It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
(female)

Lesley998 HB User
Heart Palps related to digestive problems?

Anyone else find they get strange heart episodes when they eat something in particular?

I once was told that because the eosophaegus is so close to the heart, wind or gas can affect the heart rhythm.

I had a heart problem after taking a quinolone antibiotic five years ago (suspected MI, long Q-T measurement) all to do with the central nervous system affecting the electrical impulse. Thankfully, after tests, found that no MI had happened but it was awful and they never got to the botttom of it.

I now find if I eat chocolate, or have indigestion I get terrible palpitations, and 'thumping' or 'fluttery' feelings in my chest.

Any one else?

Last edited by Lesley998; 05-01-2005 at 08:24 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

jenn.e HB User
Re: Heart Palps related to digestive problems?

Yes, my palps are worse if I have heartburn, and I have even gone into SVT before from eating a bagel that got stuck going down. Annoying, isnt it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 02:53 PM   #3
(female)

Sapper HB User

Hello.

I've had PVC's for about 18 months and they are now much worse after eating - especially my evening meal.

I'm convinced certain foods make things worse but I can never seems to work out which these are.

Fizzy drinks or drinking too much water with meals usually is a trigger too.

I stay right away from chocolate.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:30 AM   #4
(female)

Lesley998 HB User

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Sometimes, my palps and fluttery feelings can be completely halted by doing one almighty belch
Glad its probably a stomach thing and not a heart thing!

Old 05-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #5
(female)

CANEY GIRL HB User

I'm So Glad I'm Not The Only One. My Palps Also Go Away After Belching Sometimes. If I Eat Late At Night I Get Them So Bad That I Fall Asleep With Them And Wake Up With Them.they Are Very Worrisome.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:53 AM   #6
(male)

caracalm HB User

Sounds to me like you probably got a hiatal hernia like many other people that don't even know it (stomach rides up and touches the heart wall..i think).
Stay off very hard foods for a while and eat less. Not knowing about my hernia, I had heart skips and all the other crazy symptoms for 5 months or so beacause of it. When my doc said I could have that, I started going on a soup diet last week and had no more problems since.
I still can't believe I suffered for months and prayed for a quick death coz of my stupid stomach. Went to ER once and to the doc 7 times too...and found nothing!

Stay on a soup diet for a few days with no hard foods (maybe something softer). Also sleep on your side or back trying, with your head a bit elevated to make the stomach slide down..not towards our heart.

AAh! I'm late! gtg

Old 06-13-2005, 02:12 AM   #7
(male)

parabellum HB User

caffeine and any other stimulants can cause palp.
also abdominal pressure will push against the heart and cause palp.

so, belching will help.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:06 AM   #8
(male)

Irish Lad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by caracalm
Sounds to me like you probably got a hiatal hernia like many other people that don't even know it (stomach rides up and touches the heart wall..i think).
Stay off very hard foods for a while and eat less. Not knowing about my hernia, I had heart skips and all the other crazy symptoms for 5 months or so beacause of it. When my doc said I could have that, I started going on a soup diet last week and had no more problems since.
I still can't believe I suffered for months and prayed for a quick death coz of my stupid stomach. Went to ER once and to the doc 7 times too...and found nothing!

Stay on a soup diet for a few days with no hard foods (maybe something softer). Also sleep on your side or back trying, with your head a bit elevated to make the stomach slide down..not towards our heart.

AAh! I'm late! gtg

I agree with everything said here. Soup diet for a few nights really helps.

Last edited by Irish Lad; 06-14-2005 at 10:06 AM.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:35 PM   #9
(female)

CANEY GIRL HB User

Question For Caracalm.would You Mind Sharing Your Symptoms With Me? This Whole Thing Has Been Very Stressful .thanks. Caney Girl.

Closed Thread