We have been given a "cautious" green light. My EF is 40% and all enlargement is gone. My Cardio says that if my heart "stays" at 40, I'll do fine. I'll keep taking my Coreg, but will have to switch from Enalapril to another "safer" BP med. However, I can keep taking the Enalapril for a while in the beginning of the pregnancy. It's dangerous at the end as it can cause kidney failure in the fetus. I've consulted with a High Risk/OB and he's also told us it's "do-able" but there will be lots of tests and monitoring. Also, he just cautioned us to the fact the my health "trumps" the baby....and if I start to decline at anytime, we have to terminate. That's what we're having a hard time with now. I go back in July and have another echo.....and, if stronger, we'll proceed with trying.
Wow, I wish you all the best. Please keep me posted.
Your EF is 40% now? How do you feel? Do you have any symptoms at all?
What type of myopathty do you have? Dialated? Hypotorphic ? (sp)
Keep in touch
I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy....most likely caused by a virus. Whatever it was came and went and is now gone. All of my enlargement is gone and I feel absolutely great. I exercise, mow the lawn.......I'd never know it. Except for the hand full of pills I take twice a day.
I rarely feel bad at all, just tired on some days when the humidity is high. That seems to make me really draggy. But, I don't have swelling....anything!
That is great! I may have cardiomyopathy r/t virus. I had a cardiac arrest JUne 04. My EF was 10 percent, went to 70 percent, and now back down to 45 percent. I switched medication, Coreg and Enalapril to Topril and it caused my EF to go back down..... You can have a baby on coreg??? PLEASE KEEP ME UPDATED....we are really wanting to try, but we are afraid with my EF being so low and the medication....how old are you? I am 23 Do you have arrythmias?
Hi there!!!! It's nice to meet you...and feel free to ask me anything! I'm 37 now and my bio clock is winding down. That's why we're pushing to make these decisions. If you're only 23....you have LOTS of time to get yourself healed before you proceed. My High-Risk OB said that I will be on Coreg for the whole pregnancy.....but will have to taper off the Enalapril. I do have a few "flutters" now and then.....but I've worn the holter twice and my Cardio is not at all concerned. I seem to notice them when things are really stressful in my life and maybe if I haven't slept enough or had too much caffeine. I wish you the best. What was the time frame on your EF jump from 10% to 70%????
No, I didn't go to Boston. And, yes...they "believe" it was a virus. I have no others blockages or signs of distress. I started getting really short of breath and had swelling in my ankles. They thought I had bronchitus/pneumonia....... Go figure! I really got on my local hospital when this was all over with and told them not to "ignore" these types of symptoms in young women!!! I could have died if I wouldn't have gone elsewhere.
Immediately,after the birth of my son, I had a cardio myopathy and pulmonary edemas. I almost died. I was on a respirator for 5 days after it happened. It went undetected during my pregnancy. I had heart failure during my pregnancy, which caused me to swell up uncontrollably. I was in the hospital for two weeks after my newborn went home, trying to recover. I was tested for toximea, gestational diabeties, (which went undeteced until I was 8 months) and everything under the sun. They could not find the cause of my swelling.
I was also 38 at the time, with my first and only full term pregnancy. My baby also 9 lbs, 14.7 ounces.
It was pretty horrible lying in bed on a respirator, thinking you are dying, and leaving behind your gorgeous newborn.
I also took Phen-fen, in late ninties, which I truly believed was the cause of it.
Long story short, I was told not to EVER GET PREGNANT AGAIN! I actually had my tubes tied during my stay in the hospital.
I still have a slightly enlarged heart.
But, Jordan was worth it, and I would do it again if it would be the only way I could have him.
I hear these stories all the time, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that I should be scared to death, but I feel like mine was found and I've had the chance to recover AND be monitored throughout pregnancy. We don't have ANY children and I think I'd regret if I didn't try at least ONCE .....
Carrob2003, I am in the same situation as you. My husband and I have talked about us having our own child so many times. I've told my story in past posts, maybe you have read it maybe not. When I was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy I was 20 weeks pregnant. My EF was at 10% and my heart was very enlarged. I had to terminate, it was the hardest desicion that I have ever had to make. Just be sure you are ready for what ever may come down the road. It's been 3 years and it's still really hard for me to deal with. My husband always says yes I'd love to have a child with you but I want a child to raise with you not alone. I hope everything works out for you, I thought like you for a long long time. I'd say they found it I'm better now so why not try? But then I think about what if something goes wrong again, am I ready to die? Do I really want to have a child and then be too sick or dead to raise it? It's hard I know and you are young, you still have time. With medicine today they may have a cure for us next week. Good luck to you and I really do wish you the best and hope your dreams come true.
I am 38 and I am in my 5th month of pregnancy. I had a Defib/ pacemaker put in last year and I take Coreg right now. So far so good. I am handling pregnancy well and the baby is growing and has no signs of any problems.
My medical team wasnt thrilled that I became pregnant but they are working with me, despite their opinions. I can't find too many women or studies out there of successful pregnancies with congestive heart failure patients BEFORE becoming pregnant. Anyone have any sites they have found or personal testimonies?
I'm just now beginning my research on having a baby and am not sure what to do. My story...I found out I have cardiomyopathy two years ago. My EF was at 30ish%, but what scared everyone was that both my father (31) and grandmother (42) died of heart problems.
My dilemma, I am 32 years old, getting married this January and would really love to have a child with my husband. I would also love to adopt but for some reason I feel very strongly about having at least one child through childbirth. My EF is at 62% now, and my doctor is willing to work with me thus far. He's cut my Coreg dose in half and has taken me off the cozaar and spirolanct?whatever. I go back in two months for more tests with the possiblity of cutting all meds for another 4 months, then more tests or if my EF goes down again, well my hopes of pregnancy are pretty much history.
What is my question? Anyone out there with good news?
Is there any information on how the fetus/baby might react to Coreg...any future side effects? Any websites that might help?
I am a little over 5 months pregnant and I am taking Coreg. I also had congestive Heart failure and havea defib/ pacemaker. Let me know if you want more information.
Hi Leigh and everyone else. I am just joining today and my story is similar to everyone else's. Last summer, a month after celebrating my 1-yr wedding anniversary, I was diagnosed at 37 with cardiomyopathy (dilated). There is no family history and the doctors are not certain of the cause. The guess is that it resulted from some sort of undetected viral infection, but no one knows. My EF was less than 20%, so I had the surgery 2 weeks after being diagnosed to implant the defib/pacemaker. We were told by the cardiologist last summer not to get pregnant because of my condition and that we needed to focus on adopting a child. The good news is that at last month's cardiology appointment I had an echo done and my EF is now up to 40% and the cardiologist has cleared us to "talk" with an OB. We have an appointment with a high-risk pregnancy OB next week. As everyone else has said, it is difficult to find any information about women who already have cardiomyopathy and then get pregnant or the effects of the Coreg or other medications on the baby. I would appreciate it if you or anyone else would send me/direct me to any information concerning this, so my husband and I can be as informed as possible as we embark on this next journey together.
Just wanted to say good luck on your high-risk pregnancy OB appointment next week. I know exactly how you feel. It is very scary because you cannot find anyone out there who has gone through this already. And doctors don't really want the responsibility. But there is so much new technology now that I am sure everything will be fine. I am going to start trying as soon as I get back from Florida at the end of May. The only thing that sucks is I wanted to lose atleast 20 lbs before I do it. But ever since I got sick and had to go on meds I cannot lose no matter what I do. It is very frustrating. But I think I have waited long enough already and if I have not lost it by now I am not going to. The only thing I am losing is my mind....lol Well good luck again and let us know how everything turns out