It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2005, 10:56 AM   #1

Ramie HB User
Heart Infection

Hi -

I'm new to this board. I have some concerns about my husbands health. I was wondering if these was such a thing as a heart infection?

I wondered about this because he has been having lots of edema in his feet and ankles. He also has high blood pressure and takes hyzzar for this. But he developed a severe foot infection and started antibiotics. Much to our surprise within the matter of a few days, he lost about 20lbs of water weight. The swellowing went down in his feet and ankles so much so his shoes would stay on.

I really hope to hear back from someone on this. Thanks in advance.

Stay well,
Ramie

Old 01-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Re: Heart Infection

Yes, there is such thing as a heart infection. Endocarditis is an infection of the heart muscle itself, and Pericarditis is an infection of the lining that surrounds the heart (or maybe I have the terms backwards... not an expert sorry). I'm not sure if that in combination with high blood pressure would cause the symptoms and reaction to antibiotics you described... it sounds more likely that the infection in the foot was causing the edema perhaps? But at any rate, if you suspect heart involvement, by all means ask your doctor about it. Better safe than sorry, ya know? Keep us posted on what you find out .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 06:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

goldenwings HB User

Hiya Kitten,

Yes, you have it the right way round.

Dear Ramie,

I personally used to have frequent bouts of pericarditits (fingers crossed not since my heart surgery, as they cut part of my pericardium away). The pericardium is the sac that surrounds the heart muscle. It can become inflamed or have an infection in severe cases. I personally did not have any water retention or swelling in my feet and legs because of this. As this was the sac and not actually the heart muscle I can't comment on what affect endocarditis would have on swelling and water retention.

I'm not medically trained, but I too think your husband needs to go to his doctor. Might I also suggest that perhaps he asks if it would be advisable to go on a low dosage of diuretics. They hopefully would then stop fluid build up in his system. Just an idea.

Hope things improve for your husband and yourself soon.

Regards

goldenwings

Last edited by goldenwings; 01-10-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:01 AM   #4

Ramie HB User

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. He is on Hyzzar for his high blood pressure which is part diuretic which is why I was concerned that he was also having such edema in his feet and ankles. While the foot infection is gone, he continues to have swelling. We recently saw a cardiologist but I am just concerned that he may not know enough or whatever. He did think the my husbands sleep apnea was causing the fluid retention since the left heart was not getting enough oxygen. I just wanted to get your opinion on all of this. I know that no one knows better than those who walk in "the shoes"- if you know what i mean. I have addisions disease and I can see it a mile away in someone else.

Stay well,
Ramie

Thanks so much.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #5
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

The cardiologist only knows what you tell him - write down all of your husband's symptoms, concerns, etc. before your next appointment and then bring it up. There are a *lot* of things that could cause edema and if it continues to be a problem I am sure the cardiologist will want to figure out what that cause is. Be wary of searching for symptoms on the internet... If I had a sore throat with swollen lymph nodes in my neck and a fever, I could type that in a search engine and get diseases that "match" my symptoms everything from strep throat to HIV. The internet is a wonderful research tool but don't let it fool you into thinking that you can make a diagnosis from it.

Closed Thread