It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2004, 09:02 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User
rapid heart beats, and flutterings, and palps. Oh my!

In the early 90's I started experiencing the skipped beat, followed by the more pronounced 'bump'. It would do it several times while lying in bed at night. Went to a Cardiologist. Mentioned mvp, but did nothing. Wasn't worried. Later, I had a faster heartrate. Caused me to go to the ER. I ended up with a halter monitor. Pushed the button when I felt an episode. Later my Cardiologist said that he saw nothing wrong with the Halter test.

I have an Aorta Stenosis [which is why I had a Cardiologist]. They did several tests, ekg, echo, others and after a while of going in every year or so, he said that I didn't need to come back again unless something else starts happening. Well, that was probably about a decade ago and I haven't been to a heart doctor since. At the doctors suggestion, I cut out caffeine. My palpitations only happened once in a great while.

Recently, I've started noticing more palps. One every so often. Last night [and this happened a couple of weeks ago as well], I rolled over on my left side and I had flutterings/rapid heartrate that lasted for a few seconds, then it would go back to normal, though with a little higher heart rate than resting. After a few seconds, it would do it again. When I rolled back onto my back, they seemed to stop.

I've seen some other threads related to this and may try some supplimentary magnisium pills. Perhaps B complex. And continue taking my multivitamine [I've missed the last two nights].

Any comments?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #2

Excelsoir HB User
Re: rapid heart beats, and flutterings, and palps. Oh my!

Hello EDC Light,
These are comments only, and I am not medically qualified, but have a
rather complex cardiac history. There are many cardiac arrhythmias- some serious and some not. These abnormal electrical impulses can derive from the atria (top part of heart) or the ventricles (the bottom part).Some will have no obvious cause, but others will have clearly defined causes.Your cardiologist is the person to study your situation. I don't think vitamins are relevant if you have a reasonable and balanced diet.The same goes for the magnesium. If your heart rate is very high (say above 140 bpm) and chaotic (very irregular) you should see the cardiologist even if it settles down, Hope this helps a bit.Alcohol and nicotine can cause "palpitations" too. Do you have any breathlessness or pain ? What else do you know about the aortic stenosis?
Regards, Excelsoir

Old 12-25-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User

The aortic stenosis is a birth defect where one of the slits in the tricuspid valve isn't as open as the others. Sometimes it is called a bicuspid aortic valve. I was told that I shouldn't play competition sports where I'm pushing myself way too hard. Not a problem with me as I don't do that, nor did I when I was in grade school.

I should probably see a cardiologist, but am not really looking forward to that. My heart rate isn't that high normally. In the 70's most of the time while at rest.

Perhaps some of this is caused by being a little under the weather. I have some phlem (sp?), so I've been taking some robisussin for it.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:21 PM   #4

Excelsoir HB User

Hello EDC Light,
Thank you for the extra information. Why are you so uncertain about seeing a Cardiologist? I have found them to be friendly beasts.The birth defect you have could possibly cause other cardiac problems, especially over a long period, and you need to be monitored by an expert. You could also be advised on how to avoid other problems developing. My previous advise about following up a period of very rapid and very irregular heart rate at the local hospital or your Dr. asap still stands, even if it does settle down fairly quickly. If this is accompanied by breathlessness the situation needs even more attention asap.
I am not sure what robiscussin is ( I am from Australia), but if it contains ephidrine or pseudo-ephidrine this can cause heart irregularities. It is commonly used in de-cogestant-type over-the-counter preparations. If you are not certain what it contains go and see a pharmacist or your doctor.There could be other undesirable (for you) substances in this preparation too. Good Luck & all the best.
Regards, Excelsoir

Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

EDC_Light HB User

The robitussin (sp?) is a cough surpressant and helps loosen congestion.

Anyway, it's been a while since I've been to a cardiologist and made the call to my new doctor for a referal. I'm on a new health insurance plan from a different hospital chain, so new doctors, but I'll have my old info passed on. Now the waiting game. Then the test game. Then the good/bad news game. I hope they all turn out favorable. I feel fine otherwise. Oh well. Thanks for the help!

Old 12-27-2004, 04:52 PM   #6

Excelsoir HB User

Don't forget to check out the Robitussin!!! You may have an answer here. Allthe best and goodluck.
Excelsoir

Old 12-27-2004, 04:57 PM   #7

Excelsoir HB User

Don't forget to check out the Robitussin!!! You may well have an answer here. Allthe best and goodluck.
Excelsoir

Closed Thread