It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
(male)

heart123 HB User
Heart Rate Recovery after Stress Test

Following my most recent thallium treadmill stress test, it took about 8 minutes before my heart rate and blood pressure started to drop, and about 15 minutes before it reached a level low enough for them to take me off the monitor. My heart rate actually increased for about 5 minutes, right after I got off the treadmill and sat down.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and what did your doctors say about it? I have had heart problems for many years, but this is something new. Have appt with doctor to review results, but wanted to see if anyone else had any similar experiences.

Old 04-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: Heart Rate Recovery after Stress Test

I have a totally blocked LAD (bypassed by collateral vessels, provides some help) and severe/moderate mitral regurgitation. The results of my recent test: 1 minute heart rate recovery was 115 beats/min after 5 minutes on the treadmill. Also 1mm depressed ST segment....resolved 5 minutes into recovery. According to my research a depressed ST segment (EKG) indicates deprived oxygen to the heart. I will need bypass and valve surgery in the future, but I am responding well to medication in that heart size is almost normal, my EF is low normal and regurg is improving.

Even with an unhealthy heart my recovery is less than 15 minutes! Fifteen minutes to recover is a long time. Many people have pain with exertion, but it goes away quickly with rest? Your high HR and recovery time may be due to emotional stress!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
(male)

heart123 HB User

Actually, I've had two prior heart attacks and three stents over the last 12 years. Last stents were in November for 80% LAD blockage and 95% circumflex artery blockage.

Old 04-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
(male)

heart123 HB User

I would really appreciate additional responses to my question. I'm sure most of the people here have had stress tests, so your results related to heart rate recovery at the end of the test would be very helpful to me. I've done some research, and found a study that indicates that slow heart rate recovery has been tied to decreased survival rate over a 6-year period. As usual, my cardiologist is less than forthcoming with information.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I think my recovery was much faster than that but I'm vague on the numbers.

heart,
My guess is that you are badly out of shape and the stress test was FAR more exercise than you ever get. Am I close?

I am pretty well conditioned so the stress test wasn't that stressful (except for the "heartburn."

I'll check my recovery after 40 minutes on the stationary bike today. I take my rate to near 135 which is 85% of my age calculated MAX. (I'm a one-stenter!)

What rate do you define as "recovery?" Shall I check it sitting or supine?

Last edited by Lenin; 04-08-2005 at 08:44 AM.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:44 AM   #6
(male)

heart123 HB User

Lenin,

Mt target rate was 147, and actually went up to 155 when I stopped the test and fluctuated between 145 and 155 for a while. Med Tech would not remove those wonderful pads from my chest until I got to 110, which took about 12-15 minutes as I recall. Was in sitting position.

I'm not in the best conditioning shape, but walk 2 - 3 miles a few times per week. Have had two heart attacks and three stents.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Hrt123,
How much time before you reached your HR target? Was the test terminated due to pain or fatique? Was there any chest discomfort? Do you have any pulmonary issues?

Anxiety and apprehension can cause a faster than normal HR post test. Obvioulsy, you have had prior tests. Is this last result different from past test results? Do you have SOB or pain when you walk 2 to 3 times a week?

I thought may recovery time of 5 minutes was long but I exercise (weights and aerobic 3 times a week) and have known CHF and MVR so I expected abnormal results. Fifteen minutes recovery demands an explanation from your doctor.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
(male)

heart123 HB User

Just got back from the doctor. He seems to think its an effect of low conditioning, and the effects of the Beta Blocker. Not too concerned. Guess I'll just go with that.

Old 04-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

huh!

Old 04-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #10
(female)

CyndeeT HB User

I am super-new at this--just had my first stress test 2 weeks ago, and doctor hasn't gotten to interpret it all for me. But I have the results--it looks like it took my heart 4 minutes and 8 seconds for 'recovery' -- but I sure don't know what that really means. All I know is that I felt like I was going to DIE on the treadmill, my heart was beating so hard and fast and I got so out of breath--that awful feeling lasted for several minutes, but not 15, yikes!

Closed Thread