It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2005, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User
Allergy Meds That Work & Don't Aggrevate Heart

Has anyone who gets PVCs found an allergy medicine that (a) actually works LOL and (b) doesn't aggrevate the PVCs? Ironically enough, the only thing that ever worked for me was Dimetapp *before* the FDA pulled phenylpropanolamine from the market (that was the active ingredient - now it's psuedoephedrine, which works but makes my PVCs worse too).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 05:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Allergy Meds That Work & Don't Aggrevate Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten1980
Has anyone who gets PVCs found an allergy medicine that (a) actually works LOL and (b) doesn't aggrevate the PVCs?
I've been able to use a corticosteroid nasal spray and asthma spray without an increase in my heart rhythm problems.

There must be something in the air tonight. Just put the garbage out by the curb and now my heart is jumping all over the place, feel warm and my shoulders are aching somewhat. The night's my worst time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

beerzoids, do you mind if I ask what the names of the meds you use are? I will of course consult with a doctor before trying anything new... I'm not looking for medical advice just ideas that might work . I do have mild asthma but (thankfully) it's never required intervention... the once-in-a-year-or-six-months that I have a attack that doesn't alleviate itself by just stopping what I'm doing and doing breathing techniques, OTC primatine inhaler works almost instantly (but given the increase in PVCs after *that,* I think I'd be in real trouble if I had to use anything stronger).

Old 01-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten1980
beerzoids, do you mind if I ask what the names of the meds you use are?
I used Beconase AQ for my sinuses and Qvar for my Asthma, both of which are a corticosteroid named: beclomethasone dipropionate.

When first getting on a corticosteroid, it can take a couple of weeks before it becomes effective. Corticosteroids are maintenance allergy meds, which are designed to be taken every day.

For me, after the med becomes effective at the dose that the doctor recommends, I try and find the minimum amount that I can take and still get relief.

I've got significant heart disease, and am mulitiple heart meds. These corticosteroid sinus and asthma meds are my only meds that don't give me any side effects at all.

Old 01-11-2005, 02:00 AM   #5
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Thanks beerzoids... I'll ask my doc about what options there are for me... I'm hoping to find something that isn't prescription, or at least that isn't a maintenance prescription. Right now I am not on any prescription meds and I'd like to keep it that way as long as possible, ya know?

Old 01-11-2005, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I purchased Coricidin HBP over the counter. It's a cough suppressant, antihisamine that also relieves runny nose and sneezing. It's decongestant free and I just took one and it's worked now for close to 24 hours. It can be taken every 6 hours but I haven't felt the need. PVC's are not really my problem although I do have them occasionally. I've had bypass surgery and therefore cannot take a decongestant because of effect on the blood pressure.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:01 AM   #7
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

Thanks NineLives. Does it make you sleepy? I've tried benadryl (sp?) and while it seems to work it also puts me to sleep so that's only useful at night lol .

Old 01-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

No I didn't notice any ill effects at all. I was very satisfied with the medication. I had been a Tylenol Sinus user, but it caused me to feel some tightness in the chest so I'm glad to have something that I can take that doesn't give me that feeling. I didn't notice any drowsiness.

Old 01-12-2005, 09:13 PM   #9
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

My dad has high blood pressure and I think coriciden is what he uses. I'll have to check into that. Maybe it will work for me. Thanks for the suggestion .

Closed Thread