It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #1

Hawk- HB User
Irregular heartbeat

About three times a week, during the night, when I wake up to go to the washroon, my heart starts beating fast when I inhale air. Once I lay back in bed - it takes a few minutes for the beating to return to normal.
When my heart begins beating fast, I find it hard to breath in adequate air.I can only imagine what my heart is like while I am sleeping.
Does anyone else experience this problem? What is the problem? This problem started 3 weeks ago. I am not out of shape or anything, so I am assuming I have some sort of heart disorder( I could walk 5 miles without my heart beating like it does when I wake up during the night.)

I exercise for 2-3 hours, 3 times a week. I do Yoga, and I have to do deep breathing through my mouth after every exercise- perhaps this is the problem? the air might be dirty or something.
I used to sleep in a room with plenty of green plants, but I took out every plant but two little ones. I just turned 18. I am 6'4" , 250 pounds. I lift weights and I KNOW that's not the problem because I have been lifting for 3 years and have never had a problem. I also take vitamins and eat fairly healthy.

On this board, people seem to be talking a lot about "PVC's" - what are PVC's?

Old 12-20-2004, 05:20 PM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Irregular heartbeat

PVCs are premature ventricular contractions. It's an "extra" heartbeat really, but it feels like a "missed" beat. What happens is the heart contracts to beat again before one beat is finished, so then it's not ready for the next regular beat, leaving a slightly longer than usual "pause" between beats - and causing the next normal beat to have more blood in the heart thus a "harder" beat. Sorry about your problems hon, are there any other symptoms or feelings that are associated with it? What you've described could be a lot of things.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
(male)

2speek2 HB User

i have the exact same thing. it didnt start happening until one night i started to get wierd dreams about having heart attacks and waking up to racing pulse. i told my mom about it and she told me she has the same thing.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:13 PM   #4

Hawk- HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I think I've pretty much mentioned everything.
Kitten1980, do PVCs stay with people for life? And do people die from them?

Also, do you know of any foods that help make the heart stronger?

Old 12-21-2004, 02:28 AM   #5
(female)

Danthespan HB User

I have this problem too....it makes me feel sick and every time it happens a guggling in my bowel area happens seems like fluid or traped air
anyone else like me
Di

Old 12-21-2004, 12:18 PM   #6
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Hawk, PVCs by themselves can come and go, and can occur in perfectly normal, strong, healthy hearts. *OR* they can be caused by some underlying condition which may require treatment. I would hesitate to say that no one dies from PVCs as I suppose that there are conditions in which it could become dangerous - but that would generally be because of the underlying condition causing it, not the actual PVC. But before you worry too much about that you should get a diagnosis - then you'll have a better idea of what is actually going on, and whether or not it is dangerous for you. When it comes to matters of the heart, it really does require individual examination. What one person may live with harmlessly, might need to be treated in another.

Old 12-22-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
(female)

eltwins HB User

I get all of this too!
I have frequent pvc's. They last for a months or so, then a couple of months off, then them come back again. They always scare me everytime they come back. Then I learn to live with them again and they go. I have had my heart checked and am told all is fine and it is something I have to live with. This does not stop me worrying though that they have missed something. At the same time as the pvc's I can feel sick and also have muscle painn in my neck and sinus troubles (blocked nose and facial pain etc.) Somehow I think there are linked as they always come together.

Old 12-23-2004, 11:06 PM   #8

Excelsoir HB User

Do you get very breathless and how long do these episodes last? And no, you do not die from PCVs, but a finding the cause for them is highly desirable. Sometimes no specific cause can be found, but to be sure about your cardiac function, you should see a cardiologist. Regards and all the best,
Excelsoir

Last edited by Excelsoir; 12-24-2004 at 03:22 PM. Reason: vital word "not" left out re death from PVCs

Old 12-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #9

Excelsoir HB User

I AM SORRY FOR MY TYPO. I meant "YOU DO NOT DIE FROM PVC,s"
Sorry,I was horrified when I read my message to you.
Excelsoir ( I have now edited my post accordingly)
Thankyou.

Last edited by Excelsoir; 12-24-2004 at 03:26 PM. Reason: post now redundant-have edited the original re PVCs

Old 12-29-2004, 04:01 AM   #10
(male)

Saywhat HB User

PVC's typically aren't anything to worry about unless they effect you seriously, for instance, if you have so much trouble catching your breath that you pass out. If this is the case, or if it happens too frequently and you want it to stop, there are medications your doctor can put you on to stop them, but it's not a fatal condition, and it won't hinder you from living a normal life.

Old 12-29-2004, 10:26 PM   #11
(male)

ChuckDiesel405 HB User

Karlie9,

I think I have the same thing you do. Whenever I take a nap, or just doze off for a little cat nap, as soon as I get up and start walking my heart beats slow down but have a ton of force behind them. It takes awhile to catch my breath too. Do these symptoms sound familiar?

Closed Thread