It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

peepers566 HB User
High heart rate

Hi, never have posted here before most of the time I post on the back boards.
I have had a on going issue with a resting heart rate of about 110 it can increase to 130 with out any problems. The doctor has done blood work and ekg and echo and she says everything is ok, I do need to say I am in the process of changing doctors due to neglance(sp?) from a back injury that needed surgery!!!!
My chest sometimes feels a little weird, not sure how to put it in words. I've looked into the meds I am taking to see if any of them would casue the increased heart rate, none of them do.
I first noticed the problem about 3 years ago.
I am a little out of shape due to the back injury, I am about 30lbs overweight.
My blood pressure is normal if not a little on the low side at about 100/60. I have started walking again now that the pain from back has decresed, I can walk almost 3 miles with no problems.
Is this a issue that I need to be worried about, I see the new doctor on June 2nd.
Thanks
Peepers

Old 05-29-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
(male)

andrew35 HB User
Re: High heart rate

Is heart rate of 93 is also considered high? My heart rate has also be this high for years. I had saw a heart doctor before and he said there wasn't any problems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 05:46 PM   #3

JAMJTX HB User

I also have a high resting heart rate. I came to this board looking for some answers to related questions.

I was doing some reading and experimenting. I took my pules, took a potassium supplement and an hour later took my pulse again. I stayed resting in between and my puls was 14 beats per minute less.

I am trying to read up on other vitamin/mineral deficiencies that could cause a rapid pulse.

Old 06-01-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willdo
If your resting heart rate is 110 to 130, you have tachycardia (pathological rapid heart rate). Nicotine and caffeine can increase our heart rate. Many years of untreated tachycardia, can lead to an enlarged heart, I have read.

Think about how many times your heart will have to beat, over the coming years, just to sustain you while you are at rest, compared to a person with a normal heart rate. Your heart is being overworked.
I agree with you. But, in my case, only seven months of untreated tachycardia led to heart failure (enlarged heart). My doctor told me, a heart that isn't allowed to rest, as it does between beats during a normal heart rate, will slowly weaken and enlarge.

Quote:
Usually beta blockers are prescribed to treat someone with tachycardia.
Digoxin, which is fairly inexpensive, does a good job at keeping my tachycardia under control.

Last edited by Machaon; 06-01-2005 at 09:26 AM.

Old 06-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #5
(female)

Ga Lady HB User

I was diagnosed with tachycardia when I was 25 years old. I always had a low bp reading then all of a sudden...It sky rocketed! I had an EKG and an Echo...The doctor put me on Tenormin (beta blocker)...I have been on it for 11 years now. The only side effects I notice..is it tends to slow me down and my heart! But I had much rather have my heart not having to work so hard and keep it low in rate than speeding all the time. It's like the motor of your body...You keep pressing the gas full speed then it's gonna end up blowing up! And I believe if I hadn't of got help when I did...I would have probably ended up having a stroke by now.

My resting heart rate was 130 and I had quit all caffeine and nicotine at that time...Before...I never noticed my heart racing and I drank coffee and Mtn Dews and smoked and had a low bp and normal heart rate...One year after quitting all of it...that's what happened...A fast heart rate and stroke level bp. And sadly yes...I did go back to smoking..and I still drink a little bit of caffeine!

Closed Thread