It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2005, 03:42 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User
Skipping beats

I don't know where to post this and this is the only place that I can think of. My heart has been funny for quite a while. It is constantly skipping beats and trying to catch up then afterwords and it leaves me feeling panicked and breathless. When I was a baby I had a heart murmmer but my doc. said that it has nothing to do with it and I drink too much caffeine. But I don't drink coffee or tea and I drink caffeine free pop. I also smoke but I am trying to quit. My doc just thinks that I am parinoid I am only 24 years old but every time it starts I feel like I am having a heart attack. I just don't know what to do. How can they even check out my heart? Does this sound like it is becoming something serious? Or is my doc. right that I am just being parinod? Or should I demand him to do something? Thanks for listening SL.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
(male)

SeanS HB User
Re: Skipping beats

Hi Sherri,

Like most people here, im not a doctor, but it comforts me to read these threads and now im not alone. And like most im not happy with "doctor" answers. They are not suffering from this so they really dont understand. I've been reading most of the threads on this board, trying to find a connection. I'm sure we're all sick of the anxiety / paranoid brush off. I had the stress test done last week and my doc said i had SVT and a slight murmur. So you might want to get a second opinion if your doc says there's no connection. Next month I get the heart xray. I can tell you your probly not going to die from this. I've had it for 2 years, and some people have had it for 30 years. It is something you live with every minute of every day. I can tell whats helped me tho. No sugar, no caffeine (this means chocolate too), no alcohol, no wheat, no dairy. I found these foods to only worsen the SVT and Palpitations. And since my heart feels very fluttery right now I will sign off. Take Care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2005, 01:38 PM   #3
(male)

caracalm HB User

Hey there

Before I begin, i must say i'm no doctor, but an engineering student, yet my mom is a pediatrician and she told me all this a while back when I had one of my first panic attaks on the matter 2 years back i think. Of course I was telling her "i'm dying....heart attack....." and so on, and she lloked at me and just said: "coke, fat, and not enough sleep".
I see we're in the same boat here since I too have the exact symptoms you describe. I'm 24 and I don't drink coffe, tea, coke (maybe once in a while now), alcohol and I also don't smoke or take any drugs(medicines or illegal ones), yet I still experience the heart skipping a beat. In spite of feeling that the heart is 'skipping' a beat, it is actually beating twice in the time is normally takes for the normal rate to beat once. The reason you feel like it's skipping is because the second beat is much weaker than the first one. basically you get one and a half for the price of one.
I usually get this irregular beat when I'm tired, in the morning and at night. It is actually not a heart problem, but a nervous system one. I get the skips when i feel very tired and it actually seems that I have to concentrate on breathing more than normal (it's like it's not an instinct anymore). I dunno if you notice this or not, or maybe it doesn't happen with you, but my breething gets a little irregular when I'm tired and these weird heart beats happen then. I would say it feels like I literally 'forget to breethe' for a while and when I run out of air, i take a deep breath like I was under water for a whole minute. Weird! If you see a relation between irregular breething and these weird beats, try to just stay in one place and force a constant deep breething rate.
Now, i'm not in the greatest of shapes, I don't exercise and I'm quite a couch potato. I think the main reasons for this heart issue is lack of sleep, using excitants(coffe, coke...all those) and weight. Maybe you're not getting enough sleep at night (8 hours) or maybe you can't rest well because of your bed even though you sit in it for 8 hours. Maybe there's too much light in your room and it keeps waking you up. I know that when I wake up tired i'll just have them. When I wake up tired, no matter how little effort I do, i start to get them. I walk upstairs, i get 'skips'. And they actually continue on an on for a while till I actually 'wake up'.

For example, yesterday I went to the Autoshow and I walked all day between cars and it was really tired by the time I got home. Being stupid as I am, i started playing online computer games till 2 AM and i went to bed all excited from the game and I slept bad. Today I wake up, bend to put on sock and... bam!... 'skips'..the worst I ever had...every 5 normal beats *poof* a good ole' skipper! What was different than any other times? I lacked enough rest. That's why I'm here now searching for stuff on this matter.

About being paranoid, maybe the doc was right . But then again, i panic too. My mom says I'm paranoid, but it is certainly not a fun feeling that you're about to faint and your life is flashing before your eyes!
I guess my advice would be for you to get a better night's rest (get a comfy mattress, darker room...whatever makes you more comfortable sleeping), and if this is your case too, lose some weight. And no smoking or other excitants
I never went to a doctor about this yet, but in most posts I've seen people that went to the doctor were sent home having discovered nothing wrong.
Now, what I described here is the most common heart rate irregularity out there. There could be other reasons but I think that judging by your age, other reasons are not likely. (again i'm no doctor....thoguh I wanted to be till i first saw my own blood from a scratch and almost fainted )

Hope this helps, at least with the panic. Knowing that there are so many people out there with similar problems makes me feel a little better anyway.

P.S. If I have skips in the morning, i noticed that taking a nap in the afternoon (even starting at 11 AM) makes them go away for the rest of the day....So in my opinion, there are 3 important things really: REST, WEIGHT(proper nutrition gives more energy-->healthier nervous system ), and NO EXCITANTS. And sorry for the long post coz btw...staring at a computer screen for long is a damn bad excitant (one of the worst actually...it goes straight to your nervous system and starts bashing it).

Old 02-27-2005, 08:40 AM   #4
(female)

babag HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caracalm
Hey there

Before I begin, i must say i'm no doctor, but an engineering student, yet my mom is a pediatrician and she told me all this a while back when I had one of my first panic attaks on the matter 2 years back i think. Of course I was telling her "i'm dying....heart attack....." and so on, and she lloked at me and just said: "coke, fat, and not enough sleep".
I see we're in the same boat here since I too have the exact symptoms you describe. I'm 24 and I don't drink coffe, tea, coke (maybe once in a while now), alcohol and I also don't smoke or take any drugs(medicines or illegal ones), yet I still experience the heart skipping a beat. In spite of feeling that the heart is 'skipping' a beat, it is actually beating twice in the time is normally takes for the normal rate to beat once. The reason you feel like it's skipping is because the second beat is much weaker than the first one. basically you get one and a half for the price of one.
I usually get this irregular beat when I'm tired, in the morning and at night. It is actually not a heart problem, but a nervous system one. I get the skips when i feel very tired and it actually seems that I have to concentrate on breathing more than normal (it's like it's not an instinct anymore). I dunno if you notice this or not, or maybe it doesn't happen with you, but my breething gets a little irregular when I'm tired and these weird heart beats happen then. I would say it feels like I literally 'forget to breethe' for a while and when I run out of air, i take a deep breath like I was under water for a whole minute. Weird! If you see a relation between irregular breething and these weird beats, try to just stay in one place and force a constant deep breething rate.
Now, i'm not in the greatest of shapes, I don't exercise and I'm quite a couch potato. I think the main reasons for this heart issue is lack of sleep, using excitants(coffe, coke...all those) and weight. Maybe you're not getting enough sleep at night (8 hours) or maybe you can't rest well because of your bed even though you sit in it for 8 hours. Maybe there's too much light in your room and it keeps waking you up. I know that when I wake up tired i'll just have them. When I wake up tired, no matter how little effort I do, i start to get them. I walk upstairs, i get 'skips'. And they actually continue on an on for a while till I actually 'wake up'.

For example, yesterday I went to the Autoshow and I walked all day between cars and it was really tired by the time I got home. Being stupid as I am, i started playing online computer games till 2 AM and i went to bed all excited from the game and I slept bad. Today I wake up, bend to put on sock and... bam!... 'skips'..the worst I ever had...every 5 normal beats *poof* a good ole' skipper! What was different than any other times? I lacked enough rest. That's why I'm here now searching for stuff on this matter.

About being paranoid, maybe the doc was right . But then again, i panic too. My mom says I'm paranoid, but it is certainly not a fun feeling that you're about to faint and your life is flashing before your eyes!
I guess my advice would be for you to get a better night's rest (get a comfy mattress, darker room...whatever makes you more comfortable sleeping), and if this is your case too, lose some weight. And no smoking or other excitants
I never went to a doctor about this yet, but in most posts I've seen people that went to the doctor were sent home having discovered nothing wrong.
Now, what I described here is the most common heart rate irregularity out there. There could be other reasons but I think that judging by your age, other reasons are not likely. (again i'm no doctor....thoguh I wanted to be till i first saw my own blood from a scratch and almost fainted )

Hope this helps, at least with the panic. Knowing that there are so many people out there with similar problems makes me feel a little better anyway.

P.S. If I have skips in the morning, i noticed that taking a nap in the afternoon (even starting at 11 AM) makes them go away for the rest of the day....So in my opinion, there are 3 important things really: REST, WEIGHT(proper nutrition gives more energy-->healthier nervous system ), and NO EXCITANTS. And sorry for the long post coz btw...staring at a computer screen for long is a damn bad excitant (one of the worst actually...it goes straight to your nervous system and starts bashing it).
very good writing to this person. i too have pacs (premature atrial contractions). they don't worry about them although i have many many. it feels like skipped beats as sherri said. i have had a heart ablation to cure my atrial fib and i guess it has but i have a spot that didn't scar over and it causing me an atral flutter that leaves me tired, out of breath, sweating, and near fainting when i try to exercise more than just doing housework (like shopping and walking for hours). in a couple of days the univ. will once again ablate to fix this spot. i hope it is not as extent as the first one that left me with lots of odd symptoms. they assure me that the no exercise rule will be fixed. time will tell. i am much older than all of you and have palps for years but did not have them tested until they started to bother my life ....

Old 03-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Sherri-Lynne HB User

Thanks guys for repling to my post, I didn't think anyone was going to. Thank you guys for making me feel less parinoid . I try and get as much sleep as I can but I work nights and I have a 2 year old daughter, so usually it's 5 hours a night plus a nap when she goes for hers. It has stopped for about a month now so I'm just keep doing my normal stuff and when it starts happening again try and see what I'm doing, getting less sleep etc. If I still can't find anything different then I am going to get another opinion from a new doctor. Thank you all you have all made me feel much better.

Last edited by Sherri-Lynne; 03-02-2005 at 09:18 PM.

Closed Thread