It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 08:06 AM   #1
(female)

tatum46 HB User
Scared.. Could This Be Serious???

Hi,
Yesterday.. I was sitting in my backyard.. perfectly relaxed with a glass of orange juice all of a sudden my heart went crazy.. It was totally out of rythim and one beat was pounding the next barely there the time between them totallly out of wack.. it almost felt like I got electrocuted or something.
This lasted about 15-20 seconds, I felt very panicky, didn't know what to do.." should lay down? stand up? drink something? OMG I am dying!!!!! "
I have been to a chardiologist before and was told I am fine except I have "elevated pulmonary tension and that should be kept an eye on" is what I was told.
Has anybody experienced what I experienced before? Do you think I had a mini heart attack?
Please someone.. help......

Old 04-30-2005, 08:34 AM   #2
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User
Re: Scared.. Could This Be Serious???

Zoeb...I would say with great certainty you did not have a heart attack. Are you known to have anxiety? What happened to you was probably a PVC and you will see from this board and some of the posts, it is very common. I would mention it to your doctor though if this is something very new. But many of us have had our 1st experience and it has scared the beejeebees out of us, and after having it looked into found it is so very common. The more you worry or panick about it the more often you may notice the episodes happening. Magnesium is wonderful for heart palps especially if you are not one to get alot of green veges in your diet. As we get a little older (and some young) our magnesium is not high enough and this alone can cause them. The fact that you felt panic is normal...who likes that sensation ..it is scary. Read the post"Advice for first time pvc'ers" This will ease your mind......L

The post I mentioned is on the page 2 of this board.

Last edited by browneyedsusie; 04-30-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 11:02 AM   #3
(male)

tomh HB User

I'm learning to ask more questions when the doctor says "keep an eye on that" or "let's watch that for a while". The doctor knows exactly what he means, but without details, we are guessing. Guessing is not allowed.

What are we looking for? If this progresses, what can I expect to happen? What symptoms should have me calling 911, or the doc's office? Will this go away? Can I do anyting to make this better? What is the next step? What activities should I refrain from?

I wish you well.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:15 PM   #4
(female)

tatum46 HB User

Hi Willdo,
I had 2 echocardiograms 1 year apart and they both showed mildly elevated pulmonary hypertension and oddly enough my doctor or the reviewing cardiologist didn't take it much seriously, I am not on any meds.. I went to another cardiologist to make sure and he said I was subjected to unnecassary testing and my heart is healthy. Ofcourse the first time I read the "pulmonary hypertenstion" on the report I went online to research and by the time I was done I was FRRRREAKING OUT..
But the doctors are telling me it's mild and I don't have THE disease.
But they also tell me we should keep an eye on it.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
(female)

tatum46 HB User

Hi Willdo.. I am having echocardiograms, I have had 2 so far. My last one said everything was normal except "mildly elevated PA preassure of 39" and LV wall thickness at upper limit of normal...normal LV size and systolic function"
I am a very VERY ANXIOUS person.. so needless to say the fist time I got a copy of my echo report back and read the "mild pulmenary hypertension" casually scrolled on I freaked out.. decided I was dying within the year and went into a deep depression untill I spoke with my doctor the next day, he assured me that I DO NOT have the deadly form of primary pulmanory hypertension.. I think that's what it is called.. but had me wear holter monitor for 24 hrs.. everything was normal except some PVCs I have had another echo exactly a year after the first one and the result was as I mentioned before "mildly elevated PA pressure of 39" I went to see another cardiologist and he looked at all of my reports and told me I have a perfectly healthy heart the PA pressure may just be normal for me and since it hasn't changed since last year (actually it went down from 41 to 39) all that needs to be done is to keep up with yearly echo's and that way keep an eye on things.
So are you telling me I should not take their word for it and go see another cardiologist? Should I prepare to die??????
I am sorry but as I mentioned I tend to get terribly ANXIOUS..

Closed Thread