Is there anyone here that has or know someone who has gone through a pregnancy with dialated cardiomyopathy? Outcome? I have gotten mixed reviews from doctors and would like to speak with someone who has actually gone through this. Any advice or feedback would greatly be apreciated.
Hello! I suffer from Viral DCM. I was DX with an EF of 25% in January 2004 and told...."no children". However, we refuse to give up. I'm 36 which compounds the problem. Anyway....after my last of echo of 40% (and no further signs of enlargement), my cardiologist "cautiously" said that pregnancy would be OK as long as my EF didn't drop. So, he forwarded us to a High-Risk OB. He was optimistic and said "it's do-able" but "risky". They'd run all the special tests and watch me like a hawk....and that if at anytime my condition would start to decline, they would have to terminate the baby. I will stay on all meds....Coreg, Lasix, Enalapril (until last trimester as it causes kidney failure in the baby).
So....now we're weighing everything out. We've only been married two years and neither of us have any children. But, we are really happy and have alot of fun together.....so "is it worth the risk"????
Feel free to ask me anything......as this is a battle I've been struggling with for a while now!
It's been three years since I was diagnosed with dialated cardiomyopathy. At the time that I was diagnosed I was 20 weeks pregnant. My EF was less then 15% and my heart was enlarged. I couldn't walk more then a block without feeling as my heart was going to poud out of my chest. I could not continue with the pregnancy. Since then my EF is back at 52% and my heart is back to regular size. The doctors also tell me no children. Like you I have had mixed answers. Some say yes some say no. I struggle with it everyday. I want children more then anything. I am now married and my husband says that what ever choice we make he just wants to be certain that I will make it through and that the baby would be OK. I go back in June for a follow up, we plan on talking to my doctor again (who by the way is against it). He says it's up to us but he feels it'll be too risky. But he says many women have done it and have healthy babies and survive. I do know that I would not be able to continue taking Altace, they did say the Coreg would be fine. I'm only 27 so I still have some time I guess. To think at my age that I could never have children is just out of the question. I know that there are lots of children that need families, but before I go that route I want to be 100% sure that I can't have one myself. Good luck to you and what ever you decide.
My sister also has this and was also told not to have children anymore. She wants 1 more though. 4 out of 5 docs she has talked to have said no. One said it is possible but like others said, risky. He also mentioned a possible heart transplant if she were to go through with it.
I couldnt stand to see my sister suffer anymore than she already has with this condition, and if I or anyone else in the family had the say so it would be a big fat NO. We just worry about her.
Just remember that people love you and care about you. Goodluck to all of you no matter what your decision is.
DD born 5/25/05
I don't know if this girl had the same thing as you or not but I know she ignored the doctors, got pregnant and died, so did the unborn baby. ITs not worth the risk, and by the way don't take everyday peoples advice, talk to a cardiologist.
Life would be way much easier without a baby,,,they grow up into snarly teens anyway.
good luck hon,
i dont have cardiomyopathy. i just have LOTS of pvc's everday. one encouraging thing about the whole pregnancy thing i have to say is when i was pregnant my ef was 60 percent the whole time. i had an echo in the beginning and one near the end. pre pregnancy and for the last 10 yrs(my first echo) or so my ef has been 50 percent. i remember the difference cus i was always so worried about my ef being on the low end of normal my whole life then when i was pregnant it was NORMAL =]