It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #1

Riker1964 HB User
Unhappy Treadmill Stress Test

Do you know of anyone who has ever died or have had a heart attack/stroke from having one of these things, either during, post, the next day, the next week, etc?

I have a treadmill stress test coming up in a week or so and cause I am out of shape bad, I am nervous about it.

Thanx,

Riker1964

Old 01-17-2005, 10:24 AM   #2
(male)

mikey51 HB User
Re: Treadmill Stress Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker1964
Do you know of anyone who has ever died or have had a heart attack/stroke from having one of these things, either during, post, the next day, the next week, etc?

I have a treadmill stress test coming up in a week or so and cause I am out of shape bad, I am nervous about it.

Thanx,

Riker1964
You might want to ask them if you can switch to a chemical stress test..I hurt my back a few days before the test so I could not walk on a Treadmill.
The chemical test lasted for 6 minutes and I was done. They said it would make me uncormfortable but to be truthful I really didn't feel anything until the end and then it was over..
The chemical they use is called adenosine or adneosine..Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 10:37 AM   #3
(female)

ladychecotah HB User

I have had several nuclear stress tests and though I have a serious heart condition, I have found that the administrator is very willing to let me quit when I need too. He will need to know 1 minute before you have to quit if possible so he can inject the dye. I have had to use nitro after I get off the treadmill test. Watch your body and they will be watching your monitor heart rate etc and Hopefully it will be ok.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:56 AM   #4

Riker1964 HB User

The last time I had one (2001), I had no troubles except afterwards sitting down, I was really lightheaded. Do you know if that is just being out of shape or something else?

Thanx!

Old 01-17-2005, 10:58 AM   #5

Riker1964 HB User

Forgot to add - I passed in 2001.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
(female)

sivad HB User

Don't worry too much. You will have a cardiologist and RN by your side during the entire test. They will let you stop when your feel fatiqued. The chemical stress test is like having a heart attack. You may have trouble breathing, etc. Again, you will have professionals right by your side. To my way of thinking, the laying still for 20 to 45 minutes for the pictures was much more uncomfortable. I have had 7 stress tests in all, 3 nuclear, 3 chemical, 1 regular. Good luck, you will likely be just fine.

Last edited by sivad; 01-17-2005 at 11:15 AM.

Old 01-17-2005, 12:41 PM   #7
(male)

mikey51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivad
Don't worry too much. You will have a cardiologist and RN by your side during the entire test. They will let you stop when your feel fatiqued. The chemical stress test is like having a heart attack. You may have trouble breathing, etc. Again, you will have professionals right by your side. To my way of thinking, the laying still for 20 to 45 minutes for the pictures was much more uncomfortable. I have had 7 stress tests in all, 3 nuclear, 3 chemical, 1 regular. Good luck, you will likely be just fine.
I have to agree with Sivad laying on the chair with my bad back was the hardest part of the test..

by the way Sivad, are you from memphis??

Old 01-18-2005, 06:34 AM   #8

Riker1964 HB User

Thanx for the replies, but my original question was never answered...does anyone know of anyone who has died taking a physical stress test (treadmill only - no drugs, not nuclear) - either during, after, day after, week, month after?

Thanx again,

-Riker1964

Old 01-18-2005, 07:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker1964
Thanx for the replies, but my original question was never answered...does anyone know of anyone who has died taking a physical stress test (treadmill only - no drugs, not nuclear) - either during, after, day after, week, month after?

Thanx again,

-Riker1964
Riker:

I do not know anyone (including myself--had 4 of them) who has died during a stress test, from the exercise portion of the test. However, I know of many who have died from heart attacks that were not in the middle of a stress test. Based on this, I still don't think you can draw any conclusions from these

Not to be morbid, but if I absolutely had to have another MI, I would want it to occur when there was medical personnel and an AED near, rather than take my chances at some remote sight (based solely upon probability of survival the sooner one is defibrillated after cardiac arrest).

Old 01-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
(female)

Kitten1980 HB User

I'm just going to take a wild guess and assume that there is probably a slightly higher percentage, statistically speaking, of persons dying from heart-related conditions during or soon after a stress test, than compared to persons who did not have a stress test.

But, the fallacy in that is, the people who usually have stress tests are usually at a greater risk for heart-related troubles to begin with.

Association doesn't always mean cause and effect... *If* there are more people who have had heart-related events or deaths soon after a stress test, I highly doubt that it was *caused* by the test.

Closed Thread