It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 11:00 AM   #1
(male)

jmgcash3 HB User
Unhappy Left-side chest pain after smoking cigars

Hi everybody,

I had a question and I would be so grateful for any advice/suggestions!

I am 27 years old and in good shape physically and mentally. I have recently stopped smoking cigarettes and switched to cigars after about a month of not smoking at all. At the most I smoke maybe one cigar a day and notice that when I go to bed after smoking and most of the next day I have what I think are - palpitations? A feeling of a slow pound maybe? A way to describe it is that I'm just "very aware" of my heart beating and feel like I need to put pressure with my hand on the left part of my chest when laying on my back. I feel a fairly constant, dull twitch of pain sometimes in the upper left portion of my chest and at rare instances it will shoot towards my left shoulder and down my left arm. It's worse when I'm a cold or shivering.
This happens only when I lay down after smoking a cigar and during the next day at work, so I guess when at rest, or inactive. It doesn't affect my running or exercise at all, in fact after I run a mile and lift weights the next day after work it feels better.
I NEVER had this problem when I was smoking cigarettes for 10+ years. I could smoke over a pack a day and would never have any type of pain in my chest area. Anybody have any idea why cigars? Maybe much more nicotine?
I guess the reason this bothers me is because I find that smoking one cigar a day is much more pleasurable than smoking cigarettes all day, I can exercise more and generally feel much better overall (except the chest pain) when smoking a cigar. Any thoughts? These posts seem so helpful and thank you guys again for any ideas.

Last edited by jmgcash3; 04-28-2005 at 11:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread