It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2005, 04:03 PM   #1
(female)

venezia HB User
Heart flutters

I'm new at this so hope I'm doing this correctly. I've read a lot of the posts and some sound very similar to my situation. I'm a 52 yr. old female and I think I'm going through perimenopause and am just wondering if the heart sensations I'm having could be hormone related. I started having weird sensations probably 5 or so years ago (not very often) but lately they've been increasing. Sometimes it feels like I my heart is fluttering or quivering, sometimes like a big thud and then a rush of adrenaline and I'm hot for a minute or two. Sometimes it feels like a tickling and I'm not sure if it's actually my heart or if its my esophagus. Does anyone know of getting fluttery feelings in the esophagus? Often after I get this feeling I feel the need to cough. A couple of years ago I had the halter monitor test but it didn't show anything of importance. I think the dr. said I had PVC's. But naturally, when I had the testing done I didn't experience but one or two slight sensations. And as you all know, when you have these it just makes you all the more nervous and anxious. I don't have any pain with them and the dr. doesn't seem concerned whenever I mention I'm still having the funny feelings. I do have a hiatal hernia but do not take any drugs for anything. I think I'm in pretty good health but these palpitations really make me anxious. I don't like to take medicines of any kinds and am a firm believer in vitamins and herbs. Does anyone have any comments or experiences to share? THanks a bunch!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
(female)

myaro HB User
Re: Heart flutters

Hi Venezia, reading your message was as though I had written it myself. I too have had flutters and palpitations for over 5 years now. I am 38 and at the age of 33 experienced a TIA (mini-stroke), this left me with palpitations and fluttering in the chest, yes the need to cough too. I often awake during sleep with palpitations and very high blood pressure 200/100 being the worse reading just recently. I take beta-blockers and aspirin. I have disturbed ambulance crew on a number of occasions and they become frustrated with me as I refuse hospital transportation on the grounds that, it usually returns to normal within 30-60 minutes. During the monitoring though, it is scarey as the readings are very abnormal, I suffer from ectropic beats, PVCs, fluttering and heart under enormous stress. I really worry as this is ongoing for 5 years. As I am young for such a problem, my greatest fear is wondering whether I'll actually reach my twilight years with this and how it will affect my heart and will it be able to cope.
Jackie

Old 01-13-2005, 07:20 AM   #3
Inactive

ralve HB User
Re: Heart flutters

Hi Venezia~~
Wow, your situation does sound familiar!! I am 45 years old now, and been having these palpitations since I was about 30. When they first started out, I didn't have any idea what they were, and now, this many years later, I am still struggling and learning about them. I think the thing that gets better with time, is the fact that you become less anxious about them, and learn to live with them. Think about this.....when I first started getting them, I would get a PVC, and my whole body would jump, it was like something I couldn't even control, and now, I have a PVC probably every 10 to 20 beats on the average, and just try to ignore it, and live with it. Of course, my body does not jump anymore when I get them, I'd be walking around jumping out of my skin! My point is that you and your body get used to them after a while. I know they are hormone related because even though I was only 30 when they started, I found out after researching it, that you can have menopause symptoms years before it actually starts, and sure enough, I went through menopause early, my periods starting getting irregular in my late 30's. Then, I remember I had the palpitations so bad this one last summer, they were so bad that I even had an epidsode of Atrial Fib that was caught on a holter moniter (just a short one) and then, right after that, my periods completely ended, and so did the palpitations. I went probably a whole year without any noticeable palpitations, just maybe some anxiety stuff. Then, out of the blue, they came back. After one whole year, I started getting them again, and sure enough, a period followed out of the blue. But now, I haven't had a period in probably about 8 months, and still have the palpitations really bad. The less you worry about it, and just try to live with it, the better off you are. You remind me of myself, because I have researched this alot, and have chosen not to go on any medication for them. Of course, you need to ask your doctor about your specific situation, but here is what I have learned. Every single anti-arrythmic drug out there right now has the potential to make your situation worse, and even take a non-dangerous situation, and potentially make it dangerous. So, obviously, I figured that if my palpitations were not life-threatening (and that is important to distinguish) then I should try to get by with natural treatements, and no medication. If my situation should change, and a new arrythmia occurs, this might change, but for now, the PVC's are supposedely annoying but pretty harmless. In and of themselves, I don't think they are dangerous from what my doctor tells me, and my own research, but this might change as I get older, and maybe get some other heart issues going on. But, for now, I have a ten year old, and need to do what is best for making sure I stay healthy now. I also try all kinds of different things on my own. For one, exercise really helps. Drinking alot of water helps. I also learn things that aggravate them, such as lack of sleep, stress, or eating a large or hot meal. Certain positions make them worse, like when I'm lying in bed at night, I sometimes will change my position, and they will calm down. I only take a multi-vitamin each day, and don't think I've noticed much difference with the different supplements that I've tried. I drink that Sleepytime tea by Celestial Seasonings, no caffeine, and that can help. I went on medication twice before, and each time, it would help for a while, only for them to come back it seemed even more aggravated. I don't like being on medication unless I need to. I do take one aspirin a day, I don't know if the PVC's themselves increase your risk of stroke, but I know that Atrial Fib does, so I do that just to be safe. The doctor advised the aspirin therapy, but now says I could probably go down to a baby aspirin, but I haven't done that yet, I guess just since my palpitations are so frequent, it feels like a safe thing to take a regular aspirin. Well, I hope this helped, it really is a very common thing, and remember that you can live with them, and just think of it as the normal way that your heart beats. Try to imagine that a PVC is a normal feeling, and that this is the normal rhythm of your heart. Good luck! Val

Closed Thread