It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2005, 10:47 PM   #1
(female)

peacefrogs79 HB User
Please help! what could this be?

Hello Everyone, I am a new member of this group and would like to tell
you my experience.
I am a 25 yr old female. I have been getting this since I was
16. Out of no where I get this feeling like flutters in the center of
my chest that only last a
second or two and they feel like they take my breath away. Sometimes when I eat (especially) out in public I get short of breath??! Also, there are times that I feel like I cant catch my breath..almost like being smothered! I am on lexapro(for anxiety) and that has really
helped that feeling ALOT. I have been to my family dr. a cardiologist,
and to the E.R. and they all 3 tell me the same thing...tachycardia due to anxiety.
I have had bloodwork,numerous ekg's,an echo,and have
worn a 24 hr. holter on 2 different occasions. What I still worry
about is the fact that none of these "flutters" have been caught in
action..but my cardiologist said that was ok.?! These things have
really taken over my life..I worry and dwell on them all the time! any
advice or input would be appreciated! Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 06:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User
Re: Please help! what could this be?

I have a theory that might be completely wrong, but I believe it may have to do with your estrogen levels. When I was very young and estrogen levels were high I had those flutters very frequently. As I'm aging(44) and I know my estrogen levels have dropped I hardly ever have the fluttering now. For years I cut back on caffeine thinking that was the problem. I believe it did contribute so definitely watch that but kind of watch and see if maybe this fluttering comes in cycles. You might even try recording something on your calendar for say a month and see if this is cyclic. It won't fix the problem but it might give you some security in knowing what could be causing it and therefore less anxiety.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
(female)

peacefrogs79 HB User

Thank you both for replying. You both make very interesting points. I have had every test that my cardiologist is willing to do. He tells me not to worry at all that I am fine. The biggest reason I worry is because I have never been symptomatic while having a test done and I have read on the internet that unless you are symptamatic then they can not fully diagnose you.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:13 PM   #4
(female)

peacefrogs79 HB User

Well all, I went to the cardiologist for a check up yesterday and he once again reassured me that this is anxiety. I havent mentioned it on here yet but almost 3 years ago I was in a bad car accident and was hospitalized for 2 months, while there I was hooked up to a monitor constantly. He told me that if I did have a dangerous arrythmia that would have definetly showed up then. Now that I think about it that makes sense..lol. Now just tackling this anxiety and getting rid of these things!!

Closed Thread