It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2004, 09:16 PM   #1
(male)

erikn HB User
heart pounding.......

is it normal to be able to see your chest physicaly pounding in and out with the heartbeat?

.......sometimes when I'm lying down at night, the bed shakes a tiny (a very tiny) bit as a result of this.........

........ I was just wondering if this is normal.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User
Re: heart pounding.......

Yes, Completely normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 01:09 AM   #3
(male)

m37 HB User

i get this too. my ex girlfriend complained she couldn't sleep.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:58 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikn
is it normal to be able to see your chest physicaly pounding in and out with the heartbeat?

.......sometimes when I'm lying down at night, the bed shakes a tiny (a very tiny) bit as a result of this.........

It could mean that your heartbeat is irritated. The irritation could be coming as a result of reactions to a medicine(s), or as a result of an allergic or chemical reaction, or as a result of a temporary hormone change in your body.

Is your heart also pounding faster than normal? If so, then you have some kind of tachycardia.

I used to suffer from fast, very hard pounding, once in a while, until I figured out what was causing it, and avoided the things that were causing my heart to pound hard and fast. When I suffered from the poundings, I made sure that I didn't come into contact with anything else that could have made it worse, at the time.

I suffered with them for quite a few years, and I didn't consider them life threatening for me, but everyone is different.

How long does the hard pounding last, once it starts?

I used to get rid of mine, temporarily, by lying on my back, taking a deep breath, holding it for a couple of seconds, and then letting the breath out slowly and completely. Sometimes that would get rid of the hard pounding after a few breaths, but at other times, it would take many deep breaths.

Best of luck and health, and have a Happy New Year.

Last edited by Machaon; 12-31-2004 at 05:01 PM.

Old 01-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
(female)

TammyAnna HB User

I suffer from a pounding heart beat (made worse after caffine) and was told after many tests that its caused by an electrical fault in the hearts natural pacemaker, although it seems a bit scary i was also told its told its not life threatening.

Old 01-03-2005, 09:06 AM   #6
(female)

babag HB User

Quote:

after my heart ablation for atrial fib/flutter, my heart would pound when i went to bed and layed on my left side so, i would turn over. i noticed that some people have such a strong heartbeat, you could see the beats in their necks. after visiting my cardiologist and told him this, he smiled and said we want it to beat and that it was his job to see to it. i guess his smile said to me, don't be so anxious and it quit after that.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:20 AM   #7
(male)

erikn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babag
after my heart ablation for atrial fib/flutter, my heart would pound when i went to bed and layed on my left side so, i would turn over. i noticed that some people have such a strong heartbeat, you could see the beats in their necks. after visiting my cardiologist and told him this, he smiled and said we want it to beat and that it was his job to see to it. i guess his smile said to me, don't be so anxious and it quit after that.

yeah, I have that.... you can see my hearbeat in my neck at times.....

Old 01-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #8
(female)

babag HB User

but... my cardoligist didn't seemed worryed after i told him i had fainting, fatigue, weakness spells. guess that will be in my next visit. funny i didn't have that before my ablation. maybe it will settle down since he took me off many drugs.

Old 01-03-2005, 04:17 PM   #9
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

I don't know if it's "normal" but I get it a lot and have been told that it is harmless in my case anyway. Funny, I never thought to mention it here as I haven't really given much thought to it in years ... I guess I've just learned to ignore it. But it's interesting to see how many other people have it and have also been told that it's harmless.

Old 01-03-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
(male)

erikn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten1980
I don't know if it's "normal" but I get it a lot and have been told that it is harmless in my case anyway. Funny, I never thought to mention it here as I haven't really given much thought to it in years ... I guess I've just learned to ignore it. But it's interesting to see how many other people have it and have also been told that it's harmless.

I guess I probably shouldn't worry about it then....

Old 01-04-2005, 04:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
How many hours per day, or night, is your heart pounding hard? Does it pound hard all night long? Does it keep you awake?

How about during the day? Ever have any episodes during the day when your heart pounds hard without any apparent cause? How long does it usually last? When your heart is pounding hard, do you feel weak? Does it make you sweat? What problems do you have when your heart is pounding hard?

A heart is not supposed to beat hard like that, while at rest. While it may, or may not, be a problem now, it is not good for a heart to be under additional stress for extended periods of time.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:45 AM   #12
(female)

babag HB User

Quote:
don't let me be your dr. remember, this is my experience and probably not for everyone.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
(female)

babag HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
How many hours per day, or night, is your heart pounding hard? Does it pound hard all night long? Does it keep you awake?

How about during the day? Ever have any episodes during the day when your heart pounds hard without any apparent cause? How long does it usually last? When your heart is pounding hard, do you feel weak? Does it make you sweat? What problems do you have when your heart is pounding hard?

A heart is not supposed to beat hard like that, while at rest. While it may, or may not, be a problem now, it is not good for a heart to be under additional stress for extended periods of time.
i would say my heart pounds occasionally and not for long periods. yes, i have had sweating, weakness and i am usually exercising to some degree. after my surgery, it is less and less and now after 7months post, i haven't had that feeling in bed when i start to go to sleep but i still have sweating, weakness, feeling like i am going to faint. this is usually at my long shopping trips. wonder if my husband worked it out with my doc. so when i shop, i don't feel right. joke!! it seems to be getting better each day and then like yesterday i felt some of the old symptoms like weakness, tiredness and so i took my bp and my hr. bp showed 82/58 and hr about 58 (that's when i felt sorta bad). today it was 108/71 and 88 hr after light exercise. perhaps my toprol xl and rhythmol is keeping it too low.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:20 AM   #14
(male)

erikn HB User

I don't feel weak or sweat or anything....... it just pounds away....... but I feel fine.......

........ocassionally I'll get palpitations.......

........I suppose I should mention that I'm 19.......

Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
I don't feel weak or sweat or anything....... it just pounds away....... but I feel fine.......

........ocassionally I'll get palpitations.......

........I suppose I should mention that I'm 19.......
Does it pound all night long? Do you go to sleep with a pounding heart? Do you wake up with a pounding heart? After you lie down does your heart settle down, or does it keep pounding?

Does your heart pound every night?

Do you have a feeling for how many hours per day your heart is misfiring, and how many hours it is beating perfect?

The reasons for these questions:

The heart is not supposed to pound hard enough to see your chest move or to shake the bed. It is not good for the heart. Most people's hearts are very tough and durable. The heart can take a lot of pounding, but it is not something you want your heart to do.

I am not a doctor, and even if there was a doctor on Healthboards, it would not be appropriate for him to appraise the health of your heart without a visit and without some tests. So........ there is no one on the Internet who can tell you the health risk of what you are experiencing with your heart.

That said, the less frequently that your heart misfires, or pounds, or palpitates, the better it is for your heart.

19? I would love to be 19 again!

Closed Thread