It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #1
(male)

mikey51 HB User
Why does the Toprol cause us fatigue?

I am trying to lose weight as well as keep up my strength while taking the toprol. I lift very heavy and I do very well when I keep the reps in the 6-8 range. In fact I am gaining strength but as far as cardio or just simple walking for distance it wears me out..

I have read that it causes low blood sugar but I can't find anything that explains how that works..Any Ideas?

Is there an over the counter test that I can buy that will show if I have low blood sugar or should I ask my Cardiologist to figure it out?

Last edited by mikey51; 03-01-2005 at 02:22 PM.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #2
(male)

vinny1957 HB User
Re: Why does the Toprol cause us fatigue?

I would like to know too. I'm tired most of the time. I also take Altace for high bp, but in the afternoons I just poop out. I wish I could find out how to beat it. So far nothing. I take vitamins etc. I don't know, but if you find something, you'll be rich!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Toprol and the other beta blockers interfere with the hormones that cause action...the pressor hormones, epinehrine and norepinephrine and a couple other adrenal outpourings.
This slowdown helps some hearts but S L O W S down many other body processes as well.

Old 03-05-2005, 03:38 AM   #4
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Toprol and the other beta blockers interfere with the hormones that cause action...the pressor hormones, epinehrine and norepinephrine and a couple other adrenal outpourings.
This slowdown helps some hearts but S L O W S down many other body processes as well.
I have to agree with Lenin. And, yes for "me" taking TopolXL makes me feel 20 years older. Been on this med since 8/2004. Have to call a maid to clean the house as I am tooooooooooooo tired to do anything. Well, for the past 2 days, I did not take my Topol as I needed to see if it was the meds or "me". Yesterday, I had sooo much energy, I vaccummed and baked and took sheers off windows, washed them and re-hung, took a long walk in the park with my 4 year old grandaughter riding her trike and I planted Spring flowers. "Me" was back. The doctor got a call yesterday afternoon. Yes, I do believe this med for "me" slows down many other processes as well.

Talk with your doctors.

Old 03-07-2005, 06:53 PM   #5
(male)

easydoesit HB User

After reading the side effects of Toprol on Medications.com, I called my doctor and he has told me to stop taking it. I feel tired all the time, no interest in anything - having unexplained cold sweats and hot flashes.

Closed Thread