It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
(female)

CyndeeT HB User
heart rate by # of steps taken

My dr says I'm unfit--that I should be able to walk 2 miles in 30 minutes. I don't seem to get my pedometer to measure correctly AND it seems to me that there must be a better way than distance, since the length of people's strides and legs varies.

Does anyone know how many STEPS I should take for a 30 minute walk to move toward being adequately fit?

Old 05-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

CyndeeT HB User
Re: heart rate by # of steps taken

Thanks--I think my stride is 2.5 feet, but I can't really trust that measure--and if I go absolutely as fast as I can, I can only do a mile in about 25 minutes. And I feel like I'm running! That's why I want to know about steps rather than miles--my pedometer counts both. I dont' care about how many miles, I want to find some way of knowing how many steps ANYONE can take that will equal what doctors say is a mile (in other words a mile is a different distance depending on the length of your stride and length of your legs).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
(female)

CyndeeT HB User

I understand that a mile is the same for everyone, but the necessary speed with which to walk a mile or some distance is what I'm after. For instance, if you were an ant--a human mile, although still a human defined mile, makes no sense. Can anyone help me with steps that would equal the equivalent of a mile but not use the mile as a measurement.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:45 PM   #4
(female)

CyndeeT HB User

Thanks Willdo--I'm 58 so it looks like my rate should be between 97.2 and 145.8 (but my resting rate is 90). During my stress test my heart rate got up to 163, 2.5 mph, and that didn't feel too good. I got the impression that the cardiologist wanted me to walk that fast--she said I would just have to push through it. Ugh.

Old 05-17-2005, 02:11 AM   #5
(female)

happybunny HB User

I have a new pedometer and this is what it says in the info for calculating the stride:-

1. Mark a starting point on ground and walk 10 steps. Mark the stopping point then measure between the points and divide by 10. This gives the stride length.

2. Or.....the approximation.
Females. multiply height in inches by 0.413 and divide by 12.
Males. Multiply height in inches by 0.415 and divide by 12

3. Or......the average.
Just take the average values which are 2.5 ft for men and 2.25 ft for women

I worked out that if your stride is 2.5 ft then you would take 2112 steps to do a mile.
If your stride is 2.25 ft then you would take 2347 steps to do a mile.

Hope this helps. Just build up steadily.

Old 05-17-2005, 07:25 AM   #6
(female)

CyndeeT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybunny
I have a new pedometer and this is what it says in the info for calculating the stride:-

1. Mark a starting point on ground and walk 10 steps. Mark the stopping point then measure between the points and divide by 10. This gives the stride length.

2. Or.....the approximation.
Females. multiply height in inches by 0.413 and divide by 12.
Males. Multiply height in inches by 0.415 and divide by 12

3. Or......the average.
Just take the average values which are 2.5 ft for men and 2.25 ft for women

I worked out that if your stride is 2.5 ft then you would take 2112 steps to do a mile.
If your stride is 2.25 ft then you would take 2347 steps to do a mile.

Hope this helps. Just build up steadily.
Happybunny--thanks--I just reset my pedometer--I think I had my stride set too long. We'll see what happens. It's finally gotten warm enough so I can start walking on the beach where I live.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #7
(female)

happybunny HB User

How lucky you are! Enjoy that beach. I am very jealous.

Just take the walking as it comes. Everyone has different problems, different fitness, different bodies. I had an angioplasty nearly 5 weeks ago and now I walk with no angina - wonderful! I have increased my distance and speed and have gone from 2.69 miles/hr to 3.57 miles/hr from May 1st to May 17th (today) measured over the same walk by my local canal. But figures don't matter. It's how you feel that matters. I now feel so good walking freely and easily - and quickly - back to my old speed or thereabouts. The pedometer helps me have a target but it's how the body feels that is important. And enjoying the walking is a BIG thing.

Let me know how you get on - how you feel, not just the figures!!!
Annie

Old 05-17-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
(female)

CyndeeT HB User

Hi happybunny--thanks for the info and encouragement. I just walked with my friend who is very IN shape, but even she thought we were walking too fast! I feel pretty good, but then I felt pretty good before I knew I wasn't in shape--I didn't do much over the winter, because it was so cold and windy here and I was going through prescription drug withdrawal--now still having withdrawal effects but weather makes it good enough to get outside and garden, walk, ride around, just BE outside. I also have fibromyalgia so if I over-do, I end up in bed for days. Need to lose about 20 pounds I put on over the past few years while on anti-depressants and that is very slow going. But my heart is fine, knock on wood, just a lumpy, unfit body to contend with.

i really appreciate the info re: range of heart rate--tomorrow I'm going to try to remember to take a watch with a second hand with me so I can get a better handle on exactly what's going on.

Closed Thread