It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
(female)

Meagan312 HB User
Bradycardia: How low is dangerous? (Slow pulse)

I won't go into my history again, since I've been having a lot of problems for the past year which are NOT directly related to a heart problem (I was checked by a cardiologist). I believe my problems are caused by hormonal imbalances, and the latest "crisis" possibly by stopping a contraceptive.

Nevertheless, my pulse tends to be very low, and since I stopped the contraceptive it's been dropping to pretty scary levels. I'm around 48 during the day and last night it went down to 42. I was extremely week, had headaches, and just felt like my body wasn't getting enough oxygen. I got scared.

I know this is caused by something other than a bad heart, but my question is ... regardless of the cause, HOW LOW can the pulse get before it's dangerous? 40s? 30s?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited by Meagan312; 03-02-2005 at 12:52 PM.

Old 03-02-2005, 02:21 PM   #2
(female)

hypokelly HB User
Re: Bradycardia: How low is dangerous? (Slow pulse)

Dear Meagan,
My daughter has congenitial heart disease with 2nd degree heart block, her heart rate is usually low 48- 60, but in Nov. her heart rate was down to 35. She felt dizzy and had a head ache.she was hospitalized with the intention of putting in a pacemaker, but they decided to wait.
If you are not feeling well and that is not your usual HR,I would go to a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

marljones HB User
Talking Re: Bradycardia: How low is dangerous? (Slow pulse)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan312
I won't go into my history again, since I've been having a lot of problems for the past year which are NOT directly related to a heart problem (I was checked by a cardiologist). I believe my problems are caused by hormonal imbalances, and the latest "crisis" possibly by stopping a contraceptive.

Nevertheless, my pulse tends to be very low, and since I stopped the contraceptive it's been dropping to pretty scary levels. I'm around 48 during the day and last night it went down to 42. I was extremely week, had headaches, and just felt like my body wasn't getting enough oxygen. I got scared.

I know this is caused by something other than a bad heart, but my question is ... regardless of the cause, HOW LOW can the pulse get before it's dangerous? 40s? 30s?

interested to hear your story. l was exercising on treadmill for 20 mins. & thought l would check my blood pressure & pulse. being morbid obese expected it to be very high. blood pressure normal but pulse 48!!! turns out since monitoring it that l have a low pulse anywhere between 42 to 69 . had full tests done other day which shows low pulse but all else ok. physician a little baffled due to obesity.having stress test next week. you mentioned hormones in your letter. this just makes me believe that strange things happen during changeable hormone periods ie: menopause the more l read the more l think l need to just "weather " this time till it's finally OVER! lhave a feeling most things will revert to the way they were as hormones can really set so many things off in our bodies. any one have ideas???????

Last edited by marljones; 04-17-2005 at 04:56 PM.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Fizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB UserFizzickle HB User

Are you by any chance on a beta blocker?

I take Sotalol ( a powerful beta blocker ) for atrial fibrillation, and my pulse normally runs about 47 - 50 during the day, and goes lower during the night. I've never fainted or anything like that, and function very normally.

But if this is new to you, see a cardiologist. Some people handle lower pulse rates without incident - and some people have real problems with it.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:27 PM   #5

leviathan85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meagan312

If your heartrate is low but you don't have any accompanying symptoms like dizziness, shortness of breath, etc., this is a sign that you are still hemodynamically stable. However, if you are having weakness and other symptoms, I would go see a doctor as soon as possible.

Closed Thread