It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #1
(female)

Old Hollywood HB User
Has anyone experienced a breathless/winded feeling with palpitations?

Hello,

I was hoping someone might be able to help answer a question for me regarding heart palpitations. I have been suffering from an increase of heart palpitations (PVC's) in recent weeks and have noticed that I tend to feel temporarily breathless or winded when they are occurring. They also seem to produce a small cough at times. I'm not sure if this is normal or sign of something more serious. Has anyone here ever experienced this breathless/winded feeling with their palpitations? Thank you in advance for your help!

Sincerely,
Jennifer

Old 05-26-2005, 10:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

gingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB Usergingertea HB User
Re: Has anyone experienced a breathless/winded feeling with palpitations?

I have the same symptoms, except I get PAC's instead of PVC's. Feels like someone sits on your chest and forces you to cough. Some days I get winded just from standing up too fast, or climbing the stairs. My heart is in great condition.....just passed a stress test with flying colors. I'm thinking it's just a symptom of perimenopause.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 10:43 PM   #3
(female)

Old Hollywood HB User

Hi Gingertea,

Thanks so much for responding to my post. It is reassuring to hear that someone else has experienced something similar. I have never seen it described quite like this, so it was beginning to worry me. Does anyone else get this feeling?

Thanks again,
Jennifer

Old 05-27-2005, 05:02 AM   #4
(female)

heartcreature HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea
I have the same symptoms, except I get PAC's instead of PVC's. Feels like someone sits on your chest and forces you to cough. Some days I get winded just from standing up too fast, or climbing the stairs. My heart is in great condition.....just passed a stress test with flying colors. I'm thinking it's just a symptom of perimenopause.
gingertea I get a little concerned when women post that they've just passed a stress test and their heart is fine. I don't think a lot of women are aware that a stress test often misses real problems going on with the heart. If you continue to have that feeling of someone sitting on your chest and breathlessness when climbing stairs I would look into further testing. This is coming from the voice of experience.

Old Hollywood I get just a very quick sensation that I'm losing my breath when I have a palpitation but with more serious problems that feeling of losing your breath is much longer lasting.

Old 05-27-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
(female)

britrose HB User

Hi Jennifer,
Yes, i too have the same symptoms. After going through this for a few months, and ending up in the ER as it was so bad i nearly passed out, i went to a heart Dr. who did a series of tests incl. stress test and a 24 hr. monitor. He diagnosed me with Mitral Valve Prolapse and put me on a beta blocker. Much better since although i still have palpitations occasionally. Get to the Dr. and have it checked out.
Good Luck!!

Old 05-27-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
(female)

Old Hollywood HB User

Heartcreature:

Thank you for the information. The breathless feeling I have during a palpitation is pretty quick, not long lasting. Take care!

Britrose:

Thank you for your post. I've actually had several cardiac tests up to this point, but was curious if anyone else had experienced this same sensation along with their palps. Good luck to you too!

Healthy100:
Thanks for writing. I too am curious why we have this feeling. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks everyone for your responses,
Jennifer

Old 05-27-2005, 09:56 PM   #7
(male)

DarkChange HB User

Hi, I have those alot when I walk for maybe 5 minutes or If I run, I also sometimes randomly get them before I go to sleep and I cant even sleep because it gives me trouble with breathing and I can feel it the whole time...Im taking a stress test on wednesday to figure out what all this is causing. Sorry that I cant help but I just wanted to say that I have the same things and im also constantly worried about it.

Old 05-28-2005, 04:56 AM   #8
(female)

Godiswithyou HB User

Heartcreature...I'm with you ...I passed every cardiac test out there, in fact I just passed one with flying colors two weeks ago..but with persistence and a new doctor..they finally gave me a heart cath and discovered I had a 90% blockage and put in 3 stents. And I am only 39 years old. I had the same symptoms.. shortness of breath walking or climbing stairs. PVC's (still get those even after stents) And the last symptoms I got were the pains in my chest (and not those classic ..an elephant sitting on my chest pain) and weird little pains in my shoulders and arm. The pain that made me say..something is not right...were the jaw pains. Even the doctor after me describing my pains..called 911 and sent me to the ER from his office. And again because I was "too young" it couldnt possibly be my heart. I'm sorry but ..IN YOUR FACE DOCTORS ...I wish they would stop generalizing people and see them as individuals. I lived going around in the same medical circle for 4 years! Finally God sent me a real doctor!!

Old 06-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #9

ptronis HB User

Hi I have a question. My Dad died on the operating table 2 years ago during a heart procedure. He had a couple by-pass surgeries in his 40s and 50s and I know he had stents. My mom had a quadruple bypass in her 50s. I went to a cardiologist for chest pains,fast heartbeat, shortness of breath, heartburn, and coughing. They did an ultrasound and the tech said everything was fine. They did blood work and a chest xray too. I also had to wear a heart monitor for 24 hours but had no problems. I am awaiting the test results now. I have a feeling because no one has called and the tests were done 5 days ago and with what the tech said, that everything will come out ok. But, I am very intune with my body. I am 34 and the syptoms are not normal. Do I ask the Dr. for furthur testing? I don't want to go through it if I am fine but I want to know. I am not a hypochondriac at all and do not suffer from anxiety. HELP

Old 06-10-2005, 05:16 AM   #10
(female)

Godiswithyou HB User
Exclamation Re: Has anyone experienced a breathless/winded feeling with palpitations?

PUSH FOR THE CATH PTRONIS! I'm telling you! I suffered for years with the same symptoms and they did all the normal tests..ekg..stress...echo..thalium..nucl ear....all of it..and I always passed the tests with flying colors. You know your body better than anyone..DO NOT LET THEM CONVINCE YOU IT IS ANXIETY OR ALL IN YOUR HEAD. I was made to feel that way to the point I wanted to kill myself cause everyone thought I was a crazy hypochondriac and I guess I felt I had no hope cause I couldnt get anyone to take me seriously. I too have a family history of heart disease...all the more reason for you to get checked out! Dont let these doctors destroy you mentally...get the tests you need! And I repeat the ONLY 100% test is the cath..and again..dont let them tell you that you are too young! I am only 39 and I started developing the symptoms at 35.

Old 06-10-2005, 07:58 AM   #11

ptronis HB User

You Are Awesome. Thanks.

Old 06-12-2005, 01:03 AM   #12
(female)

cheer up HB User

Godiswithyou --

Hello there --

Good for you for pushing for the cath, but I don't have much luck or know if I even need it. I'm 56 now and started having noticeable palps about 5 years ago. They were little blips at first, then as I agonized over them they got worse and YES, I would feel breathless and like I would faint (never did).

I still get some on occasion, especially when tired or stressed. I have had numerous EKGs, a stress echo, worn an "event" monitor for a month, and had my heart listened to several times very carefully via stethoscope by a supposedly excellent electrophysiologist here in L.A. -- arrythmia is his specialty.

Also, about every six months I have some sort of weird pain/discomfort episode or other and used to run in to the cardio doc's office to tell him about it. Some episodes feel like the way angina is described, some like strange muscle spasm, etc., but they're never quite the same.

My cholesterol is high but HDL is VERY high so ratios are excellent. My internist wanted me to use Lipitor but cardiologist said nah -- don't bother. I said what would YOU do given my weird episodes, arrythmia and high overall cholesterol?

I am already taking a very low doze of Atenolol for the palps, though they say I don't "need it" and low dose Xanax because I do have a lot of anxiety and always have. Unfortunately, too much gets chalked up to anxiety, I think. Honestly, I think I could drop dead and most of these docs would be talking about my anxiety.

Cardiologist said "go get a calcium scan of the heart!" "That's how we'll know what's really going on and if you need a cholesterol controlling drug." Well, I did -- went to Cedars-Sinai here in L.A. and forked over the money. Guess what -- even at my over 50 age I had a ZERO calcium score, so docs say don't take Lipitor now. In fact, I was so popular at Cedars that they said I was one of their "stars" and they want to track my situation over the years so they've got my address and will be in touch. Gee, I feel special .....

But.... I still get these weird "pain" episodes and all they do is shrug their shoulders at that. Right on my sign-in sheet at Cedars they say "reason for test -- complaint of atypical angina." I cannot understand why no doctors think this is worth pursuing further!!!

Do you think I should keep tracking down MORE doctors until someone will approve a cardiac cath? The high speed CT scan (EBCT I think it's called) is supposed to be state of the art but I do know here is a teeny fraction of people out there who have angina (Prinzmetal's or variant) and no hardened arteries.

What would YOU do? I am so sick of doctors and tests that I could scream.

Closed Thread