It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2005, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

aeq777 HB User
beta blockers

Hi -
I was just diagnosed with MVP and was prescribed Toprol 50mg. I have had chest pains on and off for years but NEVER when excercising. Today after being on the Toprol since Friday I got on the treadmill and this I have done for months for 20 minutes a day but today after 9 minutes I started to get chest pains.
Could it be an effect from the beta blocker? They don't seem to be helping much and I'm going to ask the doctor about going off them.
I don't know what to think. I go for an Echo on the 25th and the doctor doesn't think I have any blockage.
Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

aeq777 HB User
Re: beta blockers

Thank you so much Willdo, you always help and it's much appreciated.

I will speak to him before stopping but I have not been feeling well since starting it and maybe I'm the one that can't take that stuff.
I have NEVER, EVER gotten chest pains from excercising and that scared the heck out of me.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by aeq777; 05-16-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2005, 07:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

I take Toprol XL with no problems but my Aunt could not take it. It caused her to have chest pain.

Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 PM   #4
(female)

aeq777 HB User

Hi Ninelives,
Can I ask how old your Aunt is and if they gave her something else instead? I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see what he says. I didn't feel that well on them before the chest pain started. And I never had all this before the beta blocker. I mean I had the palps and chest pains but not this bad. And Saturday I had shortness of breath and that I never had. I don't like these pills.
Thanks for your help.

Old 05-16-2005, 10:01 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

NineLives HB User

My Aunt was probably in her late 50's at the time. The doctors she was seeing could not seem to come up with a reason for her having chest pain. She ended up at the Mayo Clinic and they are the ones who told her that the cause of her chest pain was the Toprol. I'm not sure of the reason she was originally put on the toprol and I don't know whether she was put on something else or not.

When you say that you had shortness of breath on Saturday was that at the same time that you experienced the chest pain while exercising? I don't know your history but if you have chest pain and shortness of breath while execising that stops when you stop your activity that can be a sign that something more is going on. Whatever you do don't just stop taking the Toprol suddenly. You need to do it under the advice of a physician.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:20 PM   #6
(female)

aeq777 HB User

Hi Ninelives,
No I had the shortness of breath on Saturday at a baseball game walking to the stadium. That was the second day I was on Toprol. Today is when I had the chest pain when excercising.
My history is that I have been looking for answers to these chest pains for years. I've been told it is just anxiety. I've had ever test out there except the one I should probably have the heart cath. Again a few weeks ago I had a thaium stess done, everything was great. Still couldn't except the anxiety answer so I went to this new cardiogiolist who was recommend very highly and from just listening to my heart heard the "click" and he diagnosed MVP. He is doing an echo on the 25th.
I will call him in the morning and see what he says about the Toprol. Maybe it's just not for me. It's just funny that I never had shortness of breath before or chest pains with excercise until now.
Thank you again for you help. I apprecitated it very, very much.

Last edited by aeq777; 05-16-2005 at 11:23 PM.

Closed Thread