It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2005, 04:23 AM   #1

cajunmommy HB User
Red face 20 mins nonstop pvc's!!

I have had palps for some time now. I went to a cardiologist who has done bloodwork, 2 echos, treadmill, and 30 day looping monitor. They came back showing MVP, and PAC and PVC. Through diet and exercise and taking vitamins and magniusm I have gone from having them everyday to only having them around my period. Last night I had them for 20 minutes nonstop. This has never happened to me before. I was going out the door to the ER when they all of a sudden stopped. I did not feel bad while it went on, just a little out of breathe and scared to death. When they stopped I went immediately to bed. Does anyone know what could have caused this and is there any kind of "trick" to help stop them? Does it do any good to call the doc since it was all checked already and he told me to try and not worry?? I am worried this am that it might happen again.

Thanks for your help,
cajun mommy

Old 01-06-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
(female)

SunnyK HB User
Cool Re: 20 mins nonstop pvc's!!

Some of the "tricks" to try include immersing your face in a bowl of ice water. Also, hold your breathe and push like you are having a bowel movement. My mother has PVC's and they put her on a little bit of digitalis to help this. You might want to ask about this med.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2005, 05:24 PM   #3

cajunmommy HB User
Re: 20 mins nonstop pvc's!!

I went to my cardiologist today and he gave me a 30 day heart card to record the episodes (again) he also have propranolol to take. He told me to only take it when I need it. He said when you have a headache you take tylenol and that is how this works. Has anyone had any kind of experience with this drug?? thank you

Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Tricks that help stop them for me....

Lie cross-ways on a bed, face-down, with your upper body hanging over the edge so that your head is just above touching the floor and your arms are touching the floor (relaxed)

Sudden, vigorous exercise like jumping jacks or running in place or in a circle around the room or just jumping up and down (but get this cleared with your doc before you try it)

Take a hot shower.... or maybe a cold one (different people react to different methods; you might have to try both)... or take a hot shower and then switch it to cold water suddenly (or again, the reverse may work for you).

Holding your breath as mentioned above...

Moderate pressure (not to where it is painful) on your chest with your hand, sometimes this works better standing or sitting and sometimes it works better lying down

Old 01-09-2005, 08:25 AM   #5

KarenBeth HB User

The only thing that has stopped a runs of PVC's is getting up and doing something like housework or something outside the routine you were in when it happened..

That's interesting though about the cold water and ice, I thought that only worked when you go into AFIB..

Last edited by KarenBeth; 01-09-2005 at 08:26 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

eltwins HB User

I am in the Uk and have been diagnosed with 'an ectopic heartbeat' which as far as I can make out is otherwise known as PVC's.
I get 'episodes' of them, sometimes lots, sometimes none.
However, I also get 'flutters', where it feels like the heart is shuddering for about 4-5 seconds. Does anyone know what these are? They happened earlier tonight and I also felt nauseous and kept yawning. Although I don't know how much of that is worry when my heart does funny things.
Have had all this for about a year, but I still worry, that this time it could be fatal!

Anyway does anyone know what these 'shudders' are???

Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM   #7
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

eltwins,

The "shudders" could be groups of PVCs together or PACs which are similar to PVCs but involve the atrium instead of the ventricles.

Have you mentioned this particular symptom - especially if it is new and with the nausea and yawning that comes with it - to your cardiologist? An explanation by an expert of your condition and what symptoms you can expect might help to put your mind more at ease.

Let us know how you're doing okay

Old 01-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #8
(female)

eltwins HB User

kitten1980

Thanks for your reply and concern.

The shudders have happened on and off, but seem a little bit more regular this past month. I am not under a cariologist anymore as they did various tests and felt all was fine and that it was just something I had to live with. I didn't have many shudders then though, if any.

I was just worried that it was the PVC's moving onto a more serious level. I assume you are saying that they are normal also?

Old 01-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #9
Inactive

ralve HB User

Hi,
I actually just posted a 'new thread', but then I saw yours, and wanted to reply. I have been having mostly PVC's for over ten years, and about 3 years ago or so, I had that 'fluttering' feeling, and was diagnosed also with an episode of Atrial Fib. It was caught on a moniter that I had on, and it didn't last very long. I think I've had it alot of times that it wasn't caught, though, because it's a very weird, fluttering feeling. Anyway, the only thing the doctor said to do, is to make sure to take an aspirin a day, because of the blood-thinning effect, because Atrial Fib has the potential to cause blood clots. Other than that side-effect, Atrial Fib in and of itself is not very dangerous. Do you remember when the elder President Bush had it? He was just hospitalized for a couple days, until they were sure his heart was back to normal. If the irregular beat continues, they might sometimes shock it back to normal.
Do any of you notice what might set your PVC's off? Sometimes I think I might have it down pat, like if I eat a heavy, or especially hot meal, but then I will get them really bad when I have been doing healthy things, so it's hard to say. Do any of you take any supplements to help them? I do notice that drinking a lot of water helps. The only thing I've been able to attribute them to is hormone fluctuations, because I would get them worse right before my periods, but now I just kind of get them all the time, every day. There really isn't a day that I don't get them, I just kind of ignore them as much as I can. I choose, for now, to not be on medication, because the experience I had with medication was not good, and also I have read about it, and found that every single anti-arrythmic drug out there right now has the potential to make the problem worse, and more dangerous, than what you might have in the first place, so obviously if I have something that is not life-threatening, I would rather deal with it naturally, than take a drug that could lead to something worse. But, that is assuming that this isn't life-threatening, which sometimes I worry about because of the frequency of mine. I have had them so long, and get them so often, that it's easy to get complacent about them. I know I should make another doctor appointment, and go in and maybe do another holter moniter, but it's just that I have gotten kind of used to them, and they don't bother me as much as they used to. I guess this could be kind of a dangerous attitude, since I could be having something that needs to get checked. I have been through this for so long, though, and went in and out of ER's, and from doctor to doctor, and so maybe I finally got burned out from worrying about it, since I never got any answer anyway. I don't feel like the doctor's have any idea what causes these, and when people come in with them, they just try to treat them with medication, because that is all they feel like they can do. Which leaves us with trying to find things on our own that they can be caused by, and trial and error.
Anyway, thanks for any help, and good luck! Val

Old 01-10-2005, 10:35 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

yugokid HB User

i have them all day everyday, every few beats or so, been goin on for 3 years now, this sounds like nothing new. If i want to get them to stop i'll go do something that gets my blood and heart goin for around 15 min, it works, tho they will come back in a few, i just do that when its more frequent

Old 01-11-2005, 01:10 AM   #11
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

In regards to supplements - I take a daily multivitamin, a potassium supplement, and the herbal supplement hawthorn berries (always check with your doc when starting supplements). It must help because if I'm on a trip and run out or forget to pack them I get more PVCs. I've wondered whether a low-dose aspirin a day would be useful but haven't had a chance to speak to the dr. about it yet. A post a while back where someone mentioned a stroke caused by a ASD (which is what I have) got me thinking about that potential risk... But then, I'm twice as old as they said I would ever be so I don't sweat it too much. Every day is a gift in my eyes considering my initial prognosis. LOL okay this is getting sappy...

Old 01-11-2005, 07:12 AM   #12
Inactive

ralve HB User

Hi, thanks for the replies. I was wondering, kitten, what was your initial diagnosis? Do you have the PVC's? I was wondering if you meant that the doctors had some kind of a grim prognosis as you suggest because of PVC's, as I have.
I take a mulit-vitamin a day, and I don't really know if there is a difference or not. Sometimes, it seems like if I miss one or two, that my heart gets really irritable, but then it's like who knows, cause it will get that irritable also just if I do nothing different. It's so hard to find a cause. I don't drink caffeine, smoke, or drink alcohol. I do eat chocolate, but it dosen't seem to make a difference either. I do notice the tired connection, though. It seems like I feel better with a good nights sleep, maybe it's other things that go along with that, like eating regular meals, etc. Well, thanks again! Val

Old 01-11-2005, 08:29 AM   #13
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Valger, I have a congenital atrial septal defect and at birth it was quite bad - but back then there wasn't a whole lot they could do but send you home and if your parents were of faith tell them to pray. Most of the doctors didn't think I'd last very long but as I got older technology was improving too. They could get better images of the heart and figure out more of what was going on. And lo and behold my heart had somehow compensated on it's own. At some point they changed their minds and said maybe the hole would close on it's own since it seemed to be getting smaller. Well it is fairly tiny now but it didn't close all the way. The PVCs are just one of many 'strange things' my heart does that I live with, but in and of themselves PVCs are rarely dangerous.

Closed Thread