It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2004, 08:15 AM   #1

pgeorge HB User
heart rate?

This may be a stupid question but.... I understand that a normal resting heart rate is between 60-100bpm but what is normal when say walking or standing and what would be considered too high. P

Old 01-03-2005, 06:57 PM   #2

Excelsoir HB User
Re: heart rate?

In a healthy person the resting rate would be around 70 bpm. Some trained athletes have a much lower resting rate (say, 55 - 60). As you exercise (walking, running, lifting, any exertion) the heart rate goes up to increase the supply of oxygen to your muscles. It will usually rise fairly slowly, but when it reaches about 140 bpm even a healthy person should ease off. At this rate and beyond you will begin to feel the "beating" and may get other symptoms such as breathlessness. This means you should stop at this level of exertion, and should not be there unless a Doctor has OK'd it with you anyway.A measure of your fitness is the recovery time back to say 80 bpm. As you get fitter this time will shorten. If it takes more than about 10-15 minutes of rest, you should cut back a bit on your effort.As you can see there are no simple numbers that apply to everyone, so you need your Doctor's advise, as he is aware of your health status, and over-exertion can be dangerous. A general rule is that if you feel sick or breathless you should stop, or very gently ease down.All the best,
Regards, Excelsoir

Last edited by Excelsoir; 01-03-2005 at 07:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #3
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

In regards to heart rate and exercise...

First consult a physician before beginning any new exercise program, and STOP and consult a doctor if you have pain, dizziness, shortness of breath, or any questions about your exercise program.

That being said, your normal resting heart-rate is normally in the range of 60 - 100 beats per minute. Your "target" heart rate for exercise should be 60% to 80% of your "maximum" heart rate. This sounds complicated but there are a couple of formulas that you can figure all this out with quite easily. The first is simpler, but less individualized.

First, the abbreviations I will use for the formulas...

Resting Heart Rate = RHR
Maximum Heart Rate = MHR
Target Heart Rate = THR
Heart Rate Reserve = HRR
Training Range = TR

The first formula is quite simple.

220 - AGE = MHR
MHR X .6 = low end of THR and MHR X .8 = high end of THR

Example (round figures to whole numbers)

220 - 24 = 196
148 X .6 = 118
148 X .8 = 157

So my target heart rate would be between 118 and 157 beats per minute

The second formula is a bit more complicated. First you need to get your true RHR. The best way to determine this at home is to take your pulse for one full minute as soon as you wake up three days in a row, and then average those results.

Then...

220 - AGE = MHR
MHR - RHR = HRR
HRR X .6 = low end of TR and HRR X .8 = high end of TR
lowTR + RHR = low end of THR and highTR + RHR = high end of THR

Example

My RHR when taken as described above averages to 61.

220 - 24 = 196
196 - 61 = 135
135 X .6 = 81 and 135 X .8 = 108
81 + 61 = 142 and 108 + 61 = 169

So my target heart rate would be between 142 and 169 beats per minute.

As you can see, the simple formula doesn't take into account your individual normal heart rate, but is easier to figure out. The second one is more complicated but takes your personal stats into consideration. And, the results are similar but not identical - hence the reason that you should discuss what *your* exercise program should entail.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:58 PM   #4
(male)

ChuckDiesel405 HB User

I have a heart rate question, but didn't want to start another thread. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

I'm a 23 year old male, and my resting heart rate up until recently used to be anywhere from 75 to 85. Now I find it constantly in the 60's. At night, it even drops into the 50's. Is this normal? I'm not a trained athlete, but I do exercise and weightlift, and I am still young.

I just started an exercise program about a month ago, and that's when i noticed my heart rate dip lower. Is it normal to dip so much so soon?

Also, I see people saying the normal heart rate is 60-100 beats per minute. If it drops into the 50's, is that dangerous? All help and opinions will be of great help. Thank you!

Old 01-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #5

Excelsoir HB User

Hi ChuckDiesel
Is your heart beat regular with each "pulse" beat feeling much the same ? I am not medically qualified but I would think that your previous resting heart rate of 75-85 bpm was a bit high. As Kitten1980 advises (above) the best way to find your resting heart rate is to take your pulse for a full minute when you wake up (& before any activity)
and average it over three days or so. It is not dangerous in itself for your pulse to drop into the 50s at night, but I would monitor the trend, and anything below 50 bpm should be followed up by a visit to the Doctor. If your have other symptoms such as an irregular pulse, breathlessness, feeling too sweaty and/or sick, you should also see a Doctor. At the moment you should not spend any time worrying, but continue, as you have been doing, to be aware of your body's responses and well-being.All the Best,
Excelsoir

Last edited by Excelsoir; 01-04-2005 at 04:48 PM.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #6
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

For what it's worth, according to the American Red Cross blood donation guidelines, "normal" heart rate is between 50 and 100 beats per minute (I donated blood today )

Closed Thread