It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 01:22 AM   #1
(male)

ShadowXP HB User
Sudden increase in heartrate/bloodpressure

First post, so I might be posting i the wrong forum.

I've had some issues with sudden and powerful increases in heartrate/bloodpressue over the last few years, but in the last four months it's become worse to the point of having multiple jumps per day.

What happens is that in the space of one heartbeat, my pulse jumps from it's normal resting-level (about 80 to 85 beats per minutes) to well something in the area of 120 to 130 bpm. This will stay there for anything from about 10 seconds to over 10 minutes, unless I am able to control it through breathing (Basically holding my breath until it calms down again). When it drops, it will drop again in the space of one heartbeat. Bloodpressure will also sharply increase when the pulse goes up, and drop sharply enough to leave me light-headed and on the verge of fainting when the pulse goes down. There is also a rather sharp pain in my torso, centerd around the left shoulder-area and sometimes just below the collarbone near the centre of the torso. Also experienced some pain beneath the left shoulderblade.

When the heartrate drops, it also leaves me feeling tired and drained of energy, making my hands tremble with even the smallest of chores (lifting a glass of water to my mouth etc)

So far, I've had EKG and a complete bloodwork/physical done. Both came up (to quote the doctor) "so normal it's somewhat scary". Bloodpressure is normal as long as the pulse stays controlled, I'm not stressed and I haven't noticed any panic/anxiety-attacks. I sleep well, weigh about 200lbs standing 1.85meters tall and am reasonably fit. Don't smoke, don't drink alcohol and have a healthy and varied diet.

I have an appointment with a doc tomorrow, but was told about these boards and thought I'd make a post.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
(male)

sam061 HB User
Re: Sudden increase in heartrate/bloodpressure

I have the sudden jump in blood pressure, but was told it is a panic attack. I just get extremely weak. I have no pain or breathing problems. I just get weak, take my bp, and it is high. I lay down for awhile and it goes back to normal. I have had a history of pa's, but the ones I had in the past included hyperventalation (sp) and extreme fear. I don't feel this with this sudden jump in bp. But that is what the doctor said it was. -sam

Old 04-17-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
(female)

imaworrier HB User
Re: Sudden increase in heartrate/bloodpressure

Last Monday night I was asleep and woke up kind-of itchy on my left arm and side. Then it started tingling and my heart started racing and my breathing became really rough. I had my husband call 911 (first time ever). Came down to them thinking it was a panic attack. My heart rate was 104 and my bp was 117/73 while they were talking to me. This is high for me as my hr is usually about 70 and my bp is about 100/60. I was also really shaky before they got there. Could be that you are experiencing a panic attack too. Although I'm not sure if that is what mine was because I've never had one before.

Closed Thread