It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2005, 04:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Digoxin

Hello, I am new here, have been reading previous postings on A-fib, associated meds. I have SVT/a-fib....high pulse rate.....have been on verapamil for several months, but had another "gray out" in April, and my heart rate has been 90 - to - over 100 since then. My cardio wants me to start taking digoxin, in addition to the verapamil. My problem is, I am afraid of digoxin. I am very sensitive to meds. Can anyone tell me if they are on this med.? Do you have to have regular bloodwork? Are there any side effects??? Can anyone help me?? My cardio said we should try adding this med. and if it doesn't work, he will send me to an EP for an ablation. Any suggestions?

Old 05-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Digoxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage48
I have SVT/a-fib....high pulse rate.....have been on verapamil for several months, but had another "gray out" in April, and my heart rate has been 90 - to - over 100 since then. My cardio wants me to start taking digoxin, in addition to the verapamil. My problem is, I am afraid of digoxin.
Digoxin works very well for me. It is the most effective med, that I have tried, that keeps my heart rate, and heart beat, fairly regular. Digoxin's effectiveness at slowing the heart rate, and helping the heart to beat stronger, are some of the reasons why Digoxin's been around for a couple of hundred years. Plus....... it's cheap.

I have been on digoxin for about twenty years for SVT/a-fib and high pulse rate, among other reasons. The main side effect that I get from this med is tiredness and lack of motivation, which I have learned to live with, and overcome.

I have also been on Verapamil for many years, three times a day. I can't take the Verapamil within 2.5 hours of Digoxin, or it will cause additional problems with my heart rhythm.

You might not have the same drug interaction between Verapamil and Digoxin that I did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #3
(female)

Trainor HB User

Hi Sage,

My grandfather has been on Digoxin for many years after trying many other meds that didn't work well for him. He says he's happy with it, and he leads a very active life, though he is in constant afib.

Also, my mom just went on Digoxin about a week ago after trying several of the same drugs that didn't work for my grandfather. So far so good. I'm hoping it will work as well for her as it does for my grandfather. She also has had two pulmonary vein ablations for her afib. She still has afib, but they are fewer and farther between. Good luck!

Angie

Old 05-22-2005, 01:58 PM   #4
(male)

WHY?? HB User

I take lanoxin/ digoxin and atenolol for severe SVT. Digoxin makes me very tired, and very angry. I guess the med has diff effects on peole but the doc says digoxin will make you very tired.

Closed Thread