It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 11:19 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

siren1024 HB User
MVP, PVC's, pregnancy, anxiety and insomnia!

The last few weeks I have not been sleeping well at all. My PVC's are causing mini panic attacks, probably every few minutes, right as I'm trying to drift off to sleep. I'll wake up with a start and a gasp. At first I thought it might be pregnancy induced sleep apnea, but last night I realized that I wasn't stopping breathing at all. Then I start to worry about everything, my heart, the baby, dying in my sleep of apnea, etc. I do have Mitral Valve Prolapse Syndrome, but it hasn't bothered me much since a stressful time in my life in college until we moved here, away from home, friends and family. I KNOW it's not a serious disorder, and palpitations are just an annoyance, but I still worry and panic. I have little contact with the outside world because I have no car during the day Could pregnancy be aggravating it, too? I know your blood volume increases alot during pregnancy, but I don't remember having this so bad during my first pregnancy. Would you be inclined to think it's more generalized anxiety related? Since we've moved I've had a tendency to be a little too worried about my health, even to the point of being kind of OCD about it. Too many internet searches and stuff. How do I fix it? How do I get a good nights sleep? Last night I finally had to get out of bed and walk around for a while and fell asleep in the recliner. But I didn't sleep well there at all....

Any suggestions for me?
DD born 3/24/2005

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: MVP, PVC's, pregnancy, anxiety and insomnia!

It sounds like you answered your own question regarding whether anxiety may be adding to the problem . Talk to your doctor because pregnancy can cause complications sometimes and also it is important to get good sleep when you're pregnant.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #3

nice sun HB User
Re: MVP, PVC's, pregnancy, anxiety and insomnia!

First of all always see your doctor first when it comes to concerns when pregnant...that said...

You know I often awaken with a start and gasp and I immediately go for the heart. I know I've had anxiety attacks during day/evening and suddenly in sleep. I understand you worry while being pregnant as I was there to with anxiety and mitral valve prolapse. Luckily for me it wasn't as bad as what the doctor had set me up to expect. It came to me just recently that maybe the jarred awake feelings I get at night might be from being so consentrated on my heart, even unconsiously, that I sleep shallowly and can actually feel myself falling into deep sleep, scare myself then wake myself up. I don't know this for sure but I have to offer up other ways of seeing this to try to deal with it but the real kicker to this kind of thinking is having the assurance that what I have is not life threatning. If you have mitral valve prolapse you know it's more an annoyance than a threat. Anxiety attacks are annoyances and we hope they are not caused by a threat--but anxiety often comes hand in hand with mitral valve--your heart can pop around raise an anxiety red flag in your head and than your head runs with it and feeds on the rush and voila fullblown anxiety attack-thank you MVP. I also read that you have a child--once again and forgive me for refering to my own experience as it's the only thing I know--from my own experience I was hit by the over protective mommy syndrom (my name for it) where after my first child was born I was afraid to go out for fear of being in a car accident, my heart problem seemed more awminious, air planes falling on the house, bla, bla, bla... I believe it's all pretty natural to want to be there for your kids and avoid personal dangers particularly when you have no close people support systems. It seems you are holding all this together yourself, some time hubby support even with a great hubby is not enough. Do you have girl friends that you can vent with or maybe trade off kids with so that you could get some restful sleep during the day? Maybe your symptoms are reduced during the daytime (as where/are mine) and can sleep. If sleep is what you're after at night try sleeping on everything--the couch propped with pillows, half reclined in the recliner, your child's bed, try anywhere, try a body pillow. Try sleeping off your heart side. I don't know how far along in the pregnancy you are but if in the second trimester don't sleep on your back, that adds weight to the two main veins that run down your lowerback and that might give you some palp annoyance or cut off circulation to your legs-hate to jump out of bed with an anxiety attack and have no feeling in your legs when you land on them 8^0 It's awful to know night and bed time is comming when you know what's in store, maybe try a different routine--warm milk mmm and good for you, try not drinking lots of fluids too close to bed time so that needing to pee wakes you up if you do sleep.
I don't think your loneliness and cabin fever are doing you any favors either so try to get some air.
I hope you can get comfy and rest -- and other than all this stuff I hope you are enjoying your pregnancy.
Patty

Closed Thread