It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User
dull, achy chest pains

Been having achy , dull sometimes sort of stabbing like chest pains too, seem to be right in the heart area , also having sensations heaviness and pain as well into my left arm , so far not having had to take any nitro the pain doesn't last that long , had a stent in sept . wondering if it may heading for restenosis?also some pressure noted, the stent has coating on it , Yes I've had to take nitro ended up in hospital once , had chemical stress test which was negative . a few weeks later had some really bad chest pains , that had me grabbing at my chest and almost took my breathe away, took 3 nitros , that relieved the pain and was ok .b/p was a little elevated but am sure that was due to anxiety , then it was back to to normal which is 112/60 it tends to run low hr is 60-78. but these don't require the nitro so far just kinda learking in the background .Blu

Last edited by blufairy; 02-01-2005 at 08:41 AM. Reason: changes and answers to questions

Old 01-31-2005, 07:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: dull, achy chest pains

blufairy the problem may be restenosis around the stent. Is this occuring with exertion or at rest? I did not have a medicated stent and it took 3 months for mine to eventually occlude to 97%. My symptoms became gradually worse and were actually a little different than pre stent. I would definitely get checked out. Even though you are not feeling the need to take nitro something could be going on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 11:55 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

blufairy,

You'd better get back to the hospital that did the stent or to the cardiologist who presided.
Tell them it's an emergency.

Have you had to take any nitro since the stent was placed?

Old 01-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

yes , was in the hospital after the stent , had stress test , but nothing showwd up , ekg was normal as well, just have this achy feeling unlying feeling can't quite call it pain but now it sort feels like it seems to go through towards my back too .they look at you like you are crazy . I don't present like classic cardiac no sweating , not grey looking ,not clammy , and am a woman ..ta-da. so they ask are you having problems at home ..?? grrrr...maybe it's something you ate .. yes I have gerd , but thats not what it is , I don't have 2 stents for gerd.just getting concerned and paying attetion ,is all for the moment . still no nitro . blu

Old 02-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

blufairy,

Another stress test with nuclear markers seems to me to be a good idea. It HAS to be better than a look-see ANGIOGRAM...nobody needs more than one of then a YEAR (we all hope.) One a DECADE would suit me fine!

Old 02-01-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufairy
yes , was in the hospital after the stent , had stress test , but nothing showwd up , ekg was normal as well, just have this achy feeling unlying feeling can't quite call it pain but now it sort feels like it seems to go through towards my back too .they look at you like you are crazy . I don't present like classic cardiac no sweating , not grey looking ,not clammy , and am a woman ..ta-da. so they ask are you having problems at home ..?? grrrr...maybe it's something you ate .. yes I have gerd , but thats not what it is , I don't have 2 stents for gerd.just getting concerned and paying attetion ,is all for the moment . still no nitro . blu
After my stent was placed I soon began to have symptoms. I went back in and the did an angiogram. The stented area had some scarring and was narrowed to 40%. I was told I shouldn't be having symptoms from that degree of narrowing. Went back in a few weeks later had another angiogram and area had narrowed to 60%. Again told I should not be having symptoms at that degree of narrowing. Went back in at about 3 months point. Had another cath. Narrowing was now at 97% and required immediate heart bypass. I walked into the cath lab on that visit because they really didn't think there was anything going on. Each time they did tests to rule out the heart. I had stomach tests and lung tests and they really couldn't blame my symptoms on that either. By the way I'm a woman too. It may be nothing but it's a risk not having it checked out. You may be having coronary artery spasms. If that's the case it needs to be treated.

Old 02-01-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

yeah , i agree . think I had better call the doc before something does happen. another stress test will probably be in order hopefully not another angio , have had MRSA so they have to give me vanco prior to it , or i won't let them do it .after the last stent in Sept my wbc went up to 20,000, and they keep me for a week on it, and inf , controll doc was not at all happy . i had to fight to get them to agree to give to me . even then my wbc went up . wonderful the things you can get while in the hospital Blu

Old 02-02-2005, 06:19 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

Good idea! I think like me you just can't afford to guess whether it's something serious or not. Good luck!

Old 02-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

If ONLY someone would invent an imager with enough resolution to get an angiogram or better quality blow up of the individual arteries WITHOUT cather or even stress test it would be wonderful.
Perhaps the most useful medical advance I could dream of for the next decade.

Getting close-up pictures of your stents with every annual physical; what assurance that would bring.

Kodak, are you listening?

Last edited by Lenin; 02-02-2005 at 06:29 AM.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:34 AM   #10
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

indeed , they can do close ups of babies 3-d in the the mothers womb called womb with a view , sure cost more , but they show more. think they could , perhaps thye do do something with the heart in the same way to somehow show the stents .perhaps they are to small. thanks for your input Blu

Old 02-05-2005, 10:16 PM   #11
(male)

FrontierDriver2 HB User

Blu, any update on your chest pains? I have some similar pains. It's kinda sharp sometimes, not usually dull and achy though. I've never had any leading into my arm. I am a 21 yr old male. My pains have always been up higher below the collar bone and sometimes off to the left of the center, right over the heart area. Do yours get better or worse if you exercise?

Old 02-06-2005, 05:15 AM   #12
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

I have this also from the last stent 12/2004. I also had a Cardiac MRI (requested this myself) one week after the stent and this test showed more what was going on with my heart than all the others I have had.

I see a new cardiologist in 3 weeks but if push comes to shove...I can see him sooner in the ER room at a large University teaching Hospital.

Women have to get mad and mouthy to save their lives. Remember this!!

Good Luck To You.

Last edited by MacyMaid; 02-06-2005 at 05:16 AM. Reason: typing error

Old 02-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #13
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

sorry to say i don't exercise but I do run up the stairs , live on second floor of condo , it doesn't matter though i am out out breathe sometimes . i never know when it will happen .and sometimes the pain goes into the collar bone area but not actually the bone it self is underneath . i take celebrex , was taking vioxx, then bextra. i fell of a lader 2 years and broke my shoulder , had plate and screws , got mrsa , what a mess .. if they recall or stop celebrex don't know what I'll do . i see the doc in afew weeks . still no need for nitro Blu

Old 03-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #14
(female)

CALIFBLU HB User

well heres an update, am off celebrex cardio. doc. risk wasn't worth the benifit. also for chest pains am now taking isosorbide 30 mg. qd. am on it a week and it seems to be helping th. then went to se e family doc . and I have neuropathy in my left foot ,had tarsal tunnel surgery. again the MRSA returned , and I think perhaps that may be why the surgery failed , due to scar tissue, so now foot has increase numbness, feels like it is wet all the time and my socks always feel like they are bunched up .Had recent EMG. it showed decreased nerve sensation to the foot .So am taking elavil 100 mg at hs. am seeing a little improvemrnt with that .the neurologist said it was as if the tarsal tnnel suegery was never done .blu

Old 03-07-2005, 03:10 PM   #15
(female)

macmember HB User

Yes the dull, achy, heavy chest pains are from blockages or from Epigastric upset. I personally, as a woman, have had 2 chemical stress tests and both were negative and after continued symptoms, my Cardiologist did the Angiogram anyway and found both times that I had severe restenosis. He no longer WASTES time and money on the Chemical Stress tests. I have read many articles that say that Women have far too many false negatives with this test.

Do not try to limit the Angioplasties that you have to one a year. I have had many per year to keep my stents open. They want to do a bypass but I KNOW that it will clog up with scar tissue as well. Why would I want to get on that train? I'll take angioplasties several times a year over one Bypass!

Have you tried taking TWO Nexium or Prilasec for two weeks and found any relief? If not I would try that first. It did make a big difference for one of my friends that had these symptoms and saved her a Angiogram.

Good Luck, let us hear.

Closed Thread