Hi, Just received my lab results from my doctor and was told I have a high 3.7 cardio CRP test, which is a high risk for cardiovascular disease. My doctor told me not to worry about it. I do have mitral valve prolapse--could this cause a high reading?
WBC (white blood count) high is an indicator of inflammation, which has been linked to the buildup of fatty deposits in arteries feeding the heart and brain and the hallmark of CAD.
CRP is a test that many doctors now use to measure C-reative protein that is found in the brain, heart and muscle. It is the by product of inflammation. Also a high level can be seen when muscle is exercised such as in weight lifting.
When I entered ER tests revealed a high C-reative level of 1.5 (normal 0.5-1.2). It rises and peaks in 18 to 24 hours and returns to normal in a few days post MI. I have moderate/severe MV regurgitation at it doesn't show a high C-reative level. (not that I am aware!)
The marker is only a tool and not in itself definitive of any condition. I believe there is a difference between men and women in what is normal or expected as well as age, and I am sure your doctor is considering all factors when he/she told you not worry about it.
Figured I'd post here too regarding CRP, I was tested 2 months ago and my results were a 7, high cardiovascular risk. I had it tested again and the results this time are 37??!?!!! My dr says that I can either wait and retest, or go see a rheumatologist for further testing. Any suggestions? Has anyone ever heard of such a high result? I'm really nervous about this. Thanks.
The numbers you post appear unreasonably high. The normal is 0.5 to 1.2 mg/dl. The measurement you quote is probably in centigrams cm not milligrams (mg). If you move the point one place to the left, you have 0.7 and 3.7 respectively.
A high CPR is just one factor and the totality of all factors such as symptoms, other tests, general health, etc. and should be considered before coming to a conclusion, and your doctor is in the best position to make the decision to go forward or wait. Evidently, he/she doesn't find a critical need not to wait.
thank you willdo and kenkeith for your posts. I checked my test results, I have the report, and the result does say 37.0 mg/dl. I have since recalled that I was sick at the time I tested, sore throat, congestion, maybe there was inflammation as a result of that that caused such a high result. Or maybe the test wasn't done correctly. Anyone know if a cold causes inflammation? In any case, I am going to wait another 2 weeks and then have it tested again. If it is still high, then I guess I will go see a rheumatologist as my doctor suggested for further testing. Thanks. Jeannie