It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
(female)

wmjsease HB User
Question question about cardiologist and chest pain

I've been having chest pains for a couple of months now. Sometimes they are really sharp, sometimes they are dull. Also sometimes I have a squeezing sensation. I'm short of breath, but that comes and goes. I never have palpatations or racing heart. The pain is mostly in the middle between my breast, mostly on the left side. Sometimes it's on the right, but not much. My left shoulder hurts sometimes, and my neck and jaw goes numb sometimes. I did see a cardiologist about 3 months ago for this, and he did some blood work, and ekg, and an echocardiogram. All of which came back normal. He said heart wise I should live to be 100. I am overweight. I'm 5'4" and 240 pounds. I've recently lost 50 pounds, which is funny because all of this started after I lost the weight. The pains are getting worse everyday, but not to the point where they are unbearable. My question is could the echo have came out normal even with a heart problem. Could I have a blockage or something. Or does this even sound heart related. Any advice would be appreciated. The pain isn't brought on by anything. Should I get another opinion by another cardio doc. Please help.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

Teri16 HB User
Re: question about cardiologist and chest pain

Hi! I'm no Doctor, but I think you need to go back to one!! The symptoms that you are describing are very typical of heart problems, and yes, the tests you've been given could show false negatives! My husband had a stress test that actually showed a blockage and when they did the heart cath it was clear. His was a false positive, which happens at times, as well. I don't want to scare you as there are other medical problems that show some of the same symptoms such as GERD and Asthma at times-I know cuz I have Heart Disease and the other two! Please let us know when you see another Dr.!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I completely agree. Those tests you mentioned did not indicate blockage in my case, but I did have blockage. The fact that the symptoms are getting worse could be iminent signs of a heart attack about to occur. Make that call and get an appt. soon!

Old 01-23-2005, 06:21 PM   #4

KarenBeth HB User

I would go back to the DR and get a second opinion. The tests that you mentioned don't seem to cover all the basis and I would not hesitate to ask for more tests. If you lost 50 pounds and your doing great on your weight loss and eating better, symptoms should NOT be getting WORSE but getting BETTER.. go back, ask for more tests..

Old 02-21-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
(female)

wmjsease HB User

hello. I went back to the cardio, and they did an Ekg and said everything looked normal, but they are scheduling me for ANOTHER stress test. He still doesn't want to do any more imaging since I'm so young and am a female with periods. I had to go to the ER about a week later, but they did a chest xray, blood work, ekg and all was normal there too. I was having a lot of discomfort. I'm still having discomfort, along with chest pressure that comes and goes. I guess I need to go to another cardio. My throat has been getting these spasm/choking like feelings in them, and I still go numb in my left jaw, but recently started in my mouth also. Not sure if this is all related though. Any advice. I'm so tired of everyone telling me I'm too young, and that my risk is to low. Just wish they would finally do something. Does a ct scan of the arteries show as much as an angiogram? Just wanted to know.Any advice would be appreciated. THanks

Old 02-22-2005, 05:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

wmjease,

Your symptoms sound too close to ischemic angina to go much longer without stress
imaging to rule out (or IN) coronary artery blockages. I doubt that it should be precluded in unpregnant women of ANY age. Your only real alternative is angiography which, to my mind, poses a very REAL chance, though very slight, of the severest complications.
All the tests you've had to date have not addressed the ischemia possibility.

Please take your daily aspirin til you get a resolution.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-22-2005 at 05:28 AM.

Closed Thread