It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2004, 12:00 PM   #1
(male)

vinny1957 HB User
Question syndrome x

I am being checked for this condition which involves high suger levels, high trig. and low HDL. The reason I'm posting it here is because I had 3 stents implanted 9/15/04 in one artery and also have mild blockage in another. So, I have CAD (family history as well) but I was told that syndrome x or also called metabolic syndrome is a factor as well. Has anyone heard of this or might have it as well?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: syndrome x

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny1957
I am being checked for this condition which involves high suger levels, high trig. and low HDL. The reason I'm posting it here is because I had 3 stents implanted 9/15/04 in one artery and also have mild blockage in another. So, I have CAD (family history as well) but I was told that syndrome x or also called metabolic syndrome is a factor as well. Has anyone heard of this or might have it as well?
Syndrome X is also known as Insulin Resistance. It is most commonly associated with type 2 "adult onset" Diabetes.

It can cause all kinds of nasty problems, such as high blood pressure, mind fog, sodium sensitivity, heart rhythm disorders, weight gain (especially around the stomach area), water retention, fatigue, kidney and/or liver problems, CAD, and heart problems, among other problems.

There is discussion and information about this problem on the Diabetes board.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-24-2004 at 12:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2004, 01:11 PM   #3

ettig HB User

Syndrom X is a heartdisorder that causes angina in the small vesels on the heart.

From what I understand there´s not test that can prove if you´ve got syndrom X or not. It´s more a question of when everything else have been ruled out, that the diagnose will be Syndrom X.

Old 12-25-2004, 12:20 AM   #4

Excelsoir HB User

To my knowledge the Metabolic Syndrome is caused by Insulin Resistance. Insulin Resistence occurs when your cells do not have enough insulin receptor sites, and so cannot effectively use the glucose in your blood. It is associated with type 2 diabetes.
The Metabolic Syndrome refers to risk factors (such as central obesity, high triglycerides, low HDL, raised BP, Insulin Resistence) for arterial diseases such as coronary artery disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. Syndrome X is an older name for the Metabolic Syndrome. The terminology is a bit confusing, and as "Beerzoids" indicates, you will most likely find out more on the Diabetes Board. Good luck and all the best,
Excelsoir

Last edited by Excelsoir; 12-25-2004 at 12:58 AM.

Old 12-25-2004, 08:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsoir
The Metabolic Syndrome refers to risk factors (such as central obesity, high triglycerides, low HDL, raised BP, Insulin Resistence) for arterial diseases such as coronary artery disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes. Syndrome X is an older name for the Metabolic Syndrome.
I have significant heart disease, including chf, rhythm problems and hypertension. I have been looking for answers and solutions for YEARS and have only found out that my only recourse is to avoid those things that make my heart disease worse, and to take the appropriate heart meds at the right time during the day.

But.......... Finding out about Insulin Resistance is changing my life and my health. It is too early to know the full effect of going on a "Insulin Resistant" diet, but I like what I see so far.

I think that we are going to see a lot more about insulin resistance, and how to prevent or reverse it, on the news over the next year or two.

Last edited by Machaon; 05-13-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Old 12-25-2004, 12:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Vinny,

Syndrome X = Big belly, hypertension, high serum glucose, overweight, rotten blood lipid panel.

These are all effects, many causes are posited, none are proven.

Beat the symptoms one by one!

Old 12-25-2004, 06:23 PM   #7

Excelsoir HB User

Hello Beerzoids,
I think being overweight and certain genetic factors actually cause Insulin Resistance, so the very obvious priority is to have a low glycaemic index, and otherwise suitable, diet, to lose weight and maintain a "normal" weight. The genetic component(s) you cannot alter. Enough insulin is produced by your body, but cannot be properly utilised by the glucose receptor cells. I suppose these receptor cells could be faulty or there is not enough of them. Insulin resistance is seen to be a pre-diabetic situation. So diet and weight control are what is required to bring the undesirable metabolism under control. Although I do not have insulin resistence or diabetes I need to watch my diet and weight because of serious artery and cardiac conditions.
Regards, Excelsoir

Old 12-26-2004, 06:45 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Hello Beerzoids,
I think being overweight and certain genetic factors actually cause Insulin Resistance, so the very obvious priority is to have a low glycaemic index, and otherwise suitable, diet, to lose weight and maintain a "normal" weight. The genetic component(s) you cannot alter. Enough insulin is produced by your body, but cannot be properly utilised by the glucose receptor cells. I suppose these receptor cells could be faulty or there is not enough of them. Insulin resistance is seen to be a pre-diabetic situation. So diet and weight control are what is required to bring the undesirable metabolism under control. Although I do not have insulin resistence or diabetes I need to watch my diet and weight because of serious artery and cardiac conditions.
Regards, Excelsoir
I have read that Insuin Resistance can also be caused in people with normal genetics, who consume too many carbs over too long a time. This causes the pancreas to pump out more insulin to process the extra sugar. Over a long period of time, the body's cells can't handle this increased amount of insulin, and gradually stop responding to insulin, which creates havoc throughout one's body.

I have never been overweight by more than about ten pounds. I have been able to eat and drink (beer) as much as I wanted all my life, without gaining an ounce. I always ate large portions of everything. I would sit down and consume an entire bag of chips, or eat two micro-wave popcorns per day, huge bowls of ice cream, etc., for many years. Plus........ I really loved my beer.

I think that my body finally said that it had enough.

I've been on a high fiber diet for less than two months. I lost 15 pounds in the first two weeks. It seems that at -20 pounds my weight has stablized.

I have seen an improvement in the way I react to newsprint. I've also seen an improvement in my blood pressure. It's too early to tell if this is an anomaly, or tidings of things to come.

Thanks for your response. Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!

Old 12-26-2004, 08:47 PM   #9

Excelsoir HB User

Thank you Beerzoids for the interesting information regarding your previous diet etc. This makes the discussion more meaningful and interesting. Your information re the formation of insulin resistence makes a great deal of sense, and I would not argue the genetics issue too strongly myself. However, we are dealing with a metabolic disorder, and it is clear that diet and relative weight are very relevant. How you did not gain a lot more weight than you did given your food type and amount consumption is a bit of a puzzle. Have you always done a lot of exercise or heavy work over a (longish) period ?
Anyway, you seem to be dealing with your problem now, and good luck to you. You have probably avoided diabetes !!!! All the best, regards,
Excelsoir

Old 12-28-2004, 07:24 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Let me just add a few more observations (perhaps experiments) I have noted and tried on myself in the past few years. My Dx of diabetes came in 2000, at age 33. At the time my HDL was <30, LDL ~ 100 and TG > 600 mg/dL. I was over 220 lbs and sedentary. My diet was awful. I had a heart attack in 2002, and had 2 stents placed. I was on 3 meds for hypertension.

I added exercise (low level) = walking and lost 20 lbs. That left me with LDL < 100, HDL of 30-40, TG around 100, and no more diabetes meds.

I increased the exercise to daily runs and lost another 45 lbs to 155. My remaining hypertension meds were no longer needed. My diabetes was asymptomatic, regardless of how much cake and ice cream I had. My HDL finally was about equal to my LDL (HDL > 60), and my TG readings remain <50 mg/dL, even when I am eating plenty of sugar cookies, bread, and pasta.

In Nov 2003, I still weighed 160 lbs, and dropped my exercise down to 1/2 the distance and 1/2 the days. Impaired glucose tolerance returned. This past Nov (2004), I crept up to 170 lbs, yet exercised 2 x as long (running distance) each day as normal. No glucose problems at all--I did end up running a bit slower, though.

Based on those, it appears that exercise may be a little more important (at least for the diabetes component) than either weight or diet for controlling the symptoms of metabolic syndrome. Of course, if diet and exercise don't compensate for the calories taken in and weight increases, its likely that the problems will eventually return.

Old 01-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #11

Excelsoir HB User

The exercise will utilize available glucose, and so help control your blood sugar levels which need to be kept within the limits set by your doctor. Your diet is of similar importance as your body has to deal with what you consume. Diabetes is a long term condition and may present very little in the way of symptoms for a long time. It is the complications of diabetes which makes it mandatory to take control of your blood sugar levels and also lipid (fats) levels for good measure. Diabetes, as you probably know, can have serious effects on your cardiovascular system, arterial health generally( circulation problems), kidney function and eyesight. Diet, Exercise and good control of your blood sugar levels with your Doctor's advice is the only way to go.Good Luck for the future and stick with a suitable diet and exercise routine.
Regards, Excelsoir

Old 01-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #12
(male)

vinny1957 HB User

Just got done reading "Syndrome X" and you guys good be authors yourselves. What all have said is in this book. What a community!!! Thanks for the help.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
However, we are dealing with a metabolic disorder, and it is clear that diet and relative weight are very relevant. How you did not gain a lot more weight than you did given your food type and amount consumption is a bit of a puzzle. Have you always done a lot of exercise or heavy work over a (longish) period ?
I've never been into exercise, except for golf. I was very skinny until I reached about 30, afterwhich I remained up to ten pounds overweight most of my life, regardless of how much fast food I ate or how much beer or soda I drank. I always figured that I had some kind of weird metabolism. I've also only had about five mild headaches my entire life.

Perhaps I didn't get away totally unscathed. Along with the Insulin Resistance, I've got CHF, High Blood Pressure, heart rhythm problems and am allergic to almost everything that moves or doesn't move.

Quote:
Anyway, you seem to be dealing with your problem now, and good luck to you. You have probably avoided diabetes !!!! All the best, regards,
Excelsoir
Thanks for the kind words. It is difficult dealing with multiple diseases.

Friday afternoon I had about 1/2 cup of a casserole (Shepherd's Pie) that included some cooked white potato. Things seemed to go well, so I had another 1/2 cup around 8:30pm. I am usually careful about eating carbs at night because they usually make me very sick at night, and not during the daytime, but I've been doing pretty good, and thought that this time would be different.

My heart went nuts! High blood pressure, heart erratic and jumping through my chest, difficulty breathing all night, and felt sick and drained all day Saturday.

I've looked up potato on the Internet and it seems that cooked white potato (starch) is just about the worst food for diabetics and for insulin resistance. So..... combining the metabolic changes at night (circadian rhythm) with my insulin resistance, caused about 30 hours of misery!

Have you ever had problems with symptoms getting worse at night?

Closed Thread