It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 08:11 AM   #1
(male)

Andrew_wilson87 HB User
Chest/Heart Pain

Hey, I am only just turning 18. Recently my chest around my heart area has been in pain and my pulse is over 80 when resting and I just cant seem to get relaxed and am afraid something may be wrong, I do smoke but am trying to quit. It feels like I get these quick short pains in my heart like its pushing somthing through it, or it stings. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:26 PM   #2
(male)

richdaws1984 HB User
Re: Chest/Heart Pain

Hey Andrew,

Your resting heart rate of 80 is perhaps slightly high but many people have heart rates of 80+ bpms.

Smoking is a major cause of increased heart rate and so is worry.

The average can fall anywhere between 60 and 100. I think 72 is about the ideal rate but this all depends on each and every person. Fit people may be as low as 40-50 bpm and i have read loads of posts from people whose heart rate is in the 90's and 100's who DONT have anything wrong with them.

Willdo's comment about "congenital heart defect" seems slightly extreme to me so dont worry yourself over this. There a million and 1 things it could be!

Go to a PROPER doctor and get it checked out. "Congenital" means present at or before birth - as you are 17 i seriously doubt it would have gone unnoticed for so long. I am not a doctor though and as far as im aware, nobody else on this board is qualified to give a guessed diagnosis against a four line post.

Sorry if this sounds bitchy but i cant see the point in needlessly worrying someone by randomly posting a condition. People come to these boards for help, advice and reassurance, not copied text from internet searches and guessed diagnosis.

Thanks/Sorry/Good Luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

started04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB Userstarted04 HB User

Andrew,

If you can't relax, it is no surprise your HR at rest is 80. I would have guessed it to be higher with smoking put into the equation. Try taking your HR before getting out of bed in the morning. My HR is always lowest at that time, but my BP is higher.

Old 05-17-2005, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

Smoking causes your arteries to contract. It may be causing some sort of spasming in the arteries of your heart. I would talk to your doctor about ways to quit the smoking. Anxiety and smoking together is very taxing on your heart. Maybe some relaxation methods would be helpful too.
Be sure to let your parents know how you are feeling. They know you best and should be able to determine whether you need to seek medical attention.

Old 05-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #5
(female)

born2bwild HB User

Andrew, It could be alot of things and hopefully you will get checked out. Smoking will kill you, you should quit but i doubt that the actual pain you describe around your heart area is the effects of the smoking at such a young age. The resting heat rate really isin't that bad but you don't mention any other side effects you may have with this that may make a difference. Could be anxiety but i am not sure how much actual chest pain a person has with anxiety alone. I have what i call heart pain and i would just tell them that my heart hurt. Is very hard to explain but at times it would feel like someone was squeezing my heart or like i had a ton of bricks on my chest at other times but it was always the same area. I noticed that willdo suggested possibly a CHD and i wouldn't rule that out even if it is 1 in a million (which it isn't) as i am 41 and just diagnosed with a CHD although i have had symptoms for about 10 years and many more than the two you mention. Thats why i wondered if you were having any other symptoms. The types of CHD that are usually gone unoticed would be first an Atrial septal defect and it is the most common, it is a hole in the atrium (upper chamber). Apparantly this can go unoticed till your 41 but notwithout some damage usually. They said most of the time it presents in early 20's maybe 30's or school age and the child may notice shortness of breath during activites. For women they may have problems with pregnacy and be diagnosed at that time. This type of CHD is not usually detected a birth unless it is extremly large or there is other involement. Mine is 2.5cm and is considered to be medium to large. There is a criteria for closure of these holes but mine is big enough and am waiting for repair. They said that the right side of the heart has less to do, kinda like a holding chamber and therefore you can go a long time without detection. The other type of CHD is a Ventricle septal defect which a hole in the lower chamber and i believe it is less likely this would go undiagnosed because of the area involved and i believe it would produce more symptoms at a youger age, if not at birth. It certainly would be a long shot to suspect a CHD but not unreasnable. Some cardiac testing would be needed to check the pain you complain about or any other heart symptoms you haven't mentioned. To rule out any other cardiac issues. Don't just settle for the anxiety diagnosis without ruling out other medical causes first. I waited out the anxiety diagnosis for about 8 years and finally got a simple chest xray done when i told them i couldn't stand the pain in my chest. Doc thought i had a cold but i really had a hugely enlarged heart. Needs to be looked at either way. good luck

Closed Thread