It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

eye2797 HB User
ECHO and EKG?

Is it possible to have an abnormal EKG, but a normal Echo?
I thought they both did somewhat the same test. also what do the numbers mean on he ekg, like the QRS. is there somewhere to find out the range these numbers can be
Thanks
Krista

Old 05-06-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: ECHO and EKG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye2797
Is it possible to have an abnormal EKG, but a normal Echo?
I thought they both did somewhat the same test. also what do the numbers mean on he ekg, like the QRS. is there somewhere to find out the range these numbers can be
Thanks
Krista
Complex question and unable to give all the parameters and conclusions.

To start regarding EKG. It is an electrical output of the beating heart. The beginning of the wave is ground or zero output; it will be a positive if above grd and negative if below.

QRS wave: The beginning of the positive wave (grd) is "Q"; then a steep rise to a peak "R" and steeply decending to grd or "S". For abnormally wide (point Q to R could indicate right or left bundle branch block (RBBB, LBBB), ventricular rhythm, hyperkalaemia, etc.

Prior to QRS there is a positive blip and the frequency will show heart rate.

ST segment follows QRS. Elevation includes acute MI, variants, peridarditis, etc.

ST segment depression possible MI, ventricular hypertrophy, LBBB, etc.

There are pathological Q waves...... etc.

EKG uses a transducer (converts sound to electronic pulses) that provides a feedback to the screen giving a visual view of the heart. lt will measure dimensions. color code blood flow through the valves, computerized calculation provides a numerical values as output....etc

EKG's are less expensive than an echo and that procedure would be the first test. An echo will provide values that can be used as a reference for later tests to determine stability of patient or lack thereof. An abnormal EKG requires further testing.

Do you have any specific questions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
(female)

eye2797 HB User

thank you for your response. The report I have on the Ekg says probable left ventricular hypertrophy with tall R in the inferior leads. and presence of early repolarization. This is on my son who is 8, first his ped says goto cardio doc and than his echo came back normal, so now the ped says dont need to go. four years ago we were told he had mild left ventricular hypertrophy, we have had times of him becoming short of breath when being active and this did not appear to be normal for him. I just dont understand. the numbers below are the ones posted on his EKG. so what now, where do I find the chart of numbers or answers for this
the numbers are
PR 123
QRSD 68
QT 362
QTc 391

AXES
P 45
QRS 84
T 73
thanks
Krista

Old 05-07-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

ECG interpretation include conduction analysis, waveforms, rhythm analysis and QT intervals. Inerpretation is usually done by an MD trained in radiology. I have some knowledge in electronics and an understanding of waveforms; the waveforms are on a grid with MV (volts, amplitude) on the vertical axis and the horizontal axis is the time in ms (milsec).

The tall R is the amplitude that is part of the QRS complex described in my prior post. Normal QRS is -30 to 90. Your son is high normal at 84. Good or not good!? There are variations between adult and children. " "T is the heart rate and 73 is well within tthe normal range. Normal PR is 120 to 200 ms. That would be the time from "P" (wave before the QRS complex) to the peak "R".

My reading before medication and during my admittance for congested heart failure.
PR 152
QRSD 73
QT 299
QTc 406

Axes...
P 39
QRS -24
T-111

I don't know your background but the link to...medstat.med.utah.edu/kw/ecg...may provide additional info that you can understand. If you post the M-values (output from echo), it will give a clearer picture and understanding of the condition. Shortness of breath is not always a heart condition!

Old 05-09-2005, 08:20 AM   #5
(male)

tomh HB User

I view the EKG as a test of the electrical systems. The echocardiogram tests the mechanical systems. A problem in with one system can influence the other, especially when in distress.

I had a valve replaced, but never had electrical issues. On the other hand, I would think that if the electrical system isn't firing correctly, the echo would show the chambers out of sequence or missed-timed.

Old 05-09-2005, 11:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Tomh,

I understand your thinking, but EKG is not limited to just rhythm analysis. Heart wall movement and overall heart function can be evaluated with cardiac gating (electric signal from the pumping to obtain images of heart contraction (mechanical). EKG also synchronizes the image of the heart with different parts of the cardiac cycle (contraction and relaxing mechanical )...It is not limited to record electrical contents that activate the heart muscle and cause it to pump.

Three leads from the chest to ground (leg) establishes an electrical-potential difference between lead and ground and among other things it can by passing a small electric current establish chamber and wall size.

The echo uses sound to determine chamber and wall sizes. It can establish the heart's efficency by measuring the blood flow (based on volume) from the left ventricle and the amount passing through the AV, and whether or not valves are leaking.

QUOTE: On the other hand, I would think that if the electrical system isn't firing correctly, the echo would show the chambers out of sequence or missed-timed.

If the chambers' contractions are out of sync, it seems to me it would be picked up during dystole (filling left chamber) and the output through the AV. Blood voume would be affected.

Last edited by started04; 05-09-2005 at 11:53 AM.

Closed Thread