It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 03:11 AM   #1
(female)

littleone1972 HB User
Ablation for SVT

Well some of you may have seen me posting on here a while ago asking about ablation for an SVT, well guess what I bit the bullet and had it done Saturday! For those of you who have SVT, who like me don't want to be popping pills for the rest of your life and to have this constant worry over your head I give you one piece of advice, DO IT, this will radically change your life. I have had SVT from life but it only really manifested in the last 15 years and this last year has gotten worse. After years of fighting with doctors who kept telling me I was anxious and years of ECG which showed nothing I got myself referred to a cardio and and captured an attack, I had a SVT rate of 274, some anxiety huh so after talking through the risks with my cardio and my family I decided to go for it..., what these guys don't tell you is that on a long term basis if your heart rate is as high as mine was getting it can cause death in your 20/30's, it can lead to stroke or heart attack in later life and you know what that was what convinced me to do it. I am 32 and I don't want the threat of this hanging over me for the rest of my life. I have lost 15 years of my life to this crap and for the sake of fear, being frightened, and for 2 hours of discomfort there was no choice. I tell you I never slept the night before and ten minutes before I was due to go dwon I wasn't going but boy am I glad I did go. Just so you get the picture straight guys I am terrified of hospitals, operations, and I mean terrified, a real phobia, but you know what I did that procedure with nothing, no anaesthetic, no sedative, no pain relief. I won't lie it was uncomfortable, especially lying for so long with your heart bouncing around. But I cut my procedure time down from 4 hours to 2 by being co-operative, relaxing and helping the surgeon do his job. You got to learn to breathe, breathing correctly helps you handle the pain and the pain of ablation doesn't last long 90 sec bursts. I had to have a lot of ablations, more than a regular person but I did it. So I just want all of you guys to know you can do this, don't be afriad and don't live like a hermit for fear of your heart racing and having to pop a pill. I'm two days after the procedure, sure I feel like I've been battered and bruised, I'm exhausted from the mental stress and worry and my groin hurts a little as does my chest. The next 3-6 months will take time to heal and I feel positive that I can now handle the healing, the dizziness and the extra beats. YOu can read all sorts of scary stuff on here and the people for whom it went well don't post thats why I wanted to, to share that it is ok and that there is nothing to be afraid of but your own fear. I have a 95% rate of success and you know what I am in a much better place than I was for the last 18 months. If I can be of any help to anyone considering this, if you want to ask any questions, I will give you an honest answer but please please please the anguish of worrying about doing it is a hundred times worse than the actual procedure itself...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread