It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

jakerleen HB User
Feeling rough since angiogram any advice?

Hi I had the angiogram done last week. Had it done in the arm, wasn't pleasant but was ok - ish. Only thing that happened is I had an angina attack while it was being done, scared the you know what out of me!

Result was no blocked arteries, but he told me I need an echocardiogram he says there are some rare heart conditions that cause angina and he thinks I may have one. As he didn't elaborate and I was still a bit spaced from the diazepam I didn't ask any more my doc has told me today it probably means valves or chambers where the problems are, but didn't tell me much more.

I had to go back to see her today because since the angiogram, my arm has absolutely killed me, the bruising is out, but i expected the pain to be a lot less than it is. they said after a week I would be back to normal and I'm not. I'm having a fair few angina attacks and my shoulder and arm hurt a lot of the time. sometiems the pain is a burning sensation. But my doc looked at my arm and says she can;t see anything.

When he took the wire out I actually felt it prod my back, by my shoulder. I still feel rough from it all, is this normal. my doc reckons my body is traumatised byt the experience and is reacting about it.

I know the guys are going to hate me bringing this up, but it might be something but my period happened 2 days later and it was 10 days early. Also it is extremely heavy with serious clots. sorry if this offends anyone, just concerned aobut how I feel, I wasn't expecting to feel this rough.

I suppose I'm looking for some confirmation of this from you guys because you ahve more experience in the aftereffects of stuff than the doc does if you know what I mean.

thanks for any help guys

Jackie xxxx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 01:07 AM   #2
(female)

happybunny HB User
Re: Feeling rough since angiogram any advice?

I reckon that our hormones can go a bit crazy with a stressful situation so that will probably explain the period. Maybe the worry before and after the procedure has given you quite a bit of stress. I'm sure the period cycle will settle down even if it takes a month or two to get back to normal. I'm a bit longer in the tooth than you (54) but I can remember the same thing happening to me years ago when I had an anxious time.

In the last 6 weeks I have had an angiogram via groin - then 3 weeks later I had an angioplasty via groin + 2nd angiogram via other groin (due to complications). After the 1st angiogram I was waddling due to discomfort in the first week then I had strange pains shooting down my thigh during the 2nd week, whenever I moved it. I had quite a bit of bruising. But by the 3rd week all was well and the bruising faded by just over 3 weeks and the pain stopped. All OK.

The angioplasty & 2nd angiogram have given me hardly any discomfort at all at the sites or down my legs. And there was NO bruising with the 2nd angiogram.

Just goes to show how every procedure can have a different recovery time. I think the guidelines given by doctors are just a rough idea of when we should be fine again. Don't take the "one week" as a golden rule. Sometimes less time - sometimes more time needed for recovery.

Maybe another week will see your arm comfortable. I saw someone who had just had an angiogram via the arm while I was in hospital. That route is praised for quick recovery and ease, but she said it was really uncomfortable while they were doing it - her shoulder was painful. Your arm may well be reacting to being treated strangely. An odd position may have tweaked a nerve or pulled something slightly. It may well settle down.

Hope you soon feel better
Annie

Last edited by happybunny; 04-29-2005 at 01:12 AM.

Old 04-29-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
(female)

jakerleen HB User

Thanks, yes the procedure was v. uncomfortable. I would have had it via the groin if they could have found the femorral pulse. Exactly the same, shoulder painful too.

thanks for replying it makes plenty sense and I feel more at ease about it now.

Take care Annie and good luck with everything for yourself, how are you now. Feeling better?

love

Jackie xx

Old 04-29-2005, 06:45 AM   #4
(female)

happybunny HB User

Glad you feel more at ease.

I'm improving every day, thanks. I had an internal bleed into a deep abdominal muscle 2 hours after the angioplasty so was kept in hospital for a week while they worked out what had happened via angiogram, hb levels and CT scan. I'm tired due to low red blood cells still but am walking more each day now and the muscle-bleed pain is decreasing. Heart is tip-top! No angina!

Soon be back in the gym!

Good luck with your further investigations and let us know how you go.

Take care
Annie

Old 04-30-2005, 10:43 AM   #5
(female)

MacyMaid HB User

My first cath was the worst as I had some &*$%^$%& Fellow at a teaching hospital being traind on me (Ms. Guinia Piggy here) without my knowledge. What is not told to people when they sign all those mounds of papers that if it is a teaching hospital...you do not get the good doctors working on you but a kid who has to earn his wings and if he does it worng...the patient suffers and or dies. And you still get the 50,000.00 hospital/surgeon fees...

The "kid" did something and I had a horrible bruise from below the naval down to the top of my thighs and from side to side in my lower abdomen. The kid also caused a fistula to form and I suffered with this also. But, they were all in denial and said, "oh me! I did not do that!~!

I literally despise teaching hospitals. No privacy...care is not all that good....and you are a guinia pig and at their mercy even though you pay big money for great quality care and service.

Closed Thread