It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Heart Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2005, 06:42 AM   #1
(female)

Eeyore1973 HB User
Question Cardiomyopathy and pregnancy??? Anyone??

Has anyone here gotten a green light to go ahead and have a baby with pre-exsisting cardiomyopathy?

Old 05-31-2005, 04:05 PM   #2

carrob2003 HB User
Re: Cardiomyopathy and pregnancy??? Anyone??

We have been given a "cautious" green light. My EF is 40% and all enlargement is gone. My Cardio says that if my heart "stays" at 40, I'll do fine. I'll keep taking my Coreg, but will have to switch from Enalapril to another "safer" BP med. However, I can keep taking the Enalapril for a while in the beginning of the pregnancy. It's dangerous at the end as it can cause kidney failure in the fetus. I've consulted with a High Risk/OB and he's also told us it's "do-able" but there will be lots of tests and monitoring. Also, he just cautioned us to the fact the my health "trumps" the baby....and if I start to decline at anytime, we have to terminate. That's what we're having a hard time with now. I go back in July and have another echo.....and, if stronger, we'll proceed with trying.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
(female)

Eeyore1973 HB User

Wow, I wish you all the best. Please keep me posted.
Your EF is 40% now? How do you feel? Do you have any symptoms at all?
What type of myopathty do you have? Dialated? Hypotorphic ? (sp)
Take care!!
Keep in touch

Old 06-02-2005, 02:39 PM   #4

carrob2003 HB User

I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy....most likely caused by a virus. Whatever it was came and went and is now gone. All of my enlargement is gone and I feel absolutely great. I exercise, mow the lawn.......I'd never know it. Except for the hand full of pills I take twice a day.

I rarely feel bad at all, just tired on some days when the humidity is high. That seems to make me really draggy. But, I don't have swelling....anything!

Keep in touch!
Carla

Old 06-17-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
(female)

arrest04 HB User

That is great! I may have cardiomyopathy r/t virus. I had a cardiac arrest JUne 04. My EF was 10 percent, went to 70 percent, and now back down to 45 percent. I switched medication, Coreg and Enalapril to Topril and it caused my EF to go back down..... You can have a baby on coreg??? PLEASE KEEP ME UPDATED....we are really wanting to try, but we are afraid with my EF being so low and the medication....how old are you? I am 23 Do you have arrythmias?

Last edited by arrest04; 06-17-2005 at 05:35 PM.

Old 06-20-2005, 07:30 AM   #6

carrob2003 HB User

Hi there!!!! It's nice to meet you...and feel free to ask me anything! I'm 37 now and my bio clock is winding down. That's why we're pushing to make these decisions. If you're only 23....you have LOTS of time to get yourself healed before you proceed. My High-Risk OB said that I will be on Coreg for the whole pregnancy.....but will have to taper off the Enalapril. I do have a few "flutters" now and then.....but I've worn the holter twice and my Cardio is not at all concerned. I seem to notice them when things are really stressful in my life and maybe if I haven't slept enough or had too much caffeine. I wish you the best. What was the time frame on your EF jump from 10% to 70%????

Old 06-20-2005, 10:31 AM   #7
(female)

arrest04 HB User

From June 2004 to March 2005, my EF improved!! Are you the one who went to Boston? What symptoms do you have for them to diagnose you with cardiomyopathy....did a virus attack your heart

Last edited by arrest04; 06-20-2005 at 10:33 AM.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #8

carrob2003 HB User

No, I didn't go to Boston. And, yes...they "believe" it was a virus. I have no others blockages or signs of distress. I started getting really short of breath and had swelling in my ankles. They thought I had bronchitus/pneumonia....... Go figure! I really got on my local hospital when this was all over with and told them not to "ignore" these types of symptoms in young women!!! I could have died if I wouldn't have gone elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
(female)

Sadlyn HB User

O my

Immediately,after the birth of my son, I had a cardio myopathy and pulmonary edemas. I almost died. I was on a respirator for 5 days after it happened. It went undetected during my pregnancy. I had heart failure during my pregnancy, which caused me to swell up uncontrollably. I was in the hospital for two weeks after my newborn went home, trying to recover. I was tested for toximea, gestational diabeties, (which went undeteced until I was 8 months) and everything under the sun. They could not find the cause of my swelling.

I was also 38 at the time, with my first and only full term pregnancy. My baby also 9 lbs, 14.7 ounces.

It was pretty horrible lying in bed on a respirator, thinking you are dying, and leaving behind your gorgeous newborn.

I also took Phen-fen, in late ninties, which I truly believed was the cause of it.

Long story short, I was told not to EVER GET PREGNANT AGAIN! I actually had my tubes tied during my stay in the hospital.

I still have a slightly enlarged heart.

But, Jordan was worth it, and I would do it again if it would be the only way I could have him.

Last edited by Sadlyn; 06-22-2005 at 01:18 PM.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
(female)

arrest04 HB User

Did you have cardiomyopathy before you were pregnant?

Old 06-22-2005, 08:42 PM   #11
(female)

Sadlyn HB User

NO, it was supposedly brought on by the pregnancy

I really think it was the diet drugs that I had taken. They caused heart valve damage, which lead to the heart failure and the cardiomyopathy.

In my last trimester, I was always short of breath, and gained a lot of fluid.

I lost 45 pounds while in the hospital. And the baby was 10 lbs...over half was excess fluid....

Old 06-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
(female)

Sadlyn HB User

Sounds very very similiar to my story. I had the constant cough too, and my dr also thought it was a sinus infection.

Turns out I was actually suffocating from all of the fluid that was building up in my body.

Horrible Horrible experience, but at least I am alive and I also got the greatest joy of my life from it:
JORDAN - My BOY!

Old 06-24-2005, 11:23 AM   #13

carrob2003 HB User

I hear these stories all the time, and I'm so sorry for your loss. I know that I should be scared to death, but I feel like mine was found and I've had the chance to recover AND be monitored throughout pregnancy. We don't have ANY children and I think I'd regret if I didn't try at least ONCE .....

Old 06-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #14
(female)

Jamora HB User

Carrob2003, I am in the same situation as you. My husband and I have talked about us having our own child so many times. I've told my story in past posts, maybe you have read it maybe not. When I was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy I was 20 weeks pregnant. My EF was at 10% and my heart was very enlarged. I had to terminate, it was the hardest desicion that I have ever had to make. Just be sure you are ready for what ever may come down the road. It's been 3 years and it's still really hard for me to deal with. My husband always says yes I'd love to have a child with you but I want a child to raise with you not alone. I hope everything works out for you, I thought like you for a long long time. I'd say they found it I'm better now so why not try? But then I think about what if something goes wrong again, am I ready to die? Do I really want to have a child and then be too sick or dead to raise it? It's hard I know and you are young, you still have time. With medicine today they may have a cure for us next week. Good luck to you and I really do wish you the best and hope your dreams come true.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:10 AM   #15
(female)

Baby on Board HB User

I am 38 and I am in my 5th month of pregnancy. I had a Defib/ pacemaker put in last year and I take Coreg right now. So far so good. I am handling pregnancy well and the baby is growing and has no signs of any problems.
My medical team wasnt thrilled that I became pregnant but they are working with me, despite their opinions. I can't find too many women or studies out there of successful pregnancies with congestive heart failure patients BEFORE becoming pregnant. Anyone have any sites they have found or personal testimonies?
God Bless..

Leigh

Closed Thread