It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
(female)

Leeby HB User
? about open heart surgery

I posted a little while ago about a relative having triple bypass surgery just to have to go back for a second surgery the same day. She's now recovering, even though it's too slow for her. Well, we are now three weeks into recovery. I've been so careful not to be in large crowds, etc, because I don't want to expose myself and my family to germs. I don't want to give her anything else to worry about. However, I'm just wondering, other than using good common sense, when can I start to go out and about again. I even hate to go to the mall. I'm totally germ phobic right now. Anytime my kids sneeze or have a runny nose I panic and skip my visit for the day. I was just wondering what experience you have with this. Thank you!

Old 01-08-2005, 03:22 AM   #2

slowgoer HB User
Re: ? about open heart surgery

Leeby,

When I had bypass surgery, I was pumped so full of antibiotics I don't think anything could have made me sick. I think it is more important that you show-up at your relatives, especially if he or she is alone. Your relative probably could use a cheerful face and smile to brighten up the day. Recovering from bypass surgery is NOT very much fun and it is easy to get "down" in the dumps. Taking your relative for a short walk would be a good thing as exercise is very important and it helps to get up and around.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya again Leeby,

I remember your posting last time. You are so supportive it's great for your relative.

I posted a very long reply, but my pc went down ggrr. Never mind, I'll condense it for you he he.

Don't please get too hung up on germs and so on. You'll get phobic yourself, and then that will be dreadful. As slowgoer says, you can be of best help to your relative by visiting her. Talking her short walks and then building them up. Listening to her fears, talking about things together, and having a good laugh and giggle with her will also do her the world of good.

Obviously you can't go to see her if you or your family or friends have colds and so on, but to try and avoid germs altogether can't be done. She will get stronger hopefully and be less prone to infection, so please don't worry about it too much.

I had my surgery 20 months ago, and I am still in recovery so don't worry, it has been such a short time for your relative.

I also have lupus which is an auto immune disease and I have to be very careful of infection, colds in people and all sorts of things, but if I tried to avoid all germs and so on I would not have a life at all. Please don't worry. Just keep anybody who has colds, flu or anything like that away from her and things will be ok.

She is so lucky to have you. I wish you were my relative.

Take care and give her my regards. Don't forget any more questions, come back.

Regards

goldenwings

Old 01-08-2005, 12:21 PM   #4
(female)

Leeby HB User

Thank you, "Slow Goer" and "Golden Wings." I'll keep being cautious but I will start to return to having an active life again. Do you remember how long it took you in your recovery until you were allowed to go out and about, even if it was just to visit a relative? Thanks!

Also, Golden Wings, you said you were still recovering. I was just curious about that. Is that pain, breathing problems, etc.? I guess I didn't think it would take that long to recover. I hope you feel better soon.

Old 01-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Leeby,

Here in the UK, you are usually given the go ahead to fly after six weeks, so your relative should be able to start getting out and about. I was told to go on short walks almost immediately after coming home. Mind you perhaps it might be different for her, because if I remember correctly you said she had had a further surgery. The only person to give the go ahead with this information is the surgeon I think.

My healing time is much slower because I have lupus which causes me a problems. I have costochondritits which is inflammationof the rib cage, so it is my health problems that have caused the slowness in my healing. I also have other quite serious medical problems, so things are going to take longer.

Just remember this is me. Don't worry that this is going to be the case for your relative. I had two serious heart attacks before my surgery, which obviously makes things difficult. I also had to have part of my pericardium cut away so I had quite complicated surgery.

Take care,

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 01-12-2005 at 07:48 AM.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:44 AM   #6
(female)

Leeby HB User

Thanks for getting back to me Golden Wings. I guess we'll just let her tell us when she's ready for things. I'm sorry to hear your recovery hasn't gone quickly for you.

Old 01-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Leeby,

I'm fine, I don't let it get me down. I accept that I'm in a mess with my health but things could be worse couldn't they? He he.

Hope your relative continues to do well. You look afer yourself too.

Bi for now

goldenwings

Closed Thread