It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
(female)

myaro HB User
elecrophysiology study

Has anyone had this test. Involves pacing wires directly attached to the heart? Please let me know as I am on a wait list for this. Thank you heaps

Jackie (38 yrs old)

Old 01-12-2005, 11:49 PM   #2

Excelsoir HB User
Re: elecrophysiology study

Hi Myaro,
Electrophysiological studies of the heart involve, as you say, placing wires into the heart. This is done so that the heart muscle can be electrically stimulated and abnormal rhythms etc may then be studied. I am answering your question generally as I don't know why you are having the procedure (or your history) and I am not medically qualified. However, I have undergone the procedure twice myself to stimulate ventricular tachcardia. In my case the procedure was done under heavy sedation, ie not a general anaesthetic. The wires are passed up to the heart via various arteries after a catheter is inserted in the artery in the groin area.This sounds a bit gruesome but is pretty straight forward and not uncomfortable even without sedation.You need the sedation if your heart is electrically stimulated. The procedure is usually carries out in what is called a cathether lab. which is like an operating theatre (room) with more imaging equipment.It is not a distressing or painful procedure so don't worry about it, especially when you go in to have it and see all the equipment! Your groin area will be a bit sore for a couple of days.I would be interested to know why you are having these studies done and other cardiac details if you would not mind. All the best.
Regards, Excelsoir

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2005, 12:03 AM   #3

slowgoer HB User

Hi Myaro,

Like Excelsoir said, an EP study is not a bad deal at all. I had one prior to getting an ICD placed. They use this study to map the electrical pathways your heart is using to control beats and so on. A catheter is used to go into the right side of your heart. I was given Versed and didn't feel a thing and don't remember very much either.

The technicians and the EP doctor I had were very informative before during and after the procedure I had. You didn't say why you are having this study done, but I hope that everything works out well for you.

Old 01-16-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
(female)

littleone1972 HB User

Hey Myaro
you really have nothing at all to worry about. I have just returned after having an ablation for AVNRT and have a 95% success rate... I'll know more after 3 months :-)
Please do not worry about the study... I was a complete wreck before going down to the lab but you know what these guys really know what they are doing and should anything go wrong (very very unlikely!!!) you are in the best hands you could ever be in. I had mine down without sedation, (I am allergic to most anaesthesia) and you know what I can put my hand on my heart and honestly tell you you do not feel a thing. YOu get a local in your groin, the catheters get fed up in seconds and you feel nothing at all! Your heart bounces a little once they go in, just like what you probably already experience. It's uncomfortable in the sense you are lying on a hard table and not able to move your body around, and your heart races around, but nothing I'm sure you don't already have. It doesn't last long around 10 secs each time they do it and they CAN stop it. In fact it was really interesting looking around at all the monitors and they all talk and make you feel real relaxed in the room. It is in no way gory or anything and this is from me I real hospital and squeamish person. The best thing about having no sedation is you come out feeling great and normal. Good luck hope it goes really well for you.

Closed Thread