It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

susiegriffith HB User
EKG Reading Abnormal....Help!

Do I need to be alarmed by these results of a EKG test?

My family Doctor detected a heart murmur with a stethascope, ran an EKG with the results being Abnormal.

39 Caucasian Female
Vent Rate - 70 bpm
P Duration - 100 ms
QRS Duration - 90 ms
PR Interval - 132
QT Interval - 404 ms
QTc Interval - 419
QT Dispersion - 18 ms
PRT Axis: 58 -16 -4

Readings said:
Sinus Rhythm
Poss anterior infarct-age undeterminded
Inferior T wave changes are borderline abnormal for age/sex

He scheduled me an appointment with an Cardio Dr for next week. Any advice or help you throw my way will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: EKG Reading Abnormal....Help!

I'm far from being an expert but it sounds like the EKG showed a possible myocardial infarction (heart attack) to the left front side of the heart. The fact that they are waiting a week for you to see a cardiologist tells me that they must not be real concerned and must not feel that you are in immediate need of care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2005, 02:16 AM   #3

leviathan85 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiegriffith
Do I need to be alarmed by these results of a EKG test?

My family Doctor detected a heart murmur with a stethascope, ran an EKG with the results being Abnormal.

39 Caucasian Female
Vent Rate - 70 bpm
P Duration - 100 ms
QRS Duration - 90 ms
PR Interval - 132
QT Interval - 404 ms
QTc Interval - 419
QT Dispersion - 18 ms
PRT Axis: 58 -16 -4

Readings said:
Sinus Rhythm
Poss anterior infarct-age undeterminded
Inferior T wave changes are borderline abnormal for age/sex

He scheduled me an appointment with an Cardio Dr for next week. Any advice or help you throw my way will be greatly appreciated.
Hi Susie,

Why did you originally visit the doctor? Without seeing the EKG, I'd not be overly concerned about this but you definitely need to see a cardiologist to rule out any more ominous problems.

As per what the last person told you to do...if you have a possible heart attack, the proper amount of aspirin to take is two kids' chewables, or crush a regular adult pill.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:26 AM   #4

Operandi HB User

Hi

I've worked in cardiology performing most of the tests that people know: exercise tests, EKG's, angiograpghy, echo, holter etc etc

The fact that you know these details tells me that your doctor was using an EKG machine with auto diagnosis ie the machine gives out a guide as to what may be wrong.

Whilst these can be accurate, they can be notoriously inaccurate as "normal" EKG's vary from person to person and the machine cannot take this into account. They can also mis-diagnose if the electrodes were placed in the wrong places (which happens very often in doctors offices as they mostly don't use qualified technicians) or there was a bad quality recording ie artifacts.

In fact you soon learn that there is no such thing as a "normal" EKG. It can vary from day to day and definitely from person to person. I guess this is what keeps Cardiologists so busy - they need to use their experience and knowledge about your overall health and combine it with the test results to make a valid diagnosis.

Going to your EKG values:

Ventricular rate: 70bpm - that is text book "normal"
P duration: 100ms - again text book "normal"
QRS Duration: 90 ms - text book "normal"
PR Interval: 132 - text book "normal"
QT Interval: 404 ms - Hard to tell without seeing EKG trace, but very close to "normal"
QTc Interval: 419 - text book "normal"
QT Dispersion: 18 ms - seems "normal"
PRT Axis: 58 -16 -4 I'm not familiar with this measurement

So there appears to be a lot that is "normal" in your EKG. I haven't seen it, seen how it was performed and can't provide an accurate interpretation, but I would take a guess that the machine diagnosis is PROBABLY wrong, but you should definitely get it checked by a properly qualified cardiologist.

Last edited by Operandi; 04-25-2005 at 07:27 AM.

Closed Thread