It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 05:49 PM   #1
(female)

aeq777 HB User
Smile just wondering?

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if you ever had a thallium stress test how long did you last on the treadmill?

I'm a 38 year old female, 5'3 and 117 lbs and I reached my heart rate at 7 minutes and 30 seconds. I asked the tech if that was bad and all she would say is everyone is different but I'm thinking I'm in bad shape.

Just wondering how everyone else did?

Thanks for you help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 02:07 AM   #2
(female)

MacyMaid HB User
Re: just wondering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeq777
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if you ever had a thallium stress test how long did you last on the treadmill?

I'm a 38 year old female, 5'3 and 117 lbs and I reached my heart rate at 7 minutes and 30 seconds. I asked the tech if that was bad and all she would say is everyone is different but I'm thinking I'm in bad shape.

Just wondering how everyone else did?

Thanks for you help.
I have had 2 Thalliums in the past. First one I reached HR in 4 1/2 minutes and the second one in about 7 minutes. I was told the longer one can go to reach their HR, the better "physical shape" (not heart shape) they are in. With the last Cardiolite, (11/2004) I reached HR in 4 minutes 56 seconds. My SIL just had his done yesterday and reached HR in 9 minutes. But, he works out 3-4 times per week. Personally, I do not think the tech meant anything negative about your work-out. I wish I could go 7 1/2 minutes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 04:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I had the stres without thallium and I went the full time...12 minutes on that increasing incline treadmill (HATED IT) was what my cardiologist wanted. I was complaining of pain but he kept up with "just a little more" about 18 times.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:34 AM   #4
(female)

aeq777 HB User
Smile Re: just wondering?

Hi -

Thanks for your replys. Wow Lenin you are in great shape!! Macymaid I pushed so hard just to go the 7 1/2 minutes, so don't feel bad. I hate that test.

I don't do any cardio but I guess I should start.

Thanks again for your help. Have a good day!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeq777
Hi -

Thanks for your replys. Wow Lenin you are in great shape!! Macymaid I pushed so hard just to go the 7 1/2 minutes, so don't feel bad. I hate that test.I don't do any cardio but I guess I should start.
Thanks again for your help. Have a good day!
If you do not have a good pair of walking shoes, get some. Walking is one of the best exercises for all round health. Talk to your doctor. I started out slow and built up and still building up. Also learning to belly breathe is very helpful as so many people do chest breathing. Also, a good forceful laugh is great for opening up heart arteries as is a forceful cough. The old saying, "Laughter is the The Best Medicine".

Good Luck to you.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 AM   #6
(female)

Leslie12 HB User

I was on treadmill for 3 minutes and HR was 180bpm and they said it was normal results.

Leslie

Old 03-17-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie12
I was on treadmill for 3 minutes and HR was 180bpm and they said it was normal results.

Leslie
Hi Leslie, I know there is a formula for age and HR but the Cardiac Rehab place I use ( I wear a monitor) will not let patients go over 30 BPM of the start up HR when they enter the exercise program. If my HR is 84 before I start they will not let me go over 114. My Cardiac doctor is more givng. I can go to around 150-160 bpm. but he is standing right there. I had the adenosine twice which I hated. It caused severe breathlessness so now even with a chipped knee cap, I get on the threadmill and pray I "did good". so they do not have to inject.

Good Luck To You.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:03 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

I recently had a stress test. Time is component that is combined with exertion calibrated in METS. One METS is sitting without symptoms. METS are increased by inclining the track.

The results of my stress test and EKG interpretation: Baseline EKG reveals normal sinus rhythm at 61 beats per minute with left axis deviation and no-specific inferior T-wave change. The patient exercised for a total of 4 minutes and 20 seconds equivalent to 7.2 METS. The patient stopped exercise secondary to fatigue. There was no chest pain. The patient had 1mm ST segment depression (depressed ST segment is deprivation of oxygen rich blood to the heart) horizontal and down-sloping in the inferolateral lead that resolved 5 minutes into recovery. One minute heart rate recovery was 115 beats per minute.

With only time as a factor doesn't reveal important information. How much exertion in what period of time? What was the recovery time? Was the heart muscle receiving the normal flow of blood at all time...this may distinquish whether there is a heart problem or bad conditioning! etc.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #9
(female)

aeq777 HB User

Hi Kenkeith -

I don't know the answers to those questions until I get my results back, which probably won't be until Monday.

I was just wondering how long people lasted on the treadmill. I just thought my time was horrible and I was wondering how everyone else did.

Did you get a copy of your test? I want to get a copy of mine.

Thanks for you help.

Old 03-17-2005, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I don't know how many minutes I went on the treadmill, but on my first one I got to the point that I was jogging without any chest pain or shortness of breath. I appeared to be very healthy. Although the test didn't pick up on it I had a potentially fatal blockage at the time. It was 6 weeks later that it was diagnosed with an angiogram so anything can happen during a stress test. To this day I don't know how I was able to do what I did.

Last edited by NineLives; 03-17-2005 at 06:50 PM.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
(female)

aeq777 HB User

Hi Ninelives -

What good are these stress tests!! I haven't gotten my results back but I have a feeling they are going to tell me everything is okay and I know somethng is wrong, I can feel it. It isn't normal to have all this chest pain.

Why did they end up giving you an angiogram?

I just want to know for fact what is going on and from everything I've read or heard the angiogram is the only true way.

Thanks for your response and help.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:17 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

CobaltBlue HB User

At age 35, two days after my MI and with blockages in the LAD and RCA, I lasted <5 min walking.

The most recent one in December I made it to level 5, 14:38 (I think that was the time?). However, I run 5K+ and bike 30 min+ just about every day. So, yes, some benefit will come from consistent exercise, but just to be able to do anything without being limited from CHD is worth more than anything else. I am also only 38--so I (we) have some advantages there with respect to exercise tolerance.

Old 03-18-2005, 05:54 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Me too,

My cardiologist said I passed with flying colors but my BP went too high. In reality I had a 99% blockage of the main right coronary artery.

Old 03-18-2005, 06:30 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

AEQ
In some people the stress test is helpful in diagnosing heart blockage. The nuclear imaging is suppose to make it more accurate in diagnosing women. Because of my history I would not have a secure feeling that I'm fine just based on that test. The reason I had an angiogram is because my symptoms continued and I kept returning to the ER and to my family doctor. I think maybe the cardiologist felt that they really needed to rule out the heart. He did tell me while I was on the cath table that he was very surprised to find heart blockage so he did the test not thinking that he would really find something.
The angiogram is the best test for diagnosing heart disease but it also carries some high risks so it's difficult sometimes to get a doctor to go forward with the test when the others are not indicating a problem. Be persistent if you think there is really something going on with your heart. I had that gut feeling that it was my heart and I kept telling the doctors "I'm afraid you're going to send me home and I'm going to have a heart attack and die." This was when they were telling me we think it's your stomach or we think it's anxiety or we think it's asthma.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:07 AM   #15
(female)

aeq777 HB User

Hi NineLives -

Thanks again for writing back.

I have been told too it's anxiety, stomach and the famous "it's all in your head". Until I got the EBCT scan, which I paid for myself, and I had proof there was something there my doctor wouldn't even listen to me. It was everything but my heart.

I will keep being persistent. I have a very strong family history and it all seems to start around my age.

I'm still waiting for the results maybe he will call today.

Thanks again for all your help!

Closed Thread