It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 03:10 AM   #1

Emak HB User
Please help: heart problems at 28?

28 year old male, no history of any serious medical problems, no real anxiety issues, have been to doctor after doctor with no explanation in sight! Please help me form a possible diagnosis?

1. My head feels like it is full of water all of the time, there is pressure in my head and my head constantly feels like it is swimming under water. This has been going on constantly for at least 2 years.

2. Although I have what could be described as a "dry stuffy nose", the ENT doctor recently cleared me of any sinus or ear problems. The level of blockage in my nose is usually consistant with the amount of pressure I'm feeling in my head at the moment.

3. Occasionally I will have EXTREME dizzy spells where the room bounces around VIOLENTLY and/or spins out of control. These events normally only last a few seconds to a few minutes, but the "lingering effects" of these events have lasted days before on occasion, especially when laying down on my side or tilting my head back. This dizziness is not caused by sudden movement, but rather is constant in any position when it occurs.

4. There are days when I experience no dizziness at all, however the pressure in my head is allways there, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year.

5. There seems to be no particular trigger that sets off the dizzy spells, they happen for no apparent reason at all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Please help: heart problems at 28?

Emak,

It's an inner ear problem resulting in vertigo. It's usually labyrinthitis caused by a virus.
How long has it been bothering you? The viral problem usually clears itself up...unfortunaltely the vertigo can linger and LINGER. Sometimes you can trace it to about a week after you got over a cold.

See if you can find some MECLIZINE; it's now OTC (but probably cheaper as a prescription) and it's marketed as NON-DROWSY formula "Dramamine"...anyway, look for 25 mg meclizine on the label. They will help with the protracted periods if you pop one as soon as the swirling starts.
Is your vision disturbed also...any nausea?

Your ENT man is wrong when he cleared you of an ear problem...find a BETTER doctor.

Unfortunately there's not a lot that can be done except symptomatically...some people get relief with a diuretic which lowers the fluid pressure in the inner ear. The condition often just passes away as strangely as it started.

Check on the HEARING DISORDERS board immediatel above...there's a LOT there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

pittbulllover HB User

Welcome to the wonderful world of meineres syndrome. Get a new ENT!

Old 05-07-2005, 03:45 AM   #4

Emak HB User

I should point out....

The pressure in my head is the main symptom. It is like some one has a clamp on my head 24/7 around the TEMPLES of my head. The pressure doesn't seem to be connected to my ear region whatsoever. Does this still sound like an ear problem?

Thanks for the replies, everyone on this board is truley wonderful

Old 05-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emak
28 year old male, no history of any serious medical problems, no real anxiety issues, have been to doctor after doctor with no explanation in sight! Please help me form a possible diagnosis?

1. My head feels like it is full of water all of the time, there is pressure in my head and my head constantly feels like it is swimming under water. This has been going on constantly for at least 2 years.
Can you associate an experience or incident that happened PRIOR to you having these 24 hour head-pressure problems? You say that it started two years ago. Did you move? Did you change your diet? Did you have a bad case of the flu? When was the last time, prior to your problems, that you were on antibiotics? Were you placed on any medications within a year, PRIOR to your problems? Did you experiment with any types of drugs PRIOR to your problems?

Quote:
2. Although I have what could be described as a "dry stuffy nose", the ENT doctor recently cleared me of any sinus or ear problems. The level of blockage in my nose is usually consistant with the amount of pressure I'm feeling in my head at the moment.
When the sinus membranes swell, it can cause many unpleasant symptoms. You have sinuses above your eyes (Frontal), between your eyes (ethoid), beneath your cheek bones, from the bottom of your eyes to the tops of your molars (maxillary), and deeper in the head, behind the Ethoid Sinuses (sphenoid).

I'm sure that you are wondering if, somehow, your sinus swelling is related to your head pressure problems, since you have pointed out that your head pressure gets worse when your sinus swelling gets worse.

Quote:
3. Occasionally I will have EXTREME dizzy spells where the room bounces around VIOLENTLY and/or spins out of control. These events normally only last a few seconds to a few minutes, but the "lingering effects" of these events have lasted days before on occasion, especially when laying down on my side or tilting my head back. This dizziness is not caused by sudden movement, but rather is constant in any position when it occurs.
Do you mind saying what the "lingering effects" are? Do they include tiredness, an overall sick feeling, fatigue, weakness, palpitations?

Quote:
4. There are days when I experience no dizziness at all, however the pressure in my head is allways there, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year.
Since the problems are there 24 hours, every day, then I would have to think, in the absense of any obvious physical injury, disease or defect, that the causes of your problems are present ALL the time. Eliminate the causes, and the condition should improve, right?

Quote:
5. There seems to be no particular trigger that sets off the dizzy spells, they happen for no apparent reason at all.
Let's explore MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivies) and/or allergies, if you don't mind.

Since you have head pressure problems ALL the time, and also sinus stuffiness ALL the time, then we might assume that there are some things that could be causing both problems, and that you are in contact with the same "irritants" ALL the time. And...... sometimes you come into contact with an additional "irritant" that causes your normal reaction to include dizzyness and "lingering effects".

It's my belief that ANYTHING that someone eats or drinks, and ANYTHING that touches someone's skin anywhere on their body, and ANYTHING that someone breaths, including pollens, pollutants and odors, can cause major health problems. It could be as simple as the clothes that you wear. Many do not believe, or understand, that normal everyday materials, or chemicals, or foods, or drinks can cause a variety of health problems.

What do you think? Am I totally missing the mark? Have you already ruled MCS and allergies out?

Closed Thread