It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2004, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

card HB User
new, 24yof, long road here..

i'm really going to try and be brief, but i've dealt with so much and have so many questions -- i had preeclamsia and renal failure with my pregnancy. since, i have had sob, chest pain, headaches, edema, proteinuria, high blood pressure and so many other symptoms - even though I am only 24 and am 120 pounds. my doctors kept telling me it was panic, but the medication wasn't helping. after numerous trips to the doctor, i finally went to the ER. i ended up FINALLY getting some real tests done. Long story short, chest x-ray showed pleurisy, blood work showed positive ana and low platlets, stress echo showed exercise induced ST depression but was otherwise normal event monitor showed heart rate increases up to 180 just from changing my clothes, 200's with walking up stairs, etc. i was then diagnosed with inapproprate sinus tachycardia. After a positive tilt study, I was diagnosed with neurocardiogenic syncope - I have a history of passing out as a teenager, but not since - my doc thinks i subconsciously "compensate to prevent myself from actually passing out. My EKG's were always normal, until recently. Went into the doctor with +2 edem in my lower extremitites, EKG showed non specific STT changes. My family doctor sent me to my cardiologist, EKG their showed the same changes. I have been on Toprol since October, resting heart rate is still 100 bpm, BP was 142/92 in the office, but then 90/40 ten minutes later. NOW I am scheduled for a diagnostic cardiac catheter in January. I am EXTREMELY nervous.... but more than anything, I'm wondering what exactly it is that they are looking for. What is it they might be thinking? Also, my dad died at age 30 while swimming laps in a pool. They don't know exactly how he died - his autopsy showed his heart was normal, but for some reason, it just stopped. Anyway, if anyone can give me some insight as to what all of these tests may mean, what they will be looking for with the cardiac catheter, what to expect, etc. I am very anxious, very scared, and feeling CLUELESS. Also, lately, my heart starts PUNDING whenever I lay flat, and even on 75 mg Toprol, my resting rate is around 106. Should I be concerned about this? Thank you for your help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-28-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
(male)

vinny1957 HB User
Re: new, 24yof, long road here..

Hi, sounds like you have alot going. I don't know about your other tests but the heart cath looks for blockages in arteries and the general condition of the heart. If you haven't had one before, they go up the artery in your groin (usually) with an optic wire of sorts and the heart is pictured on a screen which you can see yourself. It's not to painful, you will be awake. If they find a blockage, depending on where it's at etc. they can take care of it right then. It's not to bad really! The waiting and being worried is the worst part. So, try not to worry, practice relaxing exercises if you can, because stress and worry can cause your heart rate to go up too. Let us know what they find out, OK?

Old 12-29-2004, 06:37 AM   #3
(female)

card HB User
Re: new, 24yof, long road here..

Thanks, vinney, for the support and advice. I'm really trying to relax, but I'm pretty scared. you are right, waiting IS the worst part. I will keep you posted on what tje catheter reveals. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
(male)

indy_raven HB User
Question Re: new, 24yof, long road here..

Card, have you done your cath yet? If not, try not to worry to much about it (I know, easy for me to say, huh?) I had a MI last year, and they did a cath right afterwards. Was a little spooky going in there, but after the meds kicked in everything was soooooo ok LOL. If you've already had yours, how did it go? Have you heard the results yet?

Closed Thread