It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

Frustrated5 HB User
PVC's

Hi! I'm new to the heart form and just wanted to ask if anyone here has PVC's? I was diagnosed with them about 6 months ago after a EKG and holter monitor test. They said my heart was fine I just had these PVC's. So i felt better for a while and just resently I've come down with a lot of illnesses at once. My PVC's are much stronger than they ever have been and just started when i got sick and got on antibiotics(Septra). I wondered if there was some corelation there.It really scares me..I've been having bouts of them that last for hours. And I also suffer from anxiety and it has also gotten much worse. I am on Lopressor and xanex for the problems.
I just need to hear from someone else that has experienced this. And should i go get more testing done? The doc seem pretty certain that my heart is o.k but when I get these wierd beats its hard to believe.
Thanks for any input!
K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
(female)

CANEY GIRL HB User
Re: PVC's

Hello Frustrated5, Sorry Your Having A Hard Time. I Have Had Pvc's And I Know How Frightening They Can Be. Please Stay Calm And Know That They Are Benign. Trust Your Doctors When They Say That Your Heart Is Fine. Anxiety Only Makes You More Afraid.hope You Feel Better Soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Sissypie HB User

PVC's are very scary and frustrating. I've had bouts of them since I was in my 20's, but didn't know what they were until I was in my 30's. I also had the EKG's and holter monitor, and was told by the cardiologist that what was happening was so common that he could literally go in and pull 70% of his charts and show me the same thing.

At the time I wasn't really comforted by that comment because I was figuring most of those charts he was using for an example were probably 75 year old people too. Since then, I have had many episodes of PVC, and also PAT's. They seem to last for several days in a row, and then disappear on their own for long periods of time. Some of them have been pretty scary because it seems like the pause is pretty long before it starts beating again.

There are a lot of factors that can contribute to PVC's. Hormones, dehydration, anxiety, and electrolyte imbalances to name a few. Unfortunately, some people just get them and never can find the cause.

Beta Blockers can help, along with magnesium and potassium sometimes. My doctor told me chug down some ice water if I get a bunch of pvc's in a row. It's supposed to get the rhythm back to normal.

Anxiety does make them worse, so try to calm down if you can.

Best wishes,
Sandi

Old 05-26-2005, 12:01 AM   #4
(male)

aldersonarts HB User

I have been to the ER several times for my PVC's. I have had three stress tests that say I'm okay. A group of doctors wanted to admit me to the hospital because I was having so many PVC's in one minute and had arm pain to go along with the PVC's, but my insurance company wouldn't pay for the admission so I took a stress test and went home. PVC's are incredibly frightening. One doctor gave me Prozac for the PVC's because of the relationship between having the PVC's and Anxiety Disorder. I took the Prozac for about a week before I just couldn't stand the skipped beats anymore and decided to do some research on my own.
Here is what works for me:
I have to manage stress
I take a Magnesium supplement
I eat more fish and seeds-Sunflower and Pumpkin-(I was craving fish and seeds and nuts, all high in Magnesium, when the PVC's were at there worst. I even had the eyelid twitches. Funny though, my serum Magnesium was normal. Imagine that).
Even though I take Lisinopril and need to be careful of my Potassium levels getting to high, I eat a banana everyday or I get more PVC's.
Exercise really helps
Then I'll still get a bad bout of PVC's no matter what I do if I get even slightly irregular or constipated. (Can someone explain that connection?)
Read about Magnesium. It saved my sanity.

Old 05-26-2005, 06:18 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I know that there are different causes for them but mine went away almost completely after I got off caffeine (including chocolate) and sudafed. You might consider this if you haven't already. And cough when you are having the attacks...it helps put the heart back in rhythm. I do that now when I have them - though they are few and far between.

Closed Thread