It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #1
(male)

LovinSL600 HB User
Beta Blockers and getting in the fat burning zone

I am finding it extremely hard, actually impossible to get my heart rate into the fat burning zone during my workouts because of the beta blockers I am taking.

I remember from the stress echo that you need to stop the beta blockers a few days before that test in order to get your heart rate up to an acceptable level for the test.

When you are on beta blockers and falling short of your target fat burning zone, are you still burning fat? I would not think so but wanted to ask.

What do others do that are on beta blockers but want to work out and get their rate in that fat burning zone to improve their weight loss?

I know the cardio workout is still good but I want to get into the zone to help my weight loss.

I have lost 31 lbs since my quintuple by bass and need to get off another 20 lbs. The first 31 were not that tough but the last 20 won't come off that easily even with a major change in diet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by LovinSL600; 01-12-2005 at 08:17 AM. Reason: fix title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Beta Blockers and getting in the fat burning zone

Lovin,

I think the fat will come off dependent only on the intensity and length of the exercise. After all, it's the legs (mostly) and ancillary muscles doing the work and thus burning calories. The hard part is guaging (gee, that word looks goofy) whether you are working hard enough since you have nothing to monitor except the clock. Of course if your slow heart rate fails to allow the heart to allow the mucles to work long enough and you quit after 5 minutes, then you're not getting much fat burn.

But I always concentrate on the cardiovascular aspect, and as you know, the cardio-level REQUIRES an even higher higher heart rate than fat-burn and I think as a result, cardio workouts are very poor or useless on beta blockade; the pills actually PREVENT any benefit, they're designed not to allow it.

Beta blockers and excercise just don't seem to go together no how, no way!

Last edited by Lenin; 01-14-2005 at 06:19 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #3
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

I would urge you to discuss this with your doctor, as staying physically fit and maintaining a healthy weight through exercise are important to good overall health.

Old 01-15-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
(male)

mikey51 HB User

Hi LovinSL600:

I was wondering how long it took before you were allowed to resume exercise after your bypas.. I have been lifting weights for the last 30 years so I can't stand the thougt of life without lifting.

I wouldn't worry to much about getting into the fat burning zone. If your cals are low enough you will lose weight no matter what..
I have seen many bodybuilders get their body fat very low,( 9 and 10 percent without any cardio). It might take you a few days more to lose all the weight but it will come off if you are movng and burning calories..

Old 01-15-2005, 08:17 AM   #5
(male)

LovinSL600 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey51
Hi LovinSL600:

I was wondering how long it took before you were allowed to resume exercise after your bypas.. I have been lifting weights for the last 30 years so I can't stand the thougt of life without lifting.

I wouldn't worry to much about getting into the fat burning zone. If your cals are low enough you will lose weight no matter what..
I have seen many bodybuilders get their body fat very low,( 9 and 10 percent without any cardio). It might take you a few days more to lose all the weight but it will come off if you are movng and burning calories..
I was told by my cardiologist and surgeon that I could start doing major activities after three to six months depending how I felt. They said after six weeks you could start some activities but I am sure they did not mean serious weight lifting. After six months you can do anything, even ski which I am really wanting to do. Between 3 and 6 months its how you feel and they keep saying to me just listen to your body. My three month appointment will be in February and I will post and let you know what they say.

Thanks for your advise about losing weight.

Last edited by LovinSL600; 01-15-2005 at 08:21 AM.

Old 01-15-2005, 11:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I would imagine the two areas that you;d have to treat gingerly are the leg from which the vessels were harvested and the chest which was split open.
I;d imagine the LAST things you'd be able to do well arre bench presses and flies...OWWW!

Closed Thread