It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2004, 04:17 AM   #1
(male)

jerry78 HB User
What Was Your Experience With Drug-Induced Stress Test?

I am debating(due to a back problem), whether I should do my stress test by walking on the treadmill, or opt for the one where they use the drug to stress the heart.

I've heard both good and horror stories' with the drug-induced test, so can anyone share their experience with me to help me make up my mind?

thanks-Jerry

Old 12-22-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
(female)

anon2239 HB User
Re: What Was Your Experience With Drug-Induced Stress Test?

Jerry, I had the induced stress test in Sept and felt it went really well. Just had to lay still. I could feel some various sensations but nothing uncomfortable. I did the tread mill in Nov of 02. Really feel like the one I had in Sept was much better. Just my opinion.
Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 05:40 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I've had both types and I prefer to walk the treadmill. It was not a horrible experience, but I did have alot of chest discomfort like a very full feeling and shortness of breath. That particular test was negative and yet I had a good bit of discomfort evidently just the effect of the drug. I had previously had a stent so I know what chest pain and shortness of breath from blockage feels like and the chemical stress test made me feel as if I had severe heart blockage. As for the back problem I can't relate, because I have no problems with my back or legs. The only reason I was given the chemical stress was because there was too much risk involved to let me walk the treadmill because of previous trouble with my stent closing off and needing emergency heart bypass.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
(female)

marcym3e HB User

anon,
I am having the stress test in the morning and I am really nervous, just thought you'd like to know, your response to Jerry helped.
Because, I have bad legs the treadmill would be too much for me to keep up with.
I have to have my gall bladder out very shortly, but the stress test is in the A.M., the stress test is as scary to me as the operation.
Thank you, marcy

Last edited by marcym3e; 01-02-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:18 AM   #5
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

I had gotten a charley horse in my leg the morning of the stress tst so they did the chemical induced variety.. it was ok have had both before this time i got very sick to my stomach so much so they handed me a bucket and cardoilogist headed for the door ..lol...said he had be pucked on before ... all in all wasn't too bad the sick tummy feeling passed quickly they gave me something iv ...reglan or something ..??? good luck blu

Old 01-04-2005, 05:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jerry,

I've got a bad back but still would always opt for the treadmill test. I judge that being able to stop immediately if a severe problem occurs is more important than avoidance of the 12 minutes of huffing and puffing. I think it gives one more control.

Once they've given you the drug stimulant, you're off to the races with no STOP button. I judge that a minus.

Last edited by Lenin; 01-04-2005 at 05:12 AM.

Closed Thread