It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User
Carotid Artery

I wasn't sure what board to put this under - but my dad found out today that his Carotid? artery is stopped up. He is 82 years old. I understand he is supposed to go to the hospital Wed. and have an ultrasound. Could someone please tell me what happens next? I am worried about this!

Old 05-23-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

lavender01 HB User
Re: Carotid Artery

My dad has found out that he has a 70% blockage - can someone tell me what they may do? He is supposed to go to another doctor Friday? Isn't this pretty dangerous?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
(female)

Silver2sea HB User
Re: Carotid Artery

Lavender,

A 70% blockage is fairly significant; to put it in to perspective, usually a surgeon won't operate on the carotids until they are 60% blocked. Very possibly, the doctors will want to open up the affected artery and clean it out. The good news is that this surgery is done on people of your dad's age every day and while it is a serious surgery, it is very common with good results.

I've had carotid surgery 3 times--twice on the left and once on the right. The second surgery on the left was because scar tissue had formed and it was blocking the artery. This surgery is the easiest one I've ever had to recover from. By the way, I'm 56 and was first diagnosed with carotid blockages when I was 34. I've had various by-pass surgeries on other parts of my body and have stents in my heart and right renal artery. Typically vascular disease is an illness of the elderly, however, all of us have some degree of plaque build up in our arteries as we age. I, on the other hand, have a significant family history of vascular disease; my mother at 53 had a stroke while having the test on her carotids. That was 30 years ago and, thankfully, the testing process is much improved. However, she had known for 2-years that she needed carotid surgery and chose to delay which ultimately caused her to stroke out during the test and she died 3-days later. It sounds like your dad is doing everything right.

I see that he was to go to the doctor today. I hope you come back and let us know how he is doing.

Closed Thread