It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2005, 07:36 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Live-Life-to-Love HB User
What is YOUR story when getting off a BETA BLOCKER?

I've been reading alot of stories on this board about Beta Blockers and how hard it is to stop taking them. Any other people here who have any war stories to tell? How they felt while they were slowly coming off the drugs, how long it took and how they coped. Someone said they used valium...I know one drug for another is not smart but if it would help.....I'd like some opinions.

I tried getting of Toprol once (just can't find the time when my husband is home so I won't be totally resonsible for the kids... all alone and I freak out) and it was horrible.

My symptoms were immediate (two hours after missed dose) rapid heart, overall fogginess of the brain, can't think straight, overwhelming feeling of doom, then anxiety kicks in because I feel chest pain.

I started Toprol in October when I started having spikes of high blood pressure with crazy a crazy rapid heart. Then they noticed that my resting heart rate was 100+ so they said Toprol would help. It would calm me down. But they didn't tell me that it was a SERIOUS drug that you can't just stop and that it had so many side effects.

Ever since I have been on Toprol I have not had an episode and my heart rate is steady around 60. Now, I'd like to try to get off to see where I stand. I don't want to be on a beata blocker for the rest of my life and besides, I am soooo tired all the time while on Toprol. I need to try to get my life back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 06:33 PM   #2
(female)

AmericanDream HB User
Re: What is YOUR story when getting off a BETA BLOCKER?

Wow Willdo, thanks for sharing your story. I'm currently weening myself off beta blockers and I feel great. After reading what happened to you, I'm definately going to monitor my blood pressure and pulse. I wasn't going to take any tonight but I think I better. What I ended up doing is cutting my pill in half and then cut that in half.

I have to admit, I'm not sold on doctors anymore because mine never told me this would be a factor. I'm going to switch doctors because of this.

Thanks again!

Closed Thread