It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
(female)

mumoffive HB User
asd, pulmonary stenosis

Hi all. My baby was born at 34 weeks without any problems. However two days after her birth, we were told she had a heart murmur and an echocardiogram was planned for the following day. She was found to have a 6mm hole in her heart. 4 days later, there was a second echo performed and she was found to also have mild pulmonary stenosis. Shortly after this, she was placed on frusemide, as she had fluid build up in her liver. She also had significant right ventricle volume overload and was considered to be borderine cardiac failure. Her hole then measured 7mm. As you can imagine we were very scared and worried for her at this time. She went along fine until the age of 6 months when she fell ill. They repeated an echocardiogram and we were absolutely gobsmacked at the findings. Her hole had apparently closed over right down to just 3mm and her pulmonary stenosis only very very slight. They took her off frusemide as this may have caused her illness and she has been ok since. She is now 1yrs old. What I am worried about is, they have now scheduled her next echo for the end of 2007. Is this not a long time to wait? Because she went from borderline cardiac failure to nothing does cause some concern for us. Can this happen? Or can they get it wrong? We are just very concerned at having to wait this long...any info would be appreciated thanks in advance.

Old 05-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
(female)

mumoffive HB User
Re: asd, pulmonary stenosis

Sorry I also forgot to ask does anyone know what her normal resting heart rate should be...for 1 years of age. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 05:44 AM   #3
(female)

browneyedsusie HB User

Momoffive.....First of all , I can't imagine what you went through with all the worry, I am glad you have some peace of mind now.
I know that preemie babies are quite often born with the heart defect you mentioned(hole in the heart) and it is common for these to close over as the baby develops. Sometimes they have to do open heart surgery and close the hole with a mesh covering if it does not close over itself in a given amount of time. It is very common for these things to resolve themselves(thank goodness for nature) . If the babies cardiologist feels that things have repaired ( or healed) then I am sure he is confident that your baby will not have future problems. The other problems you mentioned were probably a result of the hole causing the heart not to function at an optimum level. Now that the hole has started to heal....the function of the heart is much better.
A childs or babies resting heart rate is extremely fast compared to that of an adult. Sometimes I will hug my kids and think their HR is fast. My daughter spent 4 days in hospital recently and when doing her vitals I asked about her fast rate. They said it is perfectly normal. I have it written down somewhere but will have to find it.
Bless you and your baby and I am so happy about your baby doing so well!
L

Old 05-06-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
(female)

mumoffive HB User

Thanks so much for your reply... We were just so uncertain because her first Cardiologist, an adult cardiologist, told us she would definitely not heal on her own and would need open heart surgery. I remember asking him three times if the hole might close over on it's own and he replied with a definite no. That her hole was too large and she would be needing surgery. Her peadiatricians also thought her to be more than 34 weeks, more like 38 weeks because she looked like a full term baby and had no problems at all so there was definitely a query over her prematureness. So you can probably understand why we are thinking caustiously....

We are of course so delighted she is doing so well, and we hope and pray they have got it right... Thanks for your time again, really appreciated...

Closed Thread