It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

vtgrl HB User
prolonged rapid heartbeat and arrhythmia - worry?

I am on a business trip and haven't been sleeping great the past few nights. Last night I was out in the city (only drank two beers in the course of a long night) and got back to the hotel room only to find I couldn't sleep. My heart was pounding and fluttering. I didn't feel faint or short of breath, but it was irritating and scary. It lasted for hours and kept me up so that I only got 3 hours of sleep. I wondered if I should go to the doc but didn't. This morning I woke up and the rapid heartbeat is still there (~100bpm, and my usual resting HR is around 55). Again, I still don't feel horrible, except a little shaky and my stomach seems to be unhappy. I will try to get in touch with my doc, but has anyone here experienced anything similar? SHould I be concerned more than I am? I have to take a long flight tomorrow and that worries me. I can't think of what could cause this, except that I recently started taking an iron supplement for moderate anemia and I did take an iron pill right before bed. Any help would be great.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

katidid95 HB User
Re: prolonged rapid heartbeat and arrhythmia - worry?

About a month ago I started having an elevated HR with episodes of really rapid HR with a panicky adrenaline feeling. So far I've had two heart moniotors, and EKG and an echocardiogram. The echo did find an abnormality that I was born with, but it has nothing to do with the elevated HR. (I'm 46 and usually have a HR of 65-68). So he and my GP have given me pills to help me sleep for a couple of weeks and check back (we're thinking anxiety). Anyway, long story short, there are a LOT of things that can tell your heart to beat rapidly, so in the short term, just take some deep breaths and plan on making an appointment with your Dr. to get checked out. If anything, it will give you peace of mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User
Re: prolonged rapid heartbeat and arrhythmia - worry?

Hi vtgrl,

A thyroid disorder can cause fluttering of the heart; also lack of mineral elements could be an explanation. Magnesuim is essential for a healthy cardiac function. Deficiencies in this element with other minerals and vitamins as well can cause heart irregularities.

You may want to get a blood test to rule out deficiencies from a poor diet; that may also be a cause of a stomach disorder. Could be an allergic reaction. The blood test will also give the doc a general idea of the condition as related to liver, kidney, thyroid, etc. Then again it may be just stress related anxiety.

Closed Thread