impair recovery and then not doing anything, against the ethics of performing the surgery on veins that probably weren't going to work in the long run anyway. Sometimes the risks vs benefits aren't real clear cut and this sounds like one of those hard cases. I'm sorry about the loss of your father ((hugs)).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread