It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
(male)

fry HB User
My ongoing pain

Hi Everyone

I posted here before about my problem which causes missed heart beats and although I have been told that these PVC's are not life threatening and will not cause harm, they are still causing me an extreme discomfort, and as someone else pointed out, they may be harmless but the cause of them might need treating I wondered if anyone had come across my latest problem as this issue progresses.

Over the last few days the pain I have had under my xiphy sternum (which incidently sticks out quite far if that makes a difference) has become worse to the extent that I have had to stay in bed for the last 2 days and have not eaten anything in that time. I got up and about today as it seems to have helped a bit, but here's the new thing.....

I have recently been finding that my 'missed beats' are somehow linked to eating (strange as it may sound) as I seem to be getting them shortly after. For the most time it feels as if there is a 'lump' in my throat (even when I'm not eating)...........the sort of feeling you get when emotional or you've just swallowed something a bit big that you should have chewed more!............and I do get a feeling/irritation under my sternum when I swallow........like a feeling of the food passing a certain point

This makes me think there is a problem there that somehow is impinging/rubbing/affecting my heart rhythm..............is this possible?????

I have sometimes experienced the same missed beat feeling when twisting or bending, again making me think there is a problem in there

Can anyone relate to this????

Thanks

Pete

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: My ongoing pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry
Hi Everyone

I posted here before about my problem which causes missed heart beats and although I have been told that these PVC's are not life threatening and will not cause harm, they are still causing me an extreme discomfort, and as someone else pointed out, they may be harmless but the cause of them might need treating I wondered if anyone had come across my latest problem as this issue progresses.
There are many things that you breath, including odors, pollens and pollutants, that can cause the heart to become irritated and start to misfire, or cause changes in blood pressure. There are also things that touch your skin, like certain materials, dyes, pollens, pollutants, etc, that can also cause the heart to become irritated and start to misfire. There are also things that you eat or drink or otherwise comsume, that can cause the heart to become irritated and to misfire.

When an irritant is present, the neurohormonal system produces chemicals that can effect the heart and other organs and areas of the body. The neurological system can also produce chemicals that can influence the heart or other parts of the body.

Most of the heart medicines today attempt to block the effects of the Neurohormonal system. That is why the medicines are named "blockers" or "inhibitors". The next generation of heart meds will attempt to block certain chemicals that are produced by the neurological system.

Your body also has a circadian rhythm, in which chemicals (hormones) are released during different times of the day, which can irritate the heart and cause it to misfire. Because your circadian rhythm changes the chemical balance of your body, somethings might irritate your heart during one time during the day, but not during another time.

Seasonal changes can also have an effect.

In my case, once my heart has become irritated, the effect can last for up to three days. Once my heart has already become irritated, if I come into contact with another irritant, the misfiring of my heart gets worse. In other words, the misfiring might start off with a simple PVC, or PAC or a skipped beat; but when the heart gets additionally irritated, the misfiring gets worse and may result in more forceful and uncomfortable beats. There are also some irritants that cause worse misfiring than others. As the misfiring of the heart gets worse, it also gets more dangerous.

When one considers all of these "changing" heart irritants, and the many different combinations of irritants, one can understand why it is so difficult to diagnose heart problems, especially in a clinically clean doctor's environment.

Quote:
Over the last few days the pain I have had under my xiphy sternum (which incidently sticks out quite far if that makes a difference) has become worse to the extent that I have had to stay in bed for the last 2 days and have not eaten anything in that time. I got up and about today as it seems to have helped a bit, but here's the new thing.....
When you FIRST get into bed, do you ever notice an increase in your problems?

Quote:
I have recently been finding that my 'missed beats' are somehow linked to eating (strange as it may sound) as I seem to be getting them shortly after. For the most time it feels as if there is a 'lump' in my throat (even when I'm not eating)...........the sort of feeling you get when emotional or you've just swallowed something a bit big that you should have chewed more!............and I do get a feeling/irritation under my sternum when I swallow........like a feeling of the food passing a certain point
Many things that you eat or drink can cause the heart to misfire. There are many reasons for this including allergies, chemicals or additives in the food, too much carbohydrates or sugars in the meal, etc.

Are you overweight? Do you have a beer belly? If so, you might want to research Metabolic Syndrome, also known as Syndrome X or Insulin Resistance, which can also be a cause of high blood pressure and the heart to misfire.

As far as myself, I've been battling serious heart disease for about twenty years. I have no medical background at all, and most of what I have learned has been through research, mostly on the Internet.

Regards, and best of luck and health!

Old 05-11-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
(male)

fry HB User

Hi Beerzoids

Thanks for your reply.

I understand the irritant and obnoxious chemical bit as I worked in a chemistry laboratory for 15 years, leaving that behind 12 years ago.

As far as an allergy to food thing I'm noticing this missed beat situation is not particular to any type of food, only that 'solid' food causes it. In other words drinking, although I can again feel it 'pass' a point, does not cause an onset. That, coupled with on onset caused by possible movement, twisting, etc is what make me think that it is a proximity problem which is affecting my heart or (if I have been told correctly) the collection of nerves that resides just under the xiphy sternum which in turn could be affecting my heart rhythm (the solar plexus I'm told but dont know whether this is true!).

When getting into bed I cant say I've noticed an increased problem as this is making me so tired I just fall asleep, or if its worrying me somewhat and I lie awake thinking about it I cant say I've noticed it there either.

A beer belly, yes I do have one.....not humongous by any means but there nonetheless.....I will shoot off after this post and scour the healthboards for metabolic syndrome.....thank you for that.

Indeed thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I have no one else to talk to about this and even though its only a computer screen, you have helped.

My best regards to you

Pete

Old 05-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry
Hi Beerzoids

Thanks for your reply.

I understand the irritant and obnoxious chemical bit as I worked in a chemistry laboratory for 15 years, leaving that behind 12 years ago.
What do you think about the possibility of some residual health effects and sensitivities caused by the chemicals that you encountered 12 years ago?

Quote:
A beer belly, yes I do have one.....not humongous by any means but there nonetheless.....I will shoot off after this post and scour the healthboards for metabolic syndrome.....thank you for that.
While you're looking into Metabolic Syndrome, I'll research malformed xiphy sternums. Sounds like a tough thing to research. Can't be too much available on it, can there?

Do you mean the xiphoid process of the sternum?

Regards!

Last edited by Machaon; 05-11-2005 at 08:44 AM.

Old 05-11-2005, 08:47 AM   #5
(male)

fry HB User

I'd sort of ruled out the chemical thing at work simply because although 1 year after I left I had a similar problem in the same area as I have it now (xiphy), I did not have the misssed beats which are causing so much worry, and although I have had an on and off irritation there, nothing more has become of this until now.

Maybe I'm wrong but I tend to think that if I mentioned it to the doc I'd get the usual 'that was 12 years ago and if it was something serious it would have killed you by now' reply.

Are you in the UK by the way???

Best Regards

Pete

Old 05-11-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry
I'd sort of ruled out the chemical thing at work simply because although 1 year after I left I had a similar problem in the same area as I have it now (xiphy), I did not have the misssed beats which are causing so much worry, and although I have had an on and off irritation there, nothing more has become of this until now.
I assume that you are referring to the "xiphoid process" of the sternum, right?

Actually, whether or not the chemical encounters, 12 years ago, effect you today, is of little significance. There is little that you can do about it anyway.

What caught my eye about your notes, was that you spent two days in bed, not eating. That sends a strong message about the severity of your problems.

Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong but I tend to think that if I mentioned it to the doc I'd get the usual 'that was 12 years ago and if it was something serious it would have killed you by now' reply.
It has been well documented that chemical exposure, even twenty, or thirty, years prior can have a profound effect on someone's health decades later.

You must also consider that you might have more than one cause for your misery. It could be a combination of the pressure on the nerves by the malformed xiphoid process of your sternum, which could cause a chemical reaction which irritates your heart, plus additional problems caused by other irritants, pollutants or allergens. Plus, you can't rule out Metabolic Syndrome, which might also be one of the factors.

Sadly, there are few easy answers in this life.

Quote:
Are you in the UK by the way???

Best Regards

Pete
I've never been to England. I'm in the southeastern US.

I've always admired the British for their courage and strength in defeating the fascists during WWII, especially during the air war over Britain.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fry
Do you have any idea why your xiphy sternum (xiphoid process?) sticks out? What do Xrays show? I would think it important to find out why yours sticks out. Has this been since birth?

If this is causing some pressure on nerves, then that "might" explain some of your heart misfiring problems. During pain, the neurological system dumps chemicals in the body, that could wind up effecting the heart.

Since I have no medical experience or training, I am only throwing out ideas, hoping that you can use some of the info.

Quote:

This makes me think there is a problem there that somehow is impinging/rubbing/affecting my heart rhythm..............is this possible?????

I have sometimes experienced the same missed beat feeling when twisting or bending, again making me think there is a problem in there

Can anyone relate to this????

Thanks

Pete
I'm revisiting these statements of yours. One theory of mine is, that once the heart has been made sensitive, such as, in your case, by the impinging of nerves by your xiphoid process, then the heart will also be more apt to react to other stimulants or irritants, such as chemicals, additives, etc. in your foods.

Also, if your xiphoid process is pressing on nerves, then it could be causing the lump in your throat, plus contributing to your heart misfiring.

What have you found out about the nature of your xiphoid process deformity? What have the xrays shown?

Old 05-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #8
(male)

fry HB User

Hi Beerzoids..........bit of a delay...........sorry.........I'm still here though just didn't get chance to get back to my computer until now

Isn't it a strange name xiphoid process????

I can't remember if its from birth or not but its been there quite a while..........I guess it could be a nerve thing but I wonder exactly what else is around this area.....I need one of those 3d models that shows all the bits and bobs that are there........maybe it could be an intestine or colon thing.........

I've had chest xrays before but no doctor has commented on the fact that it sticks out! maybe its not enough to be considered a deformity and therefore dismissed.....what you have to remember is that we have a national health service that puts cost first therefore if you're not bleeding to death its a low priority!!

Regards

Pete

Closed Thread